Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 3: Hello 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
According to Igor Eronko, his contract will be terminated.

Interesting. Considering there is no cap savings and very small cash savings (they'd still have to pay a warm body) LA would be basically just saying "I hate you so much I am paying you to go away"

Reactions: Corby78

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Interesting. Considering there is no cap savings and very small cash savings (they'd still have to pay a warm body) LA would be basically just saying "I hate you so much I am paying you to go away"
They are just being a decent human beings and at least letting the man chase his dream elsewhere instead of just burying his career forever
If he has “lucrative” offers, the minimum doesn’t seem like a likely path.
He is a rich man, he can allow himself to play just for legacy.

Jun 15, 2007
They are just being a decent human beings and at least letting the man chase his dream elsewhere instead of just burying his career forever

I just read a tweet saying Kovalchuk will forfeit 4.7m in cash since its mutual termination.

LA still on the hook for 6.25m in cap hit this year and next, not that it matters for a rebuilding team.

I think Kovalchuk is Boston bound. They desperately need scoring depth.

Reactions: Silky mitts

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I think it all stems from Desjardins ruining the relationship last year and scratching Kovy and sticking him on the fourth line when he played. One would assume that Todd McLellan could have attempted to fix the situation, but, who knows? I imagine the relationship was soured with the team and Kovy last year and there was more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

By all accounts from reports, Kovy is still hungry and would rather win a cup than chase KHL money. As a buy-low candidate (at minimum or $1 million AAV max), personally, it'd make a lot of sense to me, rather than spending a premium on another offensive asset - if they choose to go that route - at the TDL. The positives - at least to me - far outweigh the risks. If Kovy dogs it and acts up, we can terminate his contract/bury it for the rest of the year, with no problem. If he shapes up and plays hard, he's a guy that still has an elite shot, great hands, and a high hockey IQ. I'm always willing to make room for players like that in my top-nine, but, I am also a strong proponent of high-skilled players.

@Langway would love your insight and take on this.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I just read a tweet saying Kovalchuk will forfeit 4.7m in cash since its mutual termination.

LA still on the hook for 6.25m in cap hit this year and next, not that it matters for a rebuilding team.

Boston is not for him. Aside from that top line, they are not a dynamic team. They are a blue collar type of team that tends to grind out wins. Caps suit him more. He excels in skill heavy system with a lot of passing, creativity and especially if he has a center who is driving the play. He's not that good anymore to just pick the puck up on the fly in his own zone and dangle the F out of everybody to score goals. Still has a good shot though and above average skating. I'd even say he skates really good for his age.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

You make a really good point about Boston.

I think he'd be a fit there and I could see them offering him a top-nine spot, but, IDK if that's a team he'd view as a fit for him because of playing style.

If he's chasing a ring over money (to also stay in the NHL), as reports have suggested, I imagine there would be quite a few contenders that would take a chance on him.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
There is no chance Seattle doesn't pick Samsonov if he is left exposed. There is no chance Holtby agrees to a long term deal without protection in the expansion draft. That right there ends the whole Holtby debate to me.

If he wants to risk signing a 1 year deal and the team can find $11m+ of cap space to make it worth his while, maybe that could work. Other than that, the writing is on the wall.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There is seriously anyone here that wants Kovulchuk?

Edit: Note. Kovulchuk even strength goals. 2. Panik even strength goals. 2

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
After this year I'd go with Sammie and VV/Copley, switch Gudas for Fever, resign Backstrom, then look at a 1 year upgrade over Jensen so it's clear for Alex Alex and Vrana's extension, and the guy that would be hilarious that's a free agent after next year is Niskanen.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Term is another factor, If he wants 7-8 years than no thank you.
Holtby can't sign more than 1 year with the Caps and I don't think he would be willing to do it. Samsonov is still looking like a strong candidate to be protected by the Caps in the expansion draft. I think Seattle would most definitely choose Holtby if he were left unprotected and even if he already had his new contract making $8 million per season.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
How can we get Kovalchuk for the minimum?

He's signed for one more year and LA has no reason to buy him out because it's a 35+ contract.
Rumor has it, in a couple days the Kings/Kovalchuk will mutually agree to terminate his contract, but his cap hit would still remain with the Kings. He would then basically become a free agent.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Zero interest in Kovalschmuck. Don't see the need, unless we fall on hard times. At the moment, we're one of the top teams in the league, and quite frankly, we haven't even been clicking on all cylinders. I think there's been what? 2 or 3 games where the Caps have played to their potential and dominated. If they were more motivated against the lower rung teams like BJs, Habs, etc., then our record would be even better. Bottom line, I don't see GMBM making any personnel changes anytime soon and justifiably so (unless there are injuries). Once the 3rd line nets a few more, then we can all focus on the glaring issue with this team:

The crappy music being played during home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad