Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 3: Hello 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
I've got that as $74.7M, $84M cap would mean $9.3M to spend on goalie and defenseman.
Forgot to change that.

But yes, depending on what the final cap number is we should have 9-11m for two roster slots. If you trade Siege and promote AA and MF, even more.

Reactions: Silky mitts

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Forgot to change that.

But yes, depending on what the final cap number is we should have 9-11m for two roster slots. If you trade Siege and promote AA and MF, even more.

I can see McMichael coming in and challenging for and probably getting a shot on the third line.

McMichael-Eller-Panik
Hageline-Dowd-Hathaway
Boyd/Leipsic

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
I think that the Capitals should give Kovalchuk a chance for the remainder of the season. Of course he would have to be put in a limited role, but I feel like he could do some damage with Washington's skilled offense. Throw him on PP2 and this team may have the best powerplay unit of all time. I think that the Caps would have nothing to lose if they sign him at league minimum. Only thing that is making me hesitate is the team is meshing really well right now and it would be hard to mess with that chemistry. I still think they should give it a shot, just put him in the pressbox if it doesnt work.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
As much as we could use an upgrade of Panik on the 3rd line and could use him in the Ovie spot on PP2.

We have no cap space, he’s slow, he doesn’t PK, he doesn’t hit.

I’ll pass, have fun in the KHL kovey

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
The fact that a rebuilding team in the midst of a write off season has done everything in its power to not have Kovalchuk in the lineup is too troubling.

Also, if you are not playing Kovalchuk on the left point on PP there is no reason to have him on the team. Caps have got that position covered for the foreseeable future. Beyond that, you'll get just as much offensive production by scratching Panik and inserting Boyd into the lineup.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
It is going to take a legit MASSIVE offer to get Pietrangelo interested if he decides to test the market which I believe he won't. And the Caps won't offer him such deal because that's not how they operate. The only time in recent memory when they went out of their way and spent a lot of money in July is when they signed Niskanen and Orpik and that was after one of the most disastrous seasons in post lockout era.

Jun 15, 2007
No.

1) We already have an ovie spot guy on pp2. It's the same guy we have on pp1.

2) We don't have cap space.

3) We don't lack goal scoring. We lack defense. Does Kovalchuk help with that?

So many reasons to say no.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
I like the idea or at least possibility of kovy taking his last stand in the NHL Ala Fedorov on the Caps.. Playing along side his buddies.

However at this time I feel the locker room is fine as is. There are a lot of veterans already.. It's not like he would force himself into the top6. You would have to gift him that spot and hope it pays out. This would go not well with the team moral. He has an outsider chance if Some1 goes down long term.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Leipsic is more effective than Kovy I guess.

For these Caps Kovy is absolutely redundant.

Now to the next season. I know one guy who can be available and play 2RD. If only PHY would retain on him :P

Huge amount of cap space will mean GMBM is trying to extend Holtby. Sign him, expose him to ED in a year. Asset management!

Caps get time until Sammy is more mature. Holtby gets money. Seattle gets good goalie on a contract with story similar to MAF. Caps get to keep all skaters. Makes sense, I tell you.

PS: Kempny goes to 2RD or smth like that. Either him or Gudas stays, Fever goes LD. Prepare for this.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Yes and he's going back to the KHL. Which for me is great news because we don't want him.
We have the best team in the league - why the hell mess with that chemistry by bringing in an unknown quantity?
Kovy is known. Just happens to be negative at this point of time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes and he's going back to the KHL. Which for me is great news because we don't want him.
We have the best team in the league - why the hell mess with that chemistry by bringing in an unknown quantity?

Nothing unknown about Kovulchuk. The Caps have no place for him to play anyway

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It's not a zero percent chance, but I highly doubt Gudas is back. And honestly why pay him 3.5 or whatever his bump will be when you can have Fehrevary or Alexeyev for a fraction of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad