Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I still don't know who the hell this Dowd is or where he came from. :huh:
Is he a hitchhiker?
Hitchhiker. Picked up by a DC motorist traveling in western Maryland. Unclear if he has played hockey before, but they’ll try to get him up to speed.

Dowd is a center, and Travis Boyd is currently hurt, so.

Dowd played for the Kings & Canucks. Is 28. Has almost 100 games in the league. Underwhelming stats. But maybe Caps see something.

Just from a fan/curiosity perspective, i’ll be bummed if another team grabs Barber off waivers before we ever really get a chance to see if amounts to anything, NHL wise.

Hard to get super excited about Megna. Similar to Dowd in terms of having bounced around the league without making much impression. But again, maybe the coaches have seen something this time around which other teams haven’t.

Or maybe it’s just a function of Boyd being hurt.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Also probably has to do with Gersich being waiver exempt and Walker likely being claimed if waived. Gersich will be up soon - I’m not worried.

No one is claiming Walker. Been there done that.

That's never a good tactic. Especially with young players. I'm not saying he shouldn't call him out but do in private.

Bowey is 23 that is not young in the NHL anymore.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Barber always was a complimentary player. Do we need one on the 4th line? I guess the answer is NO. Barber is not fast, not big, not strong, has no significant shot... He doesn't make his line go. How would he replace proven warrior DSP even will all his hamburgers?!

There will be a blood bath between bottom-6 Caps forwards this year - most of them have a contract year. What does Barber have against them? Any advantage for bottom-6 player? I don't see any honestly. It's a cup winning roster, they should demand something like a strong attribute. And Barber is kinda meh on many accounts.

I don't see anything illogical so far. Megna/Dowd are/were backup options for exactly the case we have atm: no younger smaller players got a separation from their peers (for 4W position). So Stephenson goes 4LW and Dowd goes 4C. That's not a position for small unproven guy (only for legends like Aucoin). Nothing to see here.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hitchhiker. Picked up by a DC motorist traveling in western Maryland. Unclear if he has played hockey before, but they’ll try to get him up to speed.

Dowd played for the Kings & Canucks. Is 28. Has almost 100 games in the league. Underwhelming stats. But maybe Caps see something.

Just from a fan/curiosity perspective, i’ll be bummed if another team grabs Barber off waivers before we ever really get a chance to see if amounts to anything, NHL wise.

Hard to get super excited about Megna. Similar to Dowd in terms of having bounced around the league without making much impression. But again, maybe the coaches have seen something this time around which other teams haven’t.

Those guys are Beagle type players but not as good. Both are right handed center men. I think that's what the Caps are looking for. Neither can replace Beagle in the faceoff dot. To me it looks like Dowd will be our 4th line center.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018

I feel the same way about Barber. I felt like he earned it. He didn’t even get to play last game and he was leading the team in shots going into the game with a goal and an assist as well. He kills penalties, plays a two hundred foot game and has speed. He’s put up points in Hershey for years. What more does the guy need to do just to get a shot? Much less talented players have gotten their shot before him consistently throughout his career.

Hopefully, with the waiver wires being flooded with players this time of year, this close to the start of the season, he makes it through. I still would like to see him get a real shot with the team and get some real playing time in the NHL before they give up on him. I think he’s earned that. We’ll see if he makes it through though. It happened to Stephenson last season and we all know how that turned out.

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
The only interesting note about Megna and Walker in my mind is that the team opted for speed over other qualities. Obviously it helped earn Stephenson his keep initially as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Portable Mink

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I actually liked Barber's play this TC. But its more about what type of style you want that 4th line to be. I hear people on the Megna thing over inhouse prospects that could fill the role but must admit he's played well.

Biggest surprise for me this TC is just how good Siegs looks out there man he looked good in the carolina game.

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
I actually liked Barber's play this TC. But its more about what type of style you want that 4th line to be. I hear people on the Megna thing over inhouse prospects that could fill the role but must admit he's played well.

Biggest surprise for me this TC is just how good Siegs looks out there man he looked good in the carolina game.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone saw Siegenthaler’s jump in development coming. I’m glad to see it and glad to see him get some games up here but I’m also fine with him spending most of the year in Hershey getting big minutes in 5-on-5 and the PK. If next year is his first full year in the pros he won’t be eligible for the expansion draft the following year either- assuming that ends up happening 2020. Given the team depth though, I guess they’re bound to lose a quality player no matter what, but Siegenthaler has his whole career in front of him and just turned 21, so I’d rather it not be him. His frame and physicality distinguishes him from other prospects too. I’ve always hoped he could end up being like a modern era Orpik replacement with better skating, speed and puck skills, though not quite as much strength, grit and physicality.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
If who makes the roster was really based upon performance/merit, then Siegenthaler should make the team and Bowey should not. I have seen nothing from Bowey in way of improvement so far.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I wonder if we start looking at flipping Lucas or someone for a RHD prospect in the future. With the insane amount of LD's we've got in the pipe, at some point we need to start looking at other slots and I'd really like to have a RD on the ice to supplement the prospective 44 - 29 line again.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wonder if we start looking at flipping Lucas or someone for a RHD prospect in the future. With the insane amount of LD's we've got in the pipe, at some point we need to start looking at other slots and I'd really like to have a RD on the ice to supplement the prospective 44 - 29 line again.

You don't like Djoos???

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You don't like Djoos???
I do, Id prefer him on the left and continue to solidify himself as a potential top 4 guy. The issue is Niskanen is 31, gonna be 32, and we have no one on the right in the pipeline who looks like they can fill that hole in 2 or 3 years when he starts to decline. All this is predocated on Bowey not taking a step.

On the flip aide, Orlov has the 1LD locked down for the foreseeable future, Djoos looks like he's at least an NHLer (I think a solid Top 4 guy), and Sieg is impressing. That's not even talking about Lujo or AA. So the left side seems set for the next 5 or so years if they continue to progress .

I just remember Orlovs adjustment from RD to LD when he spent most of his time their. I'd rather Djoos learn how to play his game in his proper spot.

Reactions: SBraun

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I do, Id prefer him on the left and continue to solidify himself as a potential top 4 guy. The issue is Niskanen is 31, gonna be 32, and we have no one on the right in the pipeline who looks like they can fill that hole in 2 or 3 years when he starts to decline. All this is predocated on Bowey not taking a step.

On the flip aide, Orlov has the 1LD locked down for the foreseeable future, Djoos looks like he's at least an NHLer (I think a solid Top 4 guy), and Sieg is impressing. That's not even talking about Lujo or AA. So the left side seems set for the next 5 or so years if they continue to progress .

I just remember Orlovs adjustment from RD to LD when he spent most of his time their. I'd rather Djoos learn how to play his game in his proper spot.

Orlov is there and with his contract Kempny is going to be on Carlson's left for a while. In a healthy lineup the right is the spot that's open for a player of his skill set.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The string of cheap LDs on ELC is what the doctor ordered for Caps (if they can hold their own).

LuJo is potentially more well rounded player than Djoos. Should be a fit for Carlson post Kempny. Why would they trade him?!

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Even Siege-Djoos doesnt sound bad.

Also: there was no Niskanen in the system before Niskanen. His replacement could be solved with trade or UFA signment but he could be good enough for his contract duration. Low priority problem imho.

Reactions: calicapsfan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If who makes the roster was really based upon performance/merit, then Siegenthaler should make the team and Bowey should not. I have seen nothing from Bowey in way of improvement so far.
If you want to get technical, Niskanen and Orlov have been our worst dmen in these playoffs.
I think Bowey play has gotten a bit better as the preseason has gone on. He has gotten some time on the pk too.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You don't like Djoos???
I'm not a fan of Djoos. He is decent with the puck but not so good without it and he gets out muscled by every single guy in the league. He is physically the weakest defenceman I've ever seen in the NHL.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Seigenthaler has one thing over Bowey and that is his ability to stay calm and make the safe play. I think Bowey is probably the more talented of the two.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not a fan of Djoos. He is decent with the puck but not so good without it and he gets out muscled by every single guy in the league. He is physically the weakest defenceman I've ever seen in the NHL.

Ever seen? Thats more than a little over the top. He gets out muscled. Yes. But ever? That's funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad