Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
They could also waive Copley for a game? Or am I wrong? Sounds dumb now that I've thought about it a bit as I think/thought a roster had to have 2 Goalies on the roster to play.

Regardless, it probably means they'll send Siegs down. I don't think he has to worry about Waivers but it does suck as it looked like he was gonna get a bit of a shot up here. No way they send Bowey down unless they flat out don't believe in him anymore which I don't see due to how long they've held onto Bura.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think what they do for the time being is waive Walker and put Boyd on IR. They keep Bowey and Siegenthaler. They have a back to back and then some days off. then they play 3 games in 4 nights.

I think they skip the spare forward and get Siegenthaler one of the two opening games and at least one of the 3 in 4.

If a forward goes down, they call Gersich up and send Siege down. 3 home games. 2 road games. The road games at Pittsburgh and NJ. A player in Hershey can be in the Caps lineup in a few hours.

The Caps play games 6 and 7 at home. Then they do a west coast Canadian swing and would have to have a spare forward.

So my guess is that if Wilson gets 10 games, that they send Siege down for the road trip and call up a waiver free forward, Gersich. It would be ideal of the Wilson thing was 7 games or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky mitts

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think what they do for the time being is waive Walker and put Boyd on IR. They keep Bowey and Siegenthaler. They have a back to back and then some days off. then they play 3 games in 4 nights.

I think they skip the spare forward and get Siegenthaler one of the two opening games and at least one of the 3 in 4.

If a forward goes down, they call Gersich up and send Siege down. 3 home games. 2 road games. The road games at Pittsburgh and NJ. A player in Hershey can be in the Caps lineup in a few hours.

The Caps play games 6 and 7 at home. Then they do a west coast Canadian swing and would have to have a spare forward.

So my guess is that if Wilson gets 10 games, that they send Siege down for the road trip and call up a waiver free forward, Gersich. It would be ideal of the Wilson thing was 7 games or less.

This sounds like a good plan to me. It would be supper suck if we would lose a guy on waivers because of a dumb preseason hit.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Even a waiver eligible forward could be called up as they have to play in 10 games or spend 30 days on the NHL roster before needing to clear waivers again, though Gersich could still be the guy they call up.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
At least with DSP in the “not conditioning” dog house, we don’t have to worry about him being the top line fill-in while Wilson is suspended.

Wonder which of 65 or 10 gets the top 6 bump, and if they’ll go on the top line or if Oshie will get shifted up.

Personally, I think I’d try:
8-92-65
13-19-77
18-20-10
79-26-2

Sleeper candidate (depending on how long Wilson is suspended): Shumakov. If he acquits himself well in Hershey, this could be the door for a call-up into a top 6 role. Doubtful it ends up happening, but this is an opportunity for him as one of the few offensively gifted players in Hershey.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think I'd go with:

8-92-77
13-19-18
10-20-65
79-26-25

8-92-77 has been a fantastic line since Oshie came to DC and I don't imagine their chemistry changing now. Not sure if I want Stephenson or Connolly bumped up to the second line, but for now I put Stephenson. Stephenson has more speed and defensive awareness but Connolly is certainly more gifted offensively and isn't afraid to shoot, something Stephenson still needs to work on. Still, having Connolly on the third line keeps them 3 lines deep even without Wilson in the lineup.

I'd also like to see Walker in the lineup but I hope they give him PKing duties if he is. Still not sure why they didn't think he could PK last season despite doing so in Hershey.

Reactions: RandyHolt

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Also as a separate note if none of the current 4C options work they should look at signing Nick Shore. He's right-handed, 50% FO, and more importantly a relatively strong possession player who puts up about 20 points a year for his career (about the same as Beagle).

Micah at hockey-viz estimates this as his isolated impact:

shoreni92

Decent defensively at ES and very strong on the PK.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Leafs surprise folks and waive McEllheiny over Sparks, but thankfully Copley has played well enough that it's not really a consideration for the Capitals. If Copley falters, the Leafs org could still be a good trade target to supplement the back-up position.

More interestingly, Connor Carrick on waivers. I'd take him over Bowey at this point, albeit Bowey has more long-term upside if he ever puts it together.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Kind of hoping for a Shumakov call up to see what he's got. We've seen enough of 65 on the top two lines over the years and he doesn't look any different this preseason. Streaky scoring depth with no brain.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I just don’t want to see a pending RFA on the top line to drive up their price tag like Wilson

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
More interestingly, Connor Carrick on waivers. I'd take him over Bowey at this point, albeit Bowey has more long-term upside if he ever puts it together.

Have you seen Carrick play in the last two seasons? He is bad, like really bad.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Connor Carrick is an example of why I think the Capitals should kick the tires on a Bowey trade.

It's often said that defensemen take long to develop than forwards, and while I think that's mostly true I think that if a young D looks overwhelmed at the NHL level early they probably aren't going to have much of a career. Green, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Schmidt, and Djoos all showed some level of competency immediately in their first seasons in the NHL and I didn't really see that with Bowey last season or Carrick in his first season in Washington.

Give Bowey one more shot early this season, but if he doesn't show anything then I'd rather trade him while he still has value and promote someone like Siegenthaler, Johansen, or even Hobbs as the 6D if a spot is open and keep someone like Lewington or Ness as the 7D.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I hope he gets 15+ games, maybe losing a couple million will make him think twice before trying to kill guys out there.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Connor Carrick is an example of why I think the Capitals should kick the tires on a Bowey trade.

It's often said that defensemen take long to develop than forwards, and while I think that's mostly true I think that if a young D looks overwhelmed at the NHL level early they probably aren't going to have much of a career. Green, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Schmidt, and Djoos all showed some level of competency immediately in their first seasons in the NHL and I didn't really see that with Bowey last season or Carrick in his first season in Washington.

Give Bowey one more shot early this season, but if he doesn't show anything then I'd rather trade him while he still has value and promote someone like Siegenthaler, Johansen, or even Hobbs as the 6D if a spot is open and keep someone like Lewington or Ness as the 7D.

I thought Carrick showed a decent amount in his first season in Washington. It was obvious that they rushed him into the NHL (he shouldn't have been there as a 19 year old), but he was at least making plays along with his gaffes.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Have you seen Carrick play in the last two seasons? He is bad, like really bad.
Yes, I have. He is not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. He's a servicable 6/7, which is ahead of where Bowey is at this point. He's also pretty darn physical for a player his size.

Reactions: Jags

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yes, I have. He is not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. He's a servicable 6/7, which is ahead of where Bowey is at this point. He's also pretty darn physical for a player his size.

We are not watching the same player than, because he is horrible in front of the net, can't handle a board battle and gets pushed around easily all the time. The only thing he does well is jump into the play offensively. He couldn't make a Leafs team desperate for a right shot D-man, just sayin'.

I would take Bowey over Carrick all day.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Carrick is good enough for the NHL. Not sure that he's good enough in any capacity for a cup contender. Nonetheless, he's already in Dallas so thats irrelevant now.

Caps should not trade for a defenseman. Have too many of their own. D for F is what they should be looking for.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We are not watching the same player than, because he is horrible in front of the net, can't handle a board battle and gets pushed around easily all the time. The only thing he does well is jump into the play offensively. He couldn't make a Leafs team desperate for a right shot D-man, just sayin'.

I would take Bowey over Carrick all day.

The Leafs are desperate for top 4 defensemen. They have plenty of bottom pairing guys. Half of their depth guys are right shots (Zaitsev, Hainesy, Ozhiganov).

He's undersized, but he's fiesty and not afraid to lay out a huge hit when the opportunity presents itself.

Both of those fight videos start with him laying the lumber down on the player who would eventually fight him.

Does he get pushed around in front of the net sometimes? Sure, but so do a great many NHL defenders. Djoos got abused in front of the net repeatedly last season (including that Perron goal in the SCF). Orpik gets beat in front of the net all the time (and does similar things to what Djoos did on that Perron goal, where he pushes the player in a battle but doesn't actually stop the puck from getting on net). It happens to Niskanen and Orlov when they don't get inside position. It's a pretty common deficiency among NHL forwards.

Carrick isn't a star, and perhaps wouldn't be a great fit on a pairing with Djoos, but he's worthy of an NHL gig. And Dallas is giving him a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad