Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 3: Hello 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
As much as we need a better 3rd line and a upgrade from Panik I would pass on Kovy. I think he is washed up and may have an attitude problem

Don’t know much about Kovy but I’d like to give Boyd another shot on that third line.

While I do like Hagelins two way play and PKing ability, he’s clearly a 4th liner (and a great one like Beagle was). And Panik... well I’m still waiting. That line needs offence.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
When that top-6 cools off everyone here will be looking at that bottom 6 and desperately trying to find anyone capable of creating scoring chances. Seconds later you will realize that it's Panik and Hagelin leading the charge there and play it off like "Oh, they so good defensively, it's all top guys' fault that we stopped scoring". It'll be especially ironic if that happens in the playoffs.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
When that top-6 cools off everyone here will be looking at that bottom 6 and desperately trying to find anyone capable of creating scoring chances. Seconds later you will realize that it's Panik and Hagelin leading the charge there and play it off like "Oh, they so good defensively, it's all top guys' fault that we stopped scoring". It'll be especially ironic if that happens in the playoffs.

In reality, it's mid-December. 30+ games in, both players you mentioned have been out with injuries. I think your crystal ball has morphed into a panik button.

With this kind of shot, I'm not too worried.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
In reality, it's mid-December. 30+ games in, both players you mentioned have been out with injuries. I think your crystal ball has morphed into a panik button.

With this kind of shot, I'm not too worried.

Great shot. Good times. But here's the thing: if you take a shot every time those guys score a goal this season, those shots better be full sized bottles otherwise you aint getting wasted anytime soon.

Reactions: Kuznetsnow

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Great shot. Good times. But here's the thing: if you take a shot every time those guys score a goal this season, those shots better be full sized bottles otherwise you aint getting wasted anytime soon.

I'll worry about Panik when he has 40 games under his belt and the Caps are half-way through the season. But by all means, continue to complain about the Caps being in 1st place 33 games into the season while still sporting a Trotz avatar. Makes total sense.

Caps have 3 lines with really good chemistry. Let me know how many teams in the league can claim that. The only deficiency I see so far is the PP and the Caps are still top 5 in the league and also top 5 in PK.

Sucks to be us!!!

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Usually top guys cancel each other out in the playoffs so it comes down to the bottom six. Panik and Hagelin will need to find some offensive swagger by the playoffs or the Caps could face some challenges.

Last edited:

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I'll worry about Panik when he has 40 games under his belt and the Caps are half-way through the season. But by all means, continue to complain about the Caps being in 1st place 33 games into the season while still sporting a Trotz avatar. Makes total sense.

Caps have 3 lines with really good chemistry. Let me know how many teams in the league can claim that. The only deficiency I see so far is the PP and the Caps are still top 5 in the league and also top 5 in PK.

Sucks to be us!!!
While I agree with you materially, trying to shame someone for discussing or debating something seems silly. We are on discussion boards concerning the team, hence folks like to find a subject to discuss. Sure, we should all be thankful the team is where it is but every team also has an Achilles heel. Why not talk about it to pass the time?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Sucks to be us!!!
Literally not true that I ever complained about them being in 1st place but cool attempt at taking a shot, thanks. Regarding Trotz - Trotz has no business being in this discussion whatsoever lol. If anything, his 3rd line was consistently one of the best in the league for two seasons straight while he was in DC and producing like some of the teams' 2nd lines. But if you're interested - I like his face expression on this one. Don't you?

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Just remembered why I blacklisted this guy. Thanks for the reminder, homie.

source.gif

Sweet. More motivation to start GDTs.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Is it just me or has Eller really looked like a beast lately? Frankly I think he really likes playing with Hagelin and Panik.

I just saw the highlight of that 3rd line goal. That was a really nice lateral tic tac toe. Maybe they just needed time to gel. The 3rd line had the least amount of time playing together.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Is it just me or has Eller really looked like a beast lately? Frankly I think he really likes playing with Hagelin and Panik.
Eller could be a legend if hockey was an individual sport discipline

All the lines he played with the last 10 years were **** made of top 6 talent forwards

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
All the lines he played with the last 10 years were **** made of top 6 talent forwards

His lines with the Caps have been shit? Those critical games filling in on the 2nd line when Backstrom was out were shit? All those Connolly ev strenth goals with Eller were shit? The cup winning goal...shit? Thats some shit

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The balance through the lineup is unique. And the way that guys know their roles and play the way that makes the most sense for the team - but within the context of a team that plays with pace and wants to attack - instead of their individual idea of what makes sense. We really haven’t seen it before. Dale and Trotz got guys to buy into playing as a 5 man unit, but at the expense of suppressing their attack and aggressiveness. Todd seems to have found a way to combine what Bruce did with what Trotz did, and it’s obviously lethal.

Also the drop-off from 1C to all other centers was really conspicuous in 2010. Having Kuzy and Eller (and having both play well) is just huge. Eller is the epitome of the Swiss Army knife (or Danish equivalent) 3C. The fact that this team could thrive - and that Osh and Vrana could play so well - while Nick was out and Eller was playing 2C - was huge. Now Eller’s job - apart from all the standard 3C grunt week - is to get some offense out of Panik and Hags, and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see him get that done too

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I have this sneaky suspicion that LuJo - second in line, Hobbs - is the prospect they will move at the TDL, whether in a trade for a top-six prospect or solid piece. Both are RFAs at year's end.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have this sneaky suspicion that LuJo - second in line, Hobbs - is the prospect they will move at the TDL, whether in a trade for a top-six prospect or solid piece. Both are RFAs at year's end.
Hobbs has next to zero value. He is being healthy scratched for guys playing their off side. He was a boom or bust prospect that unfortunately is leaning toward bust status

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Hobbs has next to zero value. He is being healthy scratched for guys playing their off side. He was a boom or bust prospect that unfortunately is leaning toward bust status
I do see them moving him - Hobbs - for a similar, struggling prospect, though.

LuJo I think has value still - just not as much as many seem to think.

Jun 15, 2007
So..looking ahead to next season.

Assuming we don't re-sign Holtby we actually have a ton of cap space. And I mean a ton. Cap is projected to be 85m.

I let Gudas and Holtby go, re-signed Backstrom for 8.5m, Boyd and Leipsic for 1m, Siege for 1.5m, called up Fever to be 4LD/3RD

That gives us 20 players signed for 74.8m. So we would have... 10.2m to spend on a goalie and a defenseman.

If we skimp on the backup goalie (i.e. Copley)...

That actually opens the door to Pietrangelo. Can you imagine this team with Petro instead of Gudas?

That's fantasy though. Realistically that 10m is probably spread out on an average RD, another third liner winger and a decent backup.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Hagelin-Eller-Panik
Leipsic-Dowd-Hathaway
Boyd

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Pietrangelo
Fehervary-Jensen
AA

Samsonov
Copley

Last edited:
Reactions: searle and um

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
So..looking ahead to next season.

Assuming we don't re-sign Holtby we actually have a ton of cap space. And I mean a ton. Cap is projected to be 85m.

I let Gudas and Holtby go, re-signed Backstrom for 8.5m, Boyd and Leipsic for 1m, Siege for 1.5m, called up Fever to be 4LD/3RD

That gives us 20 players signed for 66.2m. So we would have... 10.2m to spend on a goalie and a defenseman.

If we skimp on the backup goalie (i.e. Copley)...

That actually opens the door to Pietrangelo. Can you imagine this team with Petro instead of Gudas?

That's fantasy though. Realistically that 10m is probably spread out on an average RD, another third liner winger and a decent backup.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Hagelin-Eller-Panik
Leipsic-Dowd-Hathaway
Boyd

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Pietrangelo
Fehervary-Jensen
AA

Samsonov
Copley
I've got that as $74.7M, $84M cap would mean $9.3M to spend on goalie and defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad