Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
For one, Reirden is not a Stanley cup winning head coach and 2nd that was more acceptable in the past than it is now. That remark should gave stayed between Reirden and Bowey.
Reirden gave a statement of fact. It was blunt. If Bowey can't handle that...

I'm sure Reirden has been far more pointed in private.

Reactions: Maldini

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm 50% sure Barber gets claimed. Don't understand Walker over Gersich but whatever these are tiny 4th line issues.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
For one, Reirden is not a Stanley cup winning head coach and 2nd that was more acceptable in the past than it is now. That remark should gave stayed between Reirden and Bowey.

What was Reirden supposed to say that would have been acceptable, in your words, when the reporter asked during a press conference where he was asked about Bowey's status?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What was Reirden supposed to say that would have been acceptable, in your words, when the reporter asked during a press conference where he was asked about Bowey's status?

Make no mistake. Telling the media that Bowey needs to prove to him that he deserves to play because he hasn't so far. That he needs to get the mistakes out of his game. Saying that was a choice. There are a lot of diplomatic ways to side step that question. As is done all the time.

Reirden did that for a reason. As we don't know the details of the in house and we don't know the dynamic of Reirden and Bowey, its impossible to judge whether that choice was the right one or not.

What we do know is that Reirden has been coaching the Caps defensemen for a while now. He has coached Bowey at least in camp for a while and as a Cap almost all of last season. I am confident that there is a fully developed relationship there. Its also pretty evident that Bowey isn't succeeding. Djoos jumped him last season and it appears Seigenthaler is jumping him this season.
Bowey's opportunity time is reaching critical stage.

Edit: The need to get Kempny was in part do to the lack of growth on the part of Bowey.

Reactions: Raikkonen

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I'm 50% sure Barber gets claimed. Don't understand Walker over Gersich but whatever these are tiny 4th line issues.

Its cause the 4th line is likely Stephenson dowd smith pelley so they dont want gersich sitting in the press cox

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And you have no clue what motivates any if these guys.

He doesn't have to know every specific preference to know the overall landscape. You, TX and I all have enough experience to know the general types of players/people out there and how responses to motivation styles vary. Do you think the entire Caps roster is composed of players who fit some brand new category of human?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Make no mistake. Telling the media that Bowey needs to prove to him that he deserves to play because he hasn't so far. That he needs to get the mistakes out of his game. Saying that was a choice. There are a lot of diplomatic ways to side step that question. As is done all the time.

I thought the way he phrased it all was a nice balance between diplomatic, honest and forthcoming. He didn't dodge the question, like he has been with DSP's conditioning issue, but he didn't trash the player or throw him under any sort of bus. He probably told the player the exact same thing he told the media, there's no reason on earth why he would have told Bowey in private anything different.

And to the rest of your post, yeah I tend to think TR knows what he has with Bowey at this point, is a little disappointed that he hasn't taken another step, and I agree with you that he's had the opportunity but at least two other players appear to have jumped right over him. But I disagree that his public comments were inappropriate or improper or should have been kept private.

Its up to the coaching staff to get the most out of every player. TR hasn't head coached a single NHL game yet so I'll cut him some slack on Bowey's development stall at this point, given that other players that TR has coached directly (Dmen) are showing very nice improvement and solid development. Not every prospect takes that final step, obviously, and maybe TR is running out of ways privately to find Bowey's next gear?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Reirden gave a statement of fact. It was blunt. If Bowey can't handle that...

I'm sure Reirden has been far more pointed in private.
And it should have been kept private. Reirden was wrong in the way he handled it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
All he had to say is that it is a work in progress. Reirden mishandled the situation.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He doesn't have to know every specific preference to know the overall landscape. You, TX and I all have enough experience to know the general types of players/people out there and how responses to motivation styles vary. Do you think the entire Caps roster is composed of players who fit some brand new category of human?
My point is that us as outsiders dont know what motivates any of these guys.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And it should have been kept private. Reirden was wrong in the way he handled it.

For a guy that tells me that I have no clue what motivates these players, you sure as shit seem to know a whole lot about how much a coach knows how to motivate a player.

Jun 15, 2007
How can we know Reirden was wrong until we see the results?

What if it works and it lights a fire under his ass?

Have to have faith in the coach until it's been proven he sucks.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well, no **** Sherlock. If you cant know that, how can you know the tactic was wrong?????
That's never a good tactic. Especially with young players.
I'm not saying he shouldn't call him out but do in private.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilson needs to change some, but the crap they are saying over there is nutso. His reputation has definitely outgrown his actions.
Tom Wilson plays the game much like the young Ovechkin. Tried to hit hard but clean. He made some bad decisions that got him in trouble. People said he was dirty. As he matured the mistakes were filtered away and the same will happen with Wilson

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Its cause the 4th line is likely Stephenson dowd smith pelley so they dont want gersich sitting in the press cox

Also probably has to do with Gersich being waiver exempt and Walker likely being claimed if waived. Gersich will be up soon - I’m not worried.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Kempny is not that injured they should send Siege down. Maybe thats what we see now (practice lines).

Djoos-Carlson is proven RS pair, 3rd pairs problems dont matter much. Chance for Bowey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad