Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ever seen? Thats more than a little over the top. He gets out muscled. Yes. But ever? That's funny
Yes ever. I can't think of one NHL defence man that was weaker. It is not over the top. Try to name one.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Djoos out-muscled David Perron in the crease during Game 5 against Vegas... it may have been directly response for a goal against, but it was still an out-muscle.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The only interesting note about Megna and Walker in my mind is that the team opted for speed over other qualities. Obviously it helped earn Stephenson his keep initially as well.

I thought the same thing earlier. Speed kills.
That said I still believe in balance.

Niskanen has 5 strong years left minimum. I hope they are here. He’s a damn good defensive d man who can play offense if something happens to Carlson.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Djoos out-muscled David Perron in the crease during Game 5 against Vegas... it may have been directly response for a goal against, but it was still an out-muscle.
He didnt out muscle him. He couldnt clear him out and they ended up in the crease behind Holtby. And it actually cost us a goal. If that is the extent of his strength than he shouldn't be in the NHL. He needs to add strength.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Semi suprised Barber cleared but I guess every team has a few "Barber's" of their own. I feel bad for him because this means he won't have any sort of NHL career at this point.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Toby Enstrom. He got stronger as I am sure Djoos will, but that's just one
I dont feel Enstrom was ever as weak physically as Djoos. Even if it is true, comparing his strength to Enstrom is far from a compliment. The point is he needs to gain strength to be a legitimate NHL defenseman. If he doesnt the most you could ever expect from him is to be a sheltered 3rd pairing dman.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Semi suprised Barber cleared but I guess every team has a few "Barber's" of their own. I feel bad for him because this means he won't have any sort of NHL career at this point.

Not surprised he cleared. At this time of year teams are trying to shorten their lineups. If it was later in the season he might not have cleared. I thought Barber had a descent shot at making the club especially after Boyd got hurt. Barber is a decent 2way player.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This much is true. Your opinion is the only one you tend to listen to. If aren't going to listen to the answer, don't ask the question. I am done with this. You don't like Djoos. He is the weakest NHL player ever. Next?
I listened to your opinion. I happen to disagree. Doesnt mean my opinion is right. If I didnt listen to your opinion I wouldnt have commented.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So with Wilson gone 8-10 does this mean Gersich comes back up? I really hope so.

Just spit ballin' here:

Ovie/Kuzy/Vrana
Oshie/Backs/Burakovsky
Stephenson/Eller/Connolly
DSP/Dowd/Gersich

Or maybe switch Connolly and Burakovsky.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
So with Wilson gone 8-10 does this mean Gersich comes back up? I really hope so.

Just spit ballin' here:

Ovie/Kuzy/Vrana
Oshie/Backs/Burakovsky
Stephenson/Eller/Connolly
DSP/Dowd/Gersich

Or maybe switch Connolly and Burakovsky.

Personally i’d like to keep bura on line three with Eller and Connolly. I think he has done the best there and I’m scared a 19/77/65 would be stagnant. I’d just put Gersich on that line with vrana moving up, keep Stephenson on the 4th

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Personally i’d like to keep bura on line three with Eller and Connolly. I think he has done the best there and I’m scared a 19/77/65 would be stagnant. I’d just put Gersich on that line with vrana moving up, keep Stephenson on the 4th

Oh I would love to have Gersich get top six minutes but there is no way they would do that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
moving Vrana messes up both of the top 2 lines. Move Connolly or give a kid a shot or both. This should be a breakout season for Vrana. don't start it by switching him off the line it was working with and switching him from Left Wing to Right. Leave him alone

Reactions: third man in

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Somebody said they liked how Stephenson looked with Eller. Could try that, with Connolly moving up to the 1st line like today, and Gersich/whoever stepping into Stephenson's place on the 4th line.

Makes sense to limit changes, especially initially, keeping existing lines or at least lines/combos that looked decent before.

In any case, it will be interesting to see. Without Wilson's intensity, I think the Caps are significantly more likely to have a rough start to the season, but it should work out just fine long term.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I love that line but Trotz seemed to avoid it except that one game in round two when he was effectively forced into it. I wonder how TR feels about it?
Trotz started last season with that line. They were together for quite a few games early on. They were scoring but that line also gave up quite a few goals.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think I would consider putting Stephenson with Ovi band Kuzy for defensive reasons. And he has the speed to keep up with them.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Raby brings up a good point about Wilson still counting as a roster spot:

Wilson really is a dumb ass, and in a friggin' pre-season game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad