Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
@Langway If you were BMac, would you have the cojones to move a 1st+Protas for Kreider, even as a rental? Seeing what we’ve seen from Protas and his skill-set/development this year, I’m weary of it, but, I’m not sure how else they’re discussing such a trade for Kreider, unless NY is fine with a couple high draft picks and a good, not great, prospect?

In a nutshell, would you make that move, if it was the only one NYR would take and cap-compliant?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I meant including this summer. I think one will. In listening to how much GMBM likes Dillon, I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him resigned before the FA period begins.

I am not seeing anyone's fate sealed right now. Each situation could move different ways. If Kempny is damaged goods and cant keep up, he might be out for sure. With Fehervary and Siegenthaler they have two players for two spots without keeping Dillon. If Dillon proves himself to be a Caps player, MacLellan will keep him, but that surely needs to be proven. Same with Jensen. I see no path for Gudas to stay at this point. Holtby….yea, that situation could go too many directions. I am not even going to try.

Do you honestly think that Holtby be could be a playoff hero, be willing to sign for what MacLellan could make work and choose to keep Dillon instead? That's hard for me to see.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Is there any way to extend Kreider? Would be ok with giving up the picks and players needed to get him but not for 20 odd games.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
One more year at $6 mil....maybe if Chicago can retain 50% next year.....like Toffoli....wouldn’t mind Saad either.
Saad is really good at even strength. Him and Eller would be a nice 3rd line duo. Or he could fit anywhere in the top 6. Wouldn’t be as flashy of a pickup as Kreider but Saad is arguably more effective and likely won’t cost as much.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Honestly, I would rather get Jeff Carter than Kovalchuk, he can play both wing and center and has won multiple championships. But I remember hearing that he'd retire if he were to be traded.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@Langway If you were BMac, would you have the cojones to move a 1st+Protas for Kreider, even as a rental? Seeing what we’ve seen from Protas and his skill-set/development this year, I’m weary of it, but, I’m not sure how else they’re discussing such a trade for Kreider, unless NY is fine with a couple high draft picks and a good, not great, prospect?

In a nutshell, would you make that move, if it was the only one NYR would take and cap-compliant?
I wouldn't. Presumably that also means Jensen goes in some fashion, perhaps in a separate deal, which I guess is fine but D depth then become something of a wash. I guess they could just rely on CMM being a top nine player for them and that being it but that kind of sucks for the pipeline. They could maybe find cheap players through other means but for that sort of package, which is arguably better than what PIT gave up for Zucker, I'd want some manageable term remaining to get more than one run out of it. That still wouldn't be all-in per se but it would put a massive load on this season's outcome when certainly right now it's an out of sorts group. I could get behind something bold but I don't really like huge rental deals. I'd sooner target Pageau at a more reasonable price than ante up for the top rental. Boston still seems best positioned to make that move.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

No. For a guy on the 3rd line? No

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I wouldn't. Presumably that also means Jensen goes in some fashion, perhaps in a separate deal, which I guess is fine but D depth then become something of a wash. I guess they could just rely on CMM being a top nine player for them and that being it but that kind of sucks for the pipeline. They could maybe find cheap players through other means but for that sort of package, which is arguably better than what PIT gave up for Zucker, I'd want some manageable term remaining to get more than one run out of it. That still wouldn't be all-in per se but it would put a massive load on this season's outcome when certainly right now it's an out of sorts group. I could get behind something bold but I don't really like huge rental deals. I'd sooner target Pageau at a more reasonable price than ante up for the top rental. Boston still seems best positioned to make that move.
JGP just seems like a better fit, IMO. He could play anywhere in our top-nine and would require less assets to get - less retention and salary needing to be moved out, as well.

What would your best offer for Kreider be?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Johansen+1st is really the most I'd be willing to even entertain for Kreider, then again I'm not really that big of a fan of his game.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
JGP just seems like a better fit, IMO. He could play anywhere in our top-nine and would require less assets to get - less retention and salary needing to be moved out, as well.

What would your best offer for Kreider be?
JGP is a guy I like for versatility for sure. I'm just a bit concerned at how he would stand up to the physicality of playoff hockey. Seems like he contributed well during that 2017 run, so who knows.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
JGP is a guy I like for versatility for sure. I'm just a bit concerned at how he would stand up to the physicality of playoff hockey. Seems like he contributed well during that 2017 run, so who knows.
If they could grab him without giving up a first, I think it’d be a great addition.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Earlier, Brian Burke said that he’s heard from a GM that the price for Kreider is:

1st
High-end/solid prospect
Mid-prospect/mid-pick
Conditional pick on Kreider resigning.

Backs up Bob’s reporting.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Honestly I think we need to make moves on trying to get something for Johansen. I just see him sliding further and further down our internal depth chart and I don't see him every climbing over Fehervary or Alexeyev. His value as trade bait prospect exceeds his actual on ice potential at this point.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I know I'm a broken record, but I really would much prefer if we're going all in doing it on someone like Trochek who provides way more flexibility as a player. He is a true center so we could slot him in the second line and let Kuzy play wing again. He can play wing if we want. His style really allows him to play on multiple lines. His game is absolutely low key filth.

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Trochek-Kuz
Hagelin-Eller-Oshie
Leipsic-Dowd-Hathaway

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I know I'm a broken record, but I really would much prefer if we're going all in doing it on someone like Trochek who provides way more flexibility as a player. He is a true center so we could slot him in the second line and let Kuzy play wing again. He can play wing if we want. His style really allows him to play on multiple lines. His game is absolutely low key filth.

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Trochek-Kuz
Hagelin-Eller-Oshie
Leipsic-Dowd-Hathaway
He hasn’t been the same since his brutal injury. He was untouchable before and now isn’t, because he isn’t the same after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad