Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 3: Hello 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
In response to the last thread. Sammy is not a bargain basement goalie. He was a 1st round pick and has been in the system a long time.
I think we are all worried about his workload. But I think Copley can handle the duties without a high end back up

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
I knew Panik was struggling , but 2 points is a yikes. I actually really love the way he plays the game with speed and physicality, but he is the definition of ice cold in terms of offensive production right now. I liked the signing and I still like it FYI.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
In response to the last thread. Sammy is not a bargain basement goalie. He was a 1st round pick and has been in the system a long time.
I think we are all worried about his workload. But I think Copley can handle the duties without a high end back up
I understand that but I don’t want to go into next season with Sammy and Copley. Def not a good look. I’d be OK with a serviceable veteran UFA paired with Sammy. I don’t want to end up like the Sharks.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I'm with you...I've always thought Sammy/Copley was the choice after this year. Not too worried honestly.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
With Holtby the 2 likeliest scenarios are he plays so well the Caps can't afford him or he doesn't play well and it's less painful to make the transition. They could probably afford giving him and Backstrom around $8M a piece next year at the risk of money getting tight the following year for Vrana's raise but Bobrovsky's deal is such a cautionary tale.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I just saw that Copley has a .896 sv% in 15 games at Hershey right now :eek:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It will more than likely be Vanecek/Samsonov next season, if they don't go the older backup route.

that seems highly unlikely unless VV gets some NHL games between now and then and shines.

Copley is older and has successful experience here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I just saw that Copley has a .896 sv% in 15 games at Hershey right now :eek:

im sure he’s not in it mentally....demotions sting. He should be in the NHL right now if not for the roster situation here.

Whatever route they go, it’s way too early to be making projections. Much of the future decision making will revolve around Sammy’s play the rest of the year (and discussions with 70 that will lead to him walking).

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Not sure Copley deserves to be in the NHL. He was ok last year but has been passed up by other goalies in the caps system twice and in the blues system once. So in the last four seasons he has failed to keep an NHL job three times.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure Copley deserves to be in the NHL. He was ok last year but has been passed up by other goalies in the caps system twice and in the blues system once. So in the last four seasons he has failed to keep an NHL job three times.

Come on he was just fine as a backup. He isn’t passed by VV until he actually plays well in some NHL games.

Jun 15, 2007
Holtby will be the same age as Bobrovsky was last year.

He has one less Vezina but infinitely more good playoff runs including a Conn Smythe runner up-tier Cup win.

Then factor in a cap increase.

Not saying Holtby will make more than Bob on his next deal but he could if he held out for the best offer. More likely he takes slightly less (9m) to go to Edmonton or something.

Maybe even San Jose if they can get out of the Jones contract.

Those two teams desperately need proven goaltending.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Another thing about Holtby is the guy has been amazingly durable, especially the last few years. We never were in a position where we had to rely on the backup goalie because of injuries. Just that one period of benching for bad play.

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Come on he was just fine as a backup. He isn’t passed by VV until he actually plays well in some NHL games.
I’m not counting VV as already passing him. My point still stands. He is not as a solid option next year as a solid vet. Now depending on salary he may be the best option to keep the roster stocked, but if I had a choice I would want the vet.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Holtby will be the same age as Bobrovsky was last year.

He has one less Vezina but infinitely more good playoff runs including a Conn Smythe runner up-tier Cup win.

Then factor in a cap increase.

Not saying Holtby will make more than Bob on his next deal but he could if he held out for the best offer. More likely he takes slightly less (9m) to go to Edmonton or something.

Maybe even San Jose if they can get out of the Jones contract.

Those two teams desperately need proven goaltending.

desperate people make desperate moves.....he’ll have some dummies willing to overpay for sure. Assuming he continues to play at his current level.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not counting VV as already passing him. My point still stands. He is not as a solid option next year as a solid vet. Now depending on salary he may be the best option to keep the roster stocked, but if I had a choice I would want the vet.

Good to know. I checked back 2 days in this thread and didn’t see you declare that a “solid vet” is a better option than Copley anywhere before this post. If I missed it, sorry.

I would agree, if you can get them to sign there will likely be better (than Copley) and also more expensive options for backups in the “nhl vets” category....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

What is your definition of "handle the duties"?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
desperate people make desperate moves.....he’ll have some dummies willing to overpay for sure. Assuming he continues to play at his current level.

Yea. True. Would you want to lock yourself in for the rest of your time in the league playing for a team run by a dummie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->