Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 5: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He said it was scheduled to end June 30th. As in, the latest possible date in the strike shortened season.

It ended sooner due to series not going their full length.
6 days doesn’t change the argument. Regardless, there is zero chance for this to have a full playoffs (much less full season which was being mentioned as a “want” in an earlier post) unless it’s all settled in maybe 4 weeks. That’s best case. And 4 weeks seems like dreaming on a star.

I hope so, but this has all the marking of a 2mo hiatus — at best. IMO

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
6 days doesn’t change the argument. Regardless, there is zero chance for this to have a full playoffs (much less full season which was being mentioned as a “want” in an earlier post) unless it’s all settled in maybe 4 weeks. That’s best case. And 4 weeks seems like dreaming on a star.

I hope so, but this has all the marking of a 2mo hiatus — at best. IMO

Meh. Not a big deal either way.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’ll wager improvements in cooling technologies and insulation will offset a handful of needy sites.
Regardless of the argument on ice conditions.

The venues are always booked. They are going to have to reschedule a litany of things, from NBA, to concerts, to monster truck shows. On top of the NHL. 2mo of lost usage.

demanding the NHL get their full slate is LOL

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

The venues are always booked. They are going to have to reschedule a litany of things, from NBA, to concerts, to monster truck shows. On top of the NHL. 2mo of lost usage.

Ok I'm not demanding anything. I'm saying it's possible and all they have to do is either shorten the off-season, or start the next session later, or a combination of both. The argument that they can't play games in the summer is bunk, they can if they want to. Ice quality is probably number 7 or 8 on the list of challenges they have to deal with.

You've misconstrued the entire concept here. We're in uncharted territory, let's just say they lose two months. They can decide to lose two months off of next season, two months off this season, or a mix of the two. Its really as simple as that.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ok I'm not demanding anything. I'm saying it's possible and all they have to do is either shorten the off-season, or start the next session later, or a combination of both. The argument that they can't play games in the summer is bunk, they can if they want to. Ice quality is probably number 7 or 8 on the list of challenges they have to deal with.

You've misconstrued the entire concept here. We're in uncharted territory, let's just say they lose two months. They can decide to lose two months off of next season, two months off this season, or a mix of the two. Its really as simple as that.
I would think the NHL would want to award a Stanley Cup this year and shorten next if needed.
The demand for sports when they come back. $$$ Gary Bettmen will probably follow the NBAs path again

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I would think the NHL would want to award a Stanley Cup this year and shorten next if needed.
The demand for sports when they come back. $$$ Gary Bettmen will probably follow the NBAs path again
They will absolutely want to have a champion. Dave is arguing that they have to play a full playoffs. He started with a full regular season too. Play the 82 and then the full 16 to win.

all I’ve been saying is that if this is a 60 day delay, then playing a full anything isn’t possible. It’s just not. He doesn’t want to hear it. Which is fine. But he’s wrong, and trying to use past examples doesn’t work. As he just said — we are in uncharted territory.

if this goes 60, the NHL will try to determine how to make the RS end fairly, and then will do some abridged version of the playoffs. It may be 16 teams. It may be less (or more if it means some “play in” type games). I’d be shocked if it took 16 wins to crown a champion. Again, not feasible (close to not possible, IMO).

Reactions: g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

demanding? Nah...I love a shortened first round or two idea....

best of 3, best of 5, best of 7.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
In regards to scheduling conflicts at Cap One during the summer, I think it'll be easier to reschedule NHL and NBA games than other stuff like concerts. I actually think performer events are more likely to be actually canceled than rescheduled.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
In regards to scheduling conflicts at Cap One during the summer, I think it'll be easier to reschedule NHL and NBA games than other stuff like concerts. I actually think performer events are more likely to be actually canceled than rescheduled.

I agree....although who knows what those contracts say about this type of event and cancellations, but I think the longterm team tenants will get first choice where they can legally.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I agree....although who knows what those contracts say about this type of event and cancellations, but I think the longterm team tenants will get first choice where they can legally.

True. Although I think the individual performers/performances are the ones who are going to be doing the canceling - not the venue.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
They will absolutely want to have a champion. Dave is arguing that they have to play a full playoffs. He started with a full regular season too. Play the 82 and then the full 16 to win.

all I’ve been saying is that if this is a 60 day delay, then playing a full anything isn’t possible. It’s just not. He doesn’t want to hear it. Which is fine. But he’s wrong, and trying to use past examples doesn’t work. As he just said — we are in uncharted territory.

if this goes 60, the NHL will try to determine how to make the RS end fairly, and then will do some abridged version of the playoffs. It may be 16 teams. It may be less (or more if it means some “play in” type games). I’d be shocked if it took 16 wins to crown a champion. Again, not feasible (close to not possible, IMO).

You're just inventing/fabricating my side of the argument for some strange reason. I'm not demanding anything, I'm not requiring anything. I laid out the four possible solutions that are all possible, even with a 60 day pause, and I stated my preference as to what happens. But for some reason you jumped down my hatch about demanding the impossible.

Scheduling conflicts can be worked out. Ice quality can be managed. There's nothing that makes playing into August or September impossible. If they're going to lose two months off games, they absolutely can choose to lose them off the front of next year instead of the back of this year. They have dealt with a late start before, and in fact dealt with a late finish as well. They can work this out however they see it best to do so.

If they don't play a full playoffs this year, I'm not going to be upset one bit. But I still have my preference for four full rounds. I like playoff hockey much more than October November hockey. So what?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I was going to post this exact sentiment. Don't want a Cup with an asterisk because you only needed to win 6 or 9 or 12 games. The NHL playoffs are a war of attrition and the winner had has truly earned the greatest trophy in sports. Don't dilute it at all, Gary.
This is where this all stated KSD. Seems pretty clear where you stood. Obviously none of us can demand anything. But your initial take was this.

perhaps it’s now diluted and I can understand and respect that. But please don’t paint me as making this up. These are your words.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You're just inventing/fabricating my side of the argument for some strange reason. I'm not demanding anything, I'm not requiring anything. I laid out the four possible solutions that are all possible, even with a 60 day pause, and I stated my preference as to what happens. But for some reason you jumped down my hatch about demanding the impossible.

Scheduling conflicts can be worked out. Ice quality can be managed. There's nothing that makes playing into August or September impossible. If they're going to lose two months off games, they absolutely can choose to lose them off the front of next year instead of the back of this year. They have dealt with a late start before, and in fact dealt with a late finish as well. They can work this out however they see it best to do so.

If they don't play a full playoffs this year, I'm not going to be upset one bit. But I still have my preference for four full rounds. I like playoff hockey much more than October November hockey. So what?
Please see above post.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This is where this all stated KSD. Seems pretty clear where you stood. Obviously none of us can demand anything. But your initial take was this.

perhaps it’s now diluted and I can understand and respect that. But please don’t paint me as making this up. These are your words.

I just have no idea where you converted "don't want" into "demanding" anything. They are not the same and just having a preference for a full playoffs seems to have made you get all agro on me. Whatever, we can agree to disagree on what is possible, but there's no need to put words into my mouth.

I'll actually retract my sentiment a bit. I'd rather have a Cup with an asterisk, than no Cup with a full four best of 7 series. But of all the hockey things we may miss out on with this virus stoppage, full playoffs would be the most disappointing to me vs the regular season end or the next season start, for what should be completely obvious reasons, the playoffs are simply better than the RS. Got any problem with that sentiment?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But of all the hockey things we may miss out on with this virus stoppage, full playoffs would be the most disappointing to me vs the regular season end or the next season start, for what should be completely obvious reasons, the playoffs are simply better than the RS. Got any problem with that sentiment?

I can say that watching the Nats win a play in game and then a best of 5 series when i thought they were both best of 7s(dopey me) was a blast.

I think we might find that a best of 3 round and or a best of 5 might be exciting. Certainly its a chance to try something new without having to actually change anything.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I just have no idea where you converted "don't want" into "demanding" anything. They are not the same and just having a preference for a full playoffs seems to have made you get all agro on me. Whatever, we can agree to disagree on what is possible, but there's no need to put words into my mouth.

I'll actually retract my sentiment a bit. I'd rather have a Cup with an asterisk, than no Cup with a full four best of 7 series. But of all the hockey things we may miss out on with this virus stoppage, full playoffs would be the most disappointing to me vs the regular season end or the next season start, for what should be completely obvious reasons, the playoffs are simply better than the RS. Got any problem with that sentiment?
I’m getting aggro? Why go there? I’m just disagreeing with you. Period end.

far as the asterisk — I already mentioned I thought Caps would get a Redskins type Cup win is this year. Of course I am ALL FOR IT

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I can say that watching the Nats win a play in game and then a best of 5 series when i thought they were both best of 7s(dopey me) was a blast.

I think we might find that a best of 3 round and or a best of 5 might be exciting. Certainly its a chance to try something new without having to actually change anything.

Well the Caps are built for the long playoff haul. They are big and physical and can wear down most anyone in a 7 game series.

In a 3 game series I don't like their chances at all. A couple bounces here and there and there's no chance to recover, like they did vs Columbus.

So, we'll see.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well the Caps are built for the long playoff haul. They are big and physical and can wear down most anyone in a 7 game series.

In a 3 game series I don't like their chances at all. A couple bounces here and there and there's no chance to recover, like they did vs Columbus.

So, we'll see.

I didn't say it was good for the Caps. I said it might be exciting. Nats played an elimination game in every round and trailed in each. It was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad