Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 5: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Here's the thing... if they ditch the RS now and jump right to playoffs, then half a dozen teams have legitimate claims that they were close to making the playoffs and got screwed out of the chance. It's especially egregious if they don't have every team play out an equal number of RS games. Just look at the Metro, two teams in the POs right now at 81 pts, one with 68 games and one with 70. Then two teams 1 or 2 pts back, again one with 68 and one with 70 games played. Unless they even those differences up at a bare minimum, there's no way they can declare "playoffs" with any sense of fairness at all. Then repeat for the other three divisions. Who gets in between Nashville and Vancouver?

But... if they finish this RS, no one can complain about shit, everyone got the same deal, the same pause, the same schedule, the same qty of games.

Next year, if they want a full offseason and decide to start late, everyone hits the starting blocks knowing the deal. They all get the same amount of games, they all start from zero, and no team is at an advantage or disadvantage vs any other team.

Also, thats only IF they decide to start late. They could, for the love of money, decide to have a short offseason and start close to on time, pack in a few more games per month, and call it good. We really don't know the plan yet, they don't even know. I just know, if games get skipped, they should be 2020/21 games, not games this season.
There isn’t going to be time for a “full everything”. This delay — at best — will be 3 weeks. Probably a lot longer.

I’d be far more in line with trying to find a champion. The last seeds (save once, I believe — the LA Kings) have never won a Cup. So any grousing from them is really immaterial. If you wanted to be in the playoffs when it was halted, then they should have played better until then. Win % is just that. It’s not related to games.

Anyway — it will probably just get cancelled. I don’t personally see this as being “safe” until they get a drug that will cure it. Otherwise it’s simply not safe. No cure, no large events.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Curious. Do you asterisk the 2013 Blackhawks Cup?

No, I don't. All teams had the same playing field and the playoffs were the full 4 series of best of 7. All teasms knew it would be more of a RS sprint than a marathon, no one got surprised by anything, That's the exact model I think could work here. They started that season on Jan 18. The RS was shortened but the playoffs were whole.

To TXPD: It's silly to worry about ice in July. Hockey is played in July all over and as always, both teams play on the same ice. All they need to do is turn the AC up more, its just a financial consideration. The 2013 finals had game 7 scheduled for June 30. July 30 isn't that dramatically different.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There isn’t going to be time for a “full everything”. This delay — at best — will be 3 weeks. Probably a lot longer.

I’d be far more in line with trying to find a champion. The last seeds (save once, I believe — the LA Kings) have never won a Cup. So any grousing from them is really immaterial. If you wanted to be in the playoffs when it was halted, then they should have played better until then. Win % is just that. It’s not related to games.

Anyway — it will probably just get cancelled. I don’t personally see this as being “safe” until they get a drug that will cure it. Otherwise it’s simply not safe. No cure, no large events.

There's time for whatever they decide to do. They have four basic options, any of them are on the table.

Cancel RS games this year and squeeze in playoffs to end roughly on time.
Cancel RS and playoffs this year and play next year in full.
Cancel RS games next year to start later and play this year in full whenever they do resume, however long that takes.
Shorten the offseason so that this year is full and next year is full, even if slightly delayed.

Out of those three choices, I prefer the third, finish this season whenever they can and shrink next year. Its entirely viable and its also fair, they've done this before. Or the 4th option but I suspect that is least likely. Granted, if they take two months off now, a full offseason is much less necessary.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
There's time for whatever they decide to do. They have four basic options, any of them are on the table.

Cancel RS games this year and squeeze in playoffs to end roughly on time.
Cancel RS and playoffs this year and play next year in full.
Cancel RS games next year to start later and play this year in full whenever they do resume, however long that takes.
Shorten the offseason so that this year is full and next year is full, even if slightly delayed.

Out of those three choices, I prefer the third, finish this season whenever they can and shrink next year. Its entirely viable and its also fair, they've done this before. Or the 4th option but I suspect that is least likely. Granted, if they take two months off now, a full offseason is much less necessary.
You are ignoring the impact of weather for the ability to make a good sheet of ice. You think Phoenix in July/August (or Vegas, or Tampa, or Dallas.....or even DC) will be able to do that?

I don’t think you are being at all realistic here.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
You are ignoring the impact of weather for the ability to make a good sheet of ice. You think Phoenix in July/August (or Vegas, or Tampa, or Dallas.....or even DC) will be able to do that?

I'm not ignoring it at all. They can deal with the heat of summer, the AC units and the ice making can handle it if they turn up the cold, it will just cost more in electricity. Hockey is played in the summer in the south all over. And if the ice isn't perfect, thats manageable. It's not like it would be a lake. And again, end of June vs end of summer is a few degrees difference, not 20 or 30 degrees.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

They will find a way if they can finish by mid July.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not ignoring it at all. They can deal with the heat of summer, the AC units and the ice making can handle it if they turn up the cold, it will just cost more in electricity. Hockey is played in the summer in the south all over. And if the ice isn't perfect, thats manageable. It's not like it would be a lake. And again, end of June vs end of summer is a few degrees difference, not 20 or 30 degrees.

that’s missing the point, I think. It’s one thing to play a few games in that heat. It’s another to play an entire playoffs. I remember the issues w Vegas ice during our SC win. It wasn’t good. At all.

google average temps in April 15 vs May 15 vs June 15 vs July 15. The difference between April 15 and June 15 is absolutely 20-30 degrees in many cities. So you’d be playing every single game in that. Not just.a handful based on who made it that far.

it’s not that simple, man.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that’s missing the point, I think. It’s one thing to play a few games in that heat. It’s another to play an entire playoffs. I remember the issues w Vegas ice during our SC win. It wasn’t good. At all.

google average temps in April 15 vs May 15 vs June 15 vs July 15. The difference between April 15 and June 15 is absolutely 20-30 degrees in many cities. So you’d be playing every single game in that. Not just.a handful based on who made it that far.

Playoff format adjustments may well be necessary

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Well, I think when the league gets the "all clear" to resume from the govt authorities, they will consider a lot of factors, primarily financial, CBA/NHLPA matters in terms of fairness and rest, and somewhere down lower on that list will be ice quality because again, I know this for a fact, they can turn the AC up to keep the ice playable. Its just financial considerations. If the ice is a little soft but all other considerations are met, I can't see them saying "Nope, cancel the season until we have perfect ice again".

Using the Vegas ice in the SCF is is not going to convince this Caps fan that they should not be playing in those conditions :D

Also, they play to the end of June every year. I posted that the difference between end of June vs end of July isn't that great. You changed it to compare April to July.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Well, I think when the league gets the "all clear" to resume from the govt authorities, they will consider a lot of factors, primarily financial, CBA/NHLPA matters in terms of fairness and rest, and somewhere down lower on that list will be ice quality because again, I know this for a fact, they can turn the AC up to keep the ice playable. Its just financial considerations. If the ice is a little soft but all other considerations are met, I can't see them saying "Nope, cancel the season until we have perfect ice again".

Using the Vegas ice in the SCF is is not going to convince this Caps fan that they should not be playing in those conditions :D

Also, they play to the end of June every year. I posted that the difference between end of June vs end of July isn't that great. You changed it to compare April to July.

no. I didn’t. You aren’t reading me. My point is that this is going to go on for far more than 3 weeks. It’s going to be arguably 60 days. At best. They will not be able to play a full season and a full playoffs. Regardless of your feelings on it. Things like arena issues (temperature is arguably the least of the concerns there....more like scheduling), player fitness, fan interest, TV time, etc etc will all get in the way.

you honestly seem to be arguing on ceremony, without taking any truly realistic approach to how your stance could “actually work”.

that’s fine. I’m not changing your mind. No problem at all.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
no. I didn’t. You aren’t reading me. My point is that this is going to go on for far more than 3 weeks. It’s going to be arguably 60 days. At best. They will not be able to play a full season and a full playoffs. Regardless of your feelings on it. Things like arena issues (temperature is arguably the least of the concerns there....more like scheduling), player fitness, fan interest, TV time, etc etc will all get in the way.

you honestly seem to be arguing on ceremony, without taking any truly realistic approach to how your stance could “actually work”.

that’s fine. I’m not changing your mind. No problem at all.

Well I agree that the pause will be longer than 3 weeks, closer to 60 days. But I disagree that all those obstacles are insurmountable if the league wants to finnish this RS and full playoffs. Of course I have no idea if that is what the league will do, I doubt they even know yet. Its obviously my preference but all we can do is wait and see.

As for changing my mind, nope, that will not happen... but in the meantime:

source.gif

:) ;)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My guess is restart between Memorial Day weekend and Mid June. They will need a week at least for a mini training camp. Like ive been saying. best of 3 first round. best of 3 or 5 second round. Best 5 or 7 last two rounds.

Personally, I find the short series dynamic an interesting change, though, it works against the Caps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Well I agree that the pause will be longer than 3 weeks, closer to 60 days. But I disagree that all those obstacles are insurmountable if the league wants to finnish this RS and full playoffs. Of course I have no idea if that is what the league will do, I doubt they even know yet. Its obviously my preference but all we can do is wait and see.

As for changing my mind, nope, that will not happen... but in the meantime:

source.gif

:) ;)
So you basically want to hope for the impossible and tune out all the reasons that the impossible won’t happen?

Ok, got it.

Rooting for winning the lottery is fun too?

You don’t need to apologize for being daft on this issue. I understand :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Lars Eller has more points than all but three players on the Nashville Predators. Thought it was interesting that our terrible, AHL-caliber 3C is outscoring essentially their entire team.
Like hell you say. I’d read on good authority — VERY GOOD Authority — that Lars Eller is a horrible player, couldn’t play in the minor leagues.....and may even be patient ZERO for the COVID-19 pandemic.

he’s the antichrist!!!!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Like hell you say. I’d read on good authority — VERY GOOD Authority — that Lars Eller is a horrible player, couldn’t play in the minor leagues.....and may even be patient ZERO for the COVID-19 pandemic.

he’s the antichrist!!!!
Can confirm, I saw Lars Eller kick a child on the street once and his hooves are enormous in person.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
On Eller: he has definitely become a core player in my eyes. I love players that bust their asses off on and off the ice to get better. At the age of 30, Eller decided to become a better lateral skater and it has certainly showed. His skating improvements have helped take him to a whole ‘nother level. He’d be a 2C on half of the other teams in the league, no?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
On Eller: he has definitely become a core player in my eyes. I love players that bust their asses off on and off the ice to get better. At the age of 30, Eller decided to become a better lateral skater and it has certainly showed. His skating improvements have helped take him to a whole ‘nother level. He’d be a 2C on half of the other teams in the league, no?

I love Eller, but there is a trend of players taking on skating coaches in the off season. Tom Wilson was the first one that Ive heard of but by now its almost a standard

Meanwhile, Eller was a brilliant choice by MacLellan. Collecting comments about him from those around the team, he has an edge and a determination that makes him.....unpopular at times. He offends people but there is something about that strength of ability that drives the group

Last edited:

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So you basically want to hope for the impossible and tune out all the reasons that the impossible won’t happen?

Ok, got it.

Rooting for winning the lottery is fun too?

You don’t need to apologize for being daft on this issue. I understand :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Ok first, what I'm suggesting is possible, you're suggesting is impossible, but I have evidence the league has done this before.

After the 2012 lockout they played a five day training camp then a 48 game schedule. That year the SCF finals were schedule to end June 30. They had a compressed off-season after that lockout as well, and started on time the next year.

All I'm saying is, given that they've already made on the fly adjustments to everything in the past, they can do it again and the limitations of what is possible are not yet known. Of course we just don't know when they get the green light again and that governs everything, I get that. But we also know the league will do everything it possibly can to award the Stanley Cup this year. Cutting short next season to finish this session is hardly a radical idea.

NHL will likely try anything to ensure Stanley Cup is awarded

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ok first, what I'm suggesting is possible, you're suggesting is impossible, but I have evidence the league has done this before.

After the 2012 lockout they played a five day training camp then a 48 game schedule. That year the SCF finals were schedule to end June 30. They had a compressed off-season after that lockout as well, and started on time the next year.

All I'm saying is, given that they've already made on the fly adjustments to everything in the past, they can do it again and the limitations of what is possible are not yet known. Of course we just don't know when they get the green light again and that governs everything, I get that. But we also know the league will do everything it possibly can to award the Stanley Cup this year. Cutting short next season to finish this session is hardly a radical idea.

NHL will likely try anything to ensure Stanley Cup is awarded
So much wrong with this post. Dude you aren’t comparing apples to oranges. And you are also contradicting yourself. So I’m lost.

First —

You just stated a little bit above that you agreed this would be around a 60 day hiatus. Not 18 days (19 Cup ended on June 12). 60 days from June 12 is August 10th or so.

second — it was 2013, not 2012, and it ended June 24th. Same as it did in the other strike season of 1995. Not June 30th.

Third - using an example from a year where the season started late due to the strike doesn’t hold any water. At all. They made the season as short as possible to allow for the regular playoffs to happen. It was all pre-planned. This is totally different.

lastly — unless the season picks up again in about 4 weeks (which you’ve already agreed won’t happen), your previous “it ended June 30th (which wasn’t accurate) example hold zero water.

you are grasping at straws here

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
So much wrong with this post. Dude you aren’t comparing apples to oranges. And you are also contradicting yourself. So I’m lost.

First —

You just stated a little bit above that you agreed this would be around a 60 day hiatus. Not 18 days (19 Cup ended on June 12). 60 days from June 12 is August 10th or so.

second — it was 2013, not 2012, and it ended June 24th. Same as it did in the other strike season of 1995. Not June 30th.

Third - using an example from a year where the season started late due to the strike doesn’t hold any water. At all. They made the season as short as possible to allow for the regular playoffs to happen. It was all pre-planned. This is totally different.

lastly — unless the season picks up again in about 4 weeks (which you’ve already agreed won’t happen), your previous “it ended June 30th (which wasn’t accurate) example hold zero water.

you are grasping at straws here

He said it was scheduled to end June 30th. As in, the latest possible date in the strike shortened season.

It ended sooner due to series not going their full length.

Reactions: kicksavedave

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Boo boo on the bad ice argument. Players in the 80’s and earlier played on crap ice all the time and produced just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad