Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene II

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
I'm amazed at all the talk that sounds like Lujo is desirable to other teams. And at the same time, seeing all the bashing of him over the last few months to a year.

In all reality, I don't think other teams would look at him as nothing more than a throw in that might help their AHL team. His injuries and play have hurt his prospect status.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
For that asking price for Kreider they can keep him. If we can get him for reasonable package sure, but that is way too much. The current gang needs to sack up, play hockey and focus. This league over inflates stuff so much. Sure is he a good player, but for that price? That is some serious Shroom consumption. I trust GMBM though.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Really thinking Saad should be the #1 forward target. If he’s actually available then he’s likely the best forward on the market. He’s a beast 5v5, plays the right way, knows how to win, and could slot anywhere in the top 9. You’d also think the price wouldn’t be as high as Kreider. Only problem is the high cap hit, which could be managed by Chicago retaining and/or them being interested in Jensen or Panik as part of the return.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Earlier, Brian Burke said that he’s heard from a GM that the price for Kreider is:

1st
High-end/solid prospect
Mid-prospect/mid-pick
Conditional pick on Kreider resigning.

Backs up Bob’s reporting.

With 50% retained I'd consider this as the conditional pick would never come to be.

I'd jump all over 1st + Alexeyev + for Rakell.

This is an overpayment. I know he has two years left but he isn't that good and he is injury prone. Also, why is he even being moved?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are you finally off your “Hagelin can’t ever be moved off the 3rd line” stance?

Cant? Wont is more like it. I would love Kreider on the team. The Caps would just vaporize playoff opponents. Its just not likely and Panik would be the guy moved off the 3rd line anyway.

But a 1st and a top prospect for a guy on the 3rd line seems too pricey.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Starting to feel like the Shattenkirk deadline. Washington wasn’t rumored until late and even then it seemed like they were behind the other big players in the sweepstakes.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Every time when I see NYR and other team in the main trade board my heart stops as I'm thinking they traded Kreider to them. At this point, I want him being traded either to us or west or stay. Although I was complaining lately about our bottom 6 offense struggles, I really like Hathaway and Leipsik and think they need to stay. They are ideal 4th liners. Not sure if it's good for long term to get rid of Panik or Hagelin in favor of Kreider. So not sure where he fits here, but I'm crazy afraid that any of our east opponents get him or anyone who is good.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Kreider ends up in Boston. They are going to try and up Tampa and middle six winger is their biggest area of need. They also may lose Chara and Krug after this year so they'll likely want to take another swing for Big Z.

That said, 2RW, not 2LW, seems to be their biggest need. Can DeBrusk play on his off wing? DeBrusk is a SC-caliber 2LW but their right side behind Pasta is shit: Karson Kuhlman, Danton Heinen, Chris Wagner. Gross.

Reactions: Heath

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
1) his defense is questionable due to skating (and experience ofc)
2) you can find better 4C on UFA market EASILY
3) he isnt looking like a better player than 19, 92, 20 and CMM, right?

Where will he play? We are penciling CMM to 3LW already, Eller wants to retire as Capital, Backstrom will retire as Capital... trading Kuzy to make space for Protas is a bit questionable.

Protas is one dude that can be traded.

Respect the opinion but disagree with the power of two suns. My gut not just feeling this seasons yet is probably why.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Rakell is the most appealing piece mentioned on the last pages. Can play both C and W positions. Skilled, can pass, can shoot, can dangle if in a mood and can defend. 1st+AA+Jensen. Easily would pull the trigger.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I feel like Kovalchuk would spark him, and possibly spark Ovechkin a bit as well. Sort of like Feds did in 2008. I know North Americans don't hold Kovalchuk in high regard but he's as revered among Russian players as Fedorov or Datsyuk were being first post Soviet superstar and vanguard of the Ovechkin/Malkin generation

He's also the one guy unambiguously playing for the love of the game right now
I wouldn't be against it at all

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
They don’t need Kreider. Most they should be gunning for is a #7F-style winger that can push Hagelin or Panik to the 4th line (lending chemistry and hot streaks) and provide some injury insurance. Someone to fill the Burakovsky/Connolly/Johansson role basically.
I think if you target a 2C like JGP it actually creates internal possibilities by letting you slit Oshie into that 3rd line winger role and moving Kuzy back to wing

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
MacLellan. “Braden? Yeah,” a surprised MacLellan said. “I think our story has been the same the whole year. He’s our guy and we’re going to try and compete for a (Stanley) Cup. We want him playing the top of his game at the end of the year.”

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We won a cup with Kuzy as 1c. Any cup we want to win has Kuzy playing extremely well at C. Kuzy to wing is a non starter imo.

That's true. I wonder if the difference between on his game Kuzy and average Kuzy can be made up by the quality of play of Eller?

The difference between good Kuzy and average Kuzy be, say, 3 points of WAR and is it possible that Eller could replace that 3 points of WAR with a career playoffs? Just asking

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I honestly think what GMBM is saying, is that no one should be gifted anything going forward. Defense or forward.

so get the best forward you can, and play the players in spots they earn. If someone like Pageau is able to join this team and deserves to be one of the top 3 C’s, then he does. The Cup was now almost 2 seasons ago. It’s becoming ancient history for this years team.

So if Kuz’s play means he’s a top 3C, then he is. But if he’s not, then he’s not. It’s not complicated.

just as an example:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kuznetsov
Vrana - Eller - Oshie/Wilson
Panik/Hagelin - Pageau - Oshie/Wilson
Panik/Hagelin - Dowd - Hathaway

the possibilities are endless. I’m not advocating any particular lineup. Just saying we shouldn’t discount them either

Reactions: Heath and Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
While we won the cup with a good kuzy at 1C, we also have not seen that good kuzy. So I'm not sure you can put him there just because that's where he was two years ago. If putting him at wing wakes him up, or gives him more opportunity to be offensive then I'm game. I'm with Ridley, I don't care where they played two years ago, I want the best lineup we can have come April.

Reactions: um

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

giphy.gif

Reactions: IafrateOvie34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad