Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
This quote says it all

Friedman continues, speaking about the candor of Washington’s GM. “Brian MacLellan — he’s got big brass ones,” Friedman says. “He’s not afraid. And when he comes out the other day and says, “I don’t like the way our team’s playing right now.” He’s not just saying that for the hell of it. He’s saying that because he means it.”

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Orlov-Green seems, uh, non-good. Dillon-Green maybe but I don't tend to associate Green with 'hard around the net.' Strange idea aside from getting Jensen off the books and who knows if Yzerman is a fan. Green probably doesn't make it through four playoff games anyway.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
So we trade Jensen back to the Redwings for Mike Green and then trade for Kovalchuk

That would be the most fail on deadline day since Erat

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
You know, the Real McJesus and either Alexeyev OR Fever are the only two prospects I'd not deal, now that I think about it, but I wouldn't budge on them. I'd want someone with term back for a Fever/Alexeyev trade.

Interesting that kempny got 'demoted' - I kinda feel like Fever's a ready-made replacement for him, growing pains aside. I wonder if the Caps would move him/let him walk for more $$$ space?

Just some random musings.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Wait what?

Can we convince Laich to come out of retirement?!?! All joking aside, as much as I would love Green to come back and win a cup here.. the team isnt going anywhere without more consistent scoring from the forward group. The cap space and trade chips need to be saved for a forward that can put the puck in the net.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Just say no to Droopy
s-l300.jpg

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I get the huge jump from Jrs to the NHL, but is there any context where we bring up McMichael at the end of the season to try him as a 4th line winger?

Our 4th line has been really good, so it's not that, just wondering if they'd give it a shot to see if he could chip in some offense in limited minutes.

Seems like a Longshot, but...

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I get the huge jump from Jrs to the NHL, but is there any context where we bring up McMichael at the end of the season to try him as a 4th line winger?

Our 4th line has been really good, so it's not that, just wondering if they'd give it a shot to see if he could chip in some offense in limited minutes.

Nope. He’s top 9 next year though

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Was wondering if there was a forward who would be coming with Green to make it a larger deal but that probably wouldn’t work even with Green at 50% retention and Jensen going the other way

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Was wondering if there was a forward who would be coming with Green to make it a larger deal but that probably wouldn’t work even with Green at 50% retention and Jensen going the other way

Yeah a Green for Jensen deal is strictly a cap dump just to get out of Jensen's contract with Green expiring this summer. Would say a lot about what GMBM thinks of Jensen if that is the case, since for this year's playoffs they would just be better off holding on to Jensen.

You would have to think GMBM is talking about two corresponding deals or something. But even still, Mike Green at 50% is still a $2,687,500 cap hit...

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah a Green for Jensen deal is strictly a cap dump just to get out of Jensen's contract. Would say a lot about what GMBM thinks of Jensen if that is the case, since for this year's playoffs they would just be better off holding on to Jensen.

You would have to think GMBM is talking about two corresponding deals or something. But even still, Mike Green at 50% is still a $2,687,500 cap hit...
Plus Detroit’s forwards that they’d be willing to part with are either really bad or would cost some decent assets

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

If we got into what forward I would want on the Wings and it’s Larkin. Don’t think that’s possible with the salary cap

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I guess we could still trade for another forward, but a straight Nick Jensen for 50% Mike Green is only a $62,500 cap saving. So pretty much the same boat.

That would leave our Trade Deadline Day cap space at $1,140,379. Would have to be a $2 million cap hit type player with 50% retained as well‬

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Nope. He’s top 9 next year though

I'm assuming it's not happening this year...

That being said, I think it may be worth calling him up for 5-6 games on the off chance that we can catch lightening in a bottle. I think it's unlikely that he could make the jump quick enough to help, but... it's low risk, and potentially high reward...

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I guess we could still trade for another forward, but a straight Nick Jensen for 50% Mike Green is only a $62,500 cap saving. So pretty much the same boat.

That would leave our Trade Deadline Day cap space at $1,140,379. Would have to be a $2 million cap hit type player with 50% retained as well‬

I'm not gung ho about Greeny, but... I'm also not excited about Jenson, who I'd really like to move on from. Depends on what we have to add to Jenson to make this happen.

While not realistic, if Detroit offers Green @ 50% for Jenson, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I really just don't know if Jenson has any trade value (or even negative trade value)?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I'm not gung ho about Greeny, but... I'm also not excited about Jenson, who I'd really like to move on from. Depends on what we have to add to Jenson to make this happen.

While not realistic, if Detroit offers Green @ 50% for Jenson, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I really just don't know if Jenson has any trade value (or even negative trade value)?

Theoretically, if you are not happy with Jensen and his contract (that you gave him just this past offeseason lol), this is a great move to do it by getting an expiring and old fan favorite.

It just goes against the idea of going all in and shoring up the defense for this year's playoffs though. But then again, stranger things have happened before.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Green? Im all for dumping Jensen but cant see adequate pairs other than Orlov-Gudas and somebody with Green then.

Also, that makes another trade for D unreal. Kempny for a guy who will play then 3LD?

I think just keeping Jensen is better.

Thats a screen of fog, Bmac is trying to get Petry instead :)

Although if Green is bad there are still Orlov-Kempny/Fever/Djoos options.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kuznetsov

Ovechkin Backstrom Wilson
Vrana Kuzy Oshie.

Each of those lines have a passer, a finisher and a retriever. If Kuzy is the retriever, the Caps dont get dumped pucks back or Ov's shots that dont go in. If Ov is the F1 physical player then who is the finisher?

Or are you thinking they can carry it in all the time in the playoffs?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
or.....he says “nope, wasn’t wrong, just never wanted him”.....
My point wasn’t that GMBM wanted Kovy, my point is that simply because he passed on him in Dec doesn’t mean he will pass in him again in end of Feb.

“He passed on him once so he will pass on him again”. That’s bunk as a baseline, is all. As everyone passed on him once. But he’s looking like he will he traded so someone is going to change their opinion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad