Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Dylan Demelo really strikes me as a good potential add at RD, assuming neither Jensen nor Gudas take a hold of the 2RD spot. I have no idea what Demelo's acquisition cost might be but he only sports a $900k cap hit so that shouldn't be an issue. He's playing 20 minutes a night in Ottawa getting decent QoC and still maintains a 58% xGF playing mainly beside Mark Borowiecki.

He also lacks the traditional counting stats that make a defender expensive, like Shattenkirk was.

But man does he drive the play at 5v5:

View attachment 308441

Wasnt Jensen driving the play for DRW?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Wasnt Jensen driving the play for DRW?

He did drive the play in DET and so far Jensen hasn't been a fit in DC unfortunately. Not sure if it's just a vastly different style that has caused him not to be as effective in DC.

If there are reservations about Demelo as a player and how he might not fit in Washington I'm open to hearing them, but his numbers are very good and he's at least on my radar.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Quick glance at Cap Friendly at UFA Wingers:

Illya Kovalchuk :naughty:

Obviously a lot of these guys would need retention to fit them under the cap.

So I looked up Kovalchuk's stats since he signed with Montreal:

6 Games played
1 Goal
4 Assists
5 Points
Averaging 20:13 TOI a game
14 SOG
+/- +2

Not bad for a 700K old man

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So I looked up Kovalchuk's stats since he signed with Montreal:

6 Games played
1 Goal
4 Assists
5 Points
Averaging 20:13 TOI a game
14 SOG
+/- +2

Not bad for a 700K old man

Yeah well he took a 20 plus game break and has a ton of energy. :dunno:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He did drive the play in DET and so far Jensen hasn't been a fit in DC unfortunately. Not sure if it's just a vastly different style that has caused him not to be as effective in DC.

Just guessing. The Wings stink. There is no pressure. The Capitals expect to win and they gave him a big chunk of the load to carry. First time in his NHL career where there were expectations. MacLellan was trying to steal a top 4 d again. He was not considered to be that so far

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just guessing. The Wings stink. There is no pressure. The Capitals expect to win and they gave him a big chunk of the load to carry. First time in his NHL career where there were expectations. MacLellan was trying to steal a top 4 d again. He was not considered to be that so far

I agree that's a possibility.

Kempny also played for a lousy Blackhawks team but he was able to make the transition to a contender and handle the pressure. Kempny has underperformed this season but his prior two seasons in DC have been very good.

Unless there are some stylistic issues or something else to suggest Demelo couldn't handle the pressure in DC as a top 4 defender I'd still be interested in adding him if the price is right and assuming neither Jensen nor Gudas assert themselves in the 2RD role before the TDL.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Dylan Demelo really strikes me as a good potential add at RD, assuming neither Jensen nor Gudas take a hold of the 2RD spot. I have no idea what Demelo's acquisition cost might be but he only sports a $900k cap hit so that shouldn't be an issue. He's playing 20 minutes a night in Ottawa getting decent QoC and still maintains a 58% xGF playing mainly beside Mark Borowiecki.

He also lacks the traditional counting stats that make a defender expensive, like Shattenkirk was.

But man does he drive the play at 5v5:

View attachment 308441

Replace Demelo with Jensen and I'd swear I've seen this before, graphs and all :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nothing against Demelo per say but didn't we learn anything about judging a player by a pretty picture? Least we forget the graph that clearly shows that Nick Jensen is the best passer of the puck in the whole damn league....

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Replace Demelo with Jensen and I'd swear I've seen this before, graphs and all :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nothing against Demelo per say but didn't we learn anything about judging a player by a pretty picture? Least we forget the graph that clearly shows that Nick Jensen is the best passer of the puck in the whole damn league....

Absolutely we have done the same thing with Jensen, Demelo, Kempny, Orlov, Schmidt, Siegenthaler, Alzner, Niskanen, Djoos, and others.

In general I think considering analytical arguments can do a good job identifying players who are potentially valuable or potentially players to avoid or let walk. It's never going to be perfect but like I said it at least puts players on the radar and players the pro scouts should take a look at.

If you can break down Demelo's game and give me some more qualitative insights I'd love to hear them. I sure as hell don't watch Ottawa regularly.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The tough part of any depth D that might perhaps challenge to play alongside Orlov is who sits? Might they sit Jensen and bump up Carlson's PKTOI? (An an aside, I also find it interesting that Gudas PK's more than Jensen.)

Reactions: Silky mitts

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Absolutely we have done the same thing with Jensen, Demelo, Kempny, Orlov, Schmidt, Siegenthaler, Alzner, Niskanen, Djoos, and others.

A statistical argument isn't perfect but like I said it at least puts him on the radar as someone I'm going to pay attention to going forward and IMO someone the pro scouts should take a look at. If you can break down Demelo's game and give me some more qualitative insight I'd love to hear it.

I don't know jack s**t about Demelo's game. I know that Ottawa doesn't play hockey in any way even remotely related to how Capitals play hockey. If somebody can present me with a good case as to why Demelo's game would translate well to playing second pair for this team, I'm all ears.

I think there are reason's to trade for Demelo beyond hockey ability. Ottawa is one of the few teams that will see value in Jensen's contract and I'd like to see that contract removed from the Caps. It's poor use of cap space and I don't want Jensen hanging around for another 3+ years. I'm also interested in acquiring Namestnikov from Ottawa who I think would be a great fit for us as a 3rd liner and potential injury fill in for the top-6.

As for statistical argument not been perfect, we are a little past that. I can make a statistical argument on how Caps are been carried to greatness by Leipsic and Panik, how we are lucky that Ovechkin's contract is close to expiry so we don't have to waste cap space on that bum anymore and if we could dump Kuznetsov for a 5th rounder, we'd be ass deep in Stanley Cups. It's all just nonsense.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As for statistical argument not been perfect, we are a little past that. I can make a statistical argument on how Caps are been carried to greatness by Leipsic and Panik, how we are lucky that Ovechkin's contract is close to expiry so we don't have to waste cap space on that bum anymore and if we could dump Kuznetsov for a 5th rounder, we'd be ass deep in Stanley Cups. It's all just nonsense.

upload_2020-1-16_16-38-37.png

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree that's a possibility.

Kempny also played for a lousy Blackhawks team but he was able to make the transition to a contender and handle the pressure. Kempny has underperformed this season but his prior two seasons in DC have been very good.

Unless there are some stylistic issues or something else to suggest Demelo couldn't handle the pressure in DC as a top 4 defender I'd still be interested in adding him if the price is right and assuming neither Jensen nor Gudas assert themselves in the 2RD role before the TDL.

Reirden has a game plan for use of defensemen that is different. It only requires 3 top 4 defensemen. My guess is that they are committed to Jensen and all whining and moaning here wont change that. Its a salary cap thing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The tough part of any depth D that might perhaps challenge to play alongside Orlov is who sits? Might they sit Jensen and bump up Carlson's PKTOI? (An an aside, I also find it interesting that Gudas PK's more than Jensen.)

Gudas plays with Seigenthaler who plays the most pk. Not surprised really that Gudas plays more. My expectation is that come playoffs the pk pairs will be 34-33 and 74-3

Jun 15, 2007
Reirden has a game plan for use of defensemen that is different. It only requires 3 top 4 defensemen.

How did you come to this conclusion instead of the other more probable conclusion, which is that Reirden is making do with what he has?

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I think it would be to replace Jensen. Not add someone to sit. At least not someone like Demelo.

Would allow needed cap space to add another top 9 forward

Kuz

May 11, 2015
What do you think guys like Sigenthaler, Boyd and Leipsic will get?

Leipsic work really well on that 4th line, but caps have a lot of guys pushing for a spot so he probably won't get a to big of a raise. Siegenthaler has been solid on the PK and I can see a Djoos like around 1-1,5. I hope Fehervary gets Gudas place. I would like Boyd over Hagelin on the LW as he would be cheaper and gives the third line more scoring and they have been solid in their own zone also with Boyd.

That also gives CMM a better chance to play 3LW as it's easier to bench Boyd for around 1 mill and he should get a look. Around 3,5-4 for all three would be good and if CMM are not ready Hagelin is replaced by Boyd and Malenstyn or someone else is the 13th forward.

The last thing is trying to upgrade the 2nd RD from Jensen. With the salary of Jensen, Hagelin and Holtby out and Samsonov backed up by either Vanecek or Copley, the three players mentioned signed and Fehervary and CMM promoted gives the Caps a salary of around 72-72,5 millions with a cap estimated to be around 83-84 millions, Capitals might add a really good player. Pietrangelo would be the dream signing, but unlikely so they probably need to trade for a RD.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Leipsic has been a pleasant surprise this season, but ultimately he’s still a relatively replaceable 4th liner. 50/50 on whether or not he’s back. Will depend on if his salary demands put him behind the realm of what management considers appropriate for a guy who could end up being the 13th forward if CMM makes the team.

Jun 15, 2007
Operating on a 84m cap for next year.

Only re-signing Jonas for 3x1.5m and letting every single other UFA/RFA go and calling up Fehervary, Copley, McMichael and Malenstyn to replace them.

We have 7.8m in cap space on a 21 man, 13f, 6d,2g roster.

Exactly the amount Shea Weber makes.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it would be to replace Jensen. Not add someone to sit. At least not someone like Demelo.

Would allow needed cap space to add another top 9 forward

A legit top 4 defense first right defenseman is going to be expensive. Both in terms of assets price and salary cap hit. Otherwise another Kempny like attempt is what they would be doing. In that case I don't see them traded Jensen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad