Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still think Oprik's bonus clause is a tell of what they expect from him this year. He should get into 40+ games. Injuries aside I expect Bowey Djoos and Orpik to split the games - about 55 games each. I would rather Orpik be the designated 7 to start the year, but expect he will be a fixture in the lineup next loffs regardless.

When is the last time we had a kid sitting as our 7.... Nolan Yonkman?

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky mitts

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You can't seem to respond to a single post without dialing everything to 11, so yeah, bloodlust.

"Even" is what I stand by, personally. I changed that to moderately outplayed to see if you'd budge, but I guess not.

Orpik wasn't regularly playing with Carlson before Kempny was acquired, Djoos was. After a few weeks of juggling where they tried the new acquisitions in the 4 spot with Carlson, Djoos and Bowey were both dropped in favor of Kempny and Jerabek. Djoos comes back in after Jerabek blows it in the playoffs, but now he's playing the right side where Bowey was for the majority of the season. I have no problem with that because they're gearing up for a playoff race, and I'm fully aware of what Orpik can bring to the table there, but those aren't the same personnel decisions I think you should be making in October.

He hasn't "lost" anything, I believe I've already said you'd need camp+ to determine whether any of this matters either way, but he shouldn't be immune to it the way you suggest he is. I've tried really hard to make clear that all I'm asking is that he not be given the veteran romance treatment, but that's all I'm hearing here. Winning a Cup didn't make Mike Babcock's Franzen obsession any less stupid.

What happens when Kempny keeps the last top 4 slot and all it does is force Djoos to the scratch list because Bowey's a natural RD?

I’m not sure you understand blood lust either. I think you are wrong, so I’m replying in kind. I’m some how frenzied, is that it?

So back on topic. Orpik’s most common line mate last season at ES was.....Carlson. 40% of the time. Go ahead, look it up. Brooks Orpik - Frozen Tools

Bowey was 2nd at 31%, then everyone else made up the last 29%. So yes, he DID play a lot with Carlson, as I stated. He shouldn’t have.

Orpik averaged almost 20m a game in the regula season. He averaged less than 17 in the playoffs. 2.5m more per game in RS. That’s almost 15% more.

Why exactly do you think he looked so much better in the playoffs, again? Couldn’t possibly have been proper usage, could it? I’m assuming that doesn’t fit your narrative here.

So your handwringing is here is that Bowey might outplay Djoos? And force him to get sat down? I doubt it. I think the team will be locked into the group that won the Cup. Least for the first 10 games or so. That sample size should carry more weight than a few preseason games. You disagree?

As I stated, if someone falls flat on their face, then ok. But I doubt that will happen. I dont care of someone outplays someone else by a little bit here or there. You go with the Cup winning team again, barring injury. You just do. Again, I don’t think you understand the locker room piece, at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajax1995

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Orpik was on ice protecting one goal lead for the dying seconds of stanley cup finals, game 5. Couple months ago. Not bad considering he is a relic who cant skate and should be considered as a liability..

And in the dying seconds of games protecting leads I would love to have Orpik on the ice, it's the other 20 minutes he is putrid, like in every measurable defensive play metric he was in the bottom two IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE last season putrid.

Locker room stuff, work ethic stuff, I get all that but MY opinion is they won the Cup now, this is house money, let's see what happens with Bowey, Johansen, Djoos, Seithenthaler and maybe even give Hobbs a few games. Trade chips, the future of the team, it's time to see what they have.

Lastly, I know Orpik is playing every game this season he is able to play, there is no doubt in my mind, and at a million dollars it's not horrible, it just feels like a wasted year for some kids and that definitely is the thing that bothers me about bringing Orpik back.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
And in the dying seconds of games protecting leads I would love to have Orpik on the ice, it's the other 20 minutes he is putrid, like in every measurable defensive play metric he was in the bottom two IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE last season putrid.

Locker room stuff, work ethic stuff, I get all that but MY opinion is they won the Cup now, this is house money, let's see what happens with Bowey, Johansen, Djoos, Seithenthaler and maybe even give Hobbs a few games. Trade chips, the future of the team, it's time to see what they have.

Lastly, I know Orpik is playing every game this season he is able to play, there is no doubt in my mind, and at a million dollars it's not horrible, it just feels like a wasted year for some kids and that definitely is the thing that bothers me about bringing Orpik back.

Orpik’s TOI was an issue. 1922 a game in RS. It was 1649 in Loffs. That’s a huge difference.

People want to point towards his improved play in the Loffs as being due to “him ratcheting up his game” and “playoffs are geared towards his style of play”.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I think it’s more about his minutes and how he was used. I also think Djoos is a good partner for him, off hand and all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I still think Oprik's bonus clause is a tell of what they expect from him this year. He should get into 40+ games. Injuries aside I expect Bowey Djoos and Orpik to split the games - about 55 games each. I would rather Orpik be the designated 7 to start the year, but expect he will be a fixture in the lineup next loffs regardless.

When is the last time we had a kid sitting as our 7.... Nolan Yonkman?

Had a kid sitting as an 8 not too long ago. Someone that required waivers to send down. Cant remember who that was

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik’s TOI was an issue. 1922 a game in RS. It was 1649 in Loffs. That’s a huge difference.

People want to point towards his improved play in the Loffs as being due to “him ratcheting up his game” and “playoffs are geared towards his style of play”.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I think it’s more about his minutes and how he was used. I also think Djoos is a good partner for him, off hand and all.

Orpik was really worn down by the minutes that he had to carry when Niskanen was injured. What was that? The first 6 weeks of the season? When Niskanen came back they started that rotation where the 5 and 6 defensemen played with Carlson and Orpik with Orpik rotating in with Carlson for crucial defensive situations. After Kempny, Orpik's minutes stabilized about where his playoff numbers were.

As for the playoffs, the style of game in the playoffs comes to Orpik. Not the other way around. There is just more fight in the corners and in front of the net than in the regular season because its live or die. The quality of the team defense and goaltending drive even more play to the front of the net. Djoos got manhandled in those areas. That was mitigated by Orpik being the manhandler.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I’m not sure you understand blood lust either. I think you are wrong, so I’m replying in kind. I’m some how frenzied, is that it?

So back on topic. Orpik’s most common line mate last season at ES was.....Carlson. 40% of the time. Go ahead, look it up. Brooks Orpik - Frozen Tools

Bowey was 2nd at 31%, then everyone else made up the last 29%. So yes, he DID play a lot with Carlson, as I stated. He shouldn’t have.

Orpik averaged almost 20m a game in the regula season. He averaged less than 17 in the playoffs. 2.5m more per game in RS. That’s almost 15% more.

Why exactly do you think he looked so much better in the playoffs, again? Couldn’t possibly have been proper usage, could it? I’m assuming that doesn’t fit your narrative here.

So your handwringing is here is that Bowey might outplay Djoos? And force him to get sat down? I doubt it. I think the team will be locked into the group that won the Cup. Least for the first 10 games or so. That sample size should carry more weight than a few preseason games. You disagree?

As I stated, if someone falls flat on their face, then ok. But I doubt that will happen. I dont care of someone outplays someone else by a little bit here or there. You go with the Cup winning team again, barring injury. You just do. Again, I don’t think you understand the locker room piece, at all.
Why do you think Bowey won't outplay Djoos? I think Bowey has more potential as an NHL dman than Djoos. He could pass him on the depth chart before long.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Physically yes, but with hockey sense Djoos is miles ahead right now.
Djoos isn't miles ahead in hockey sense. He is better moving the puck but that's it. You have to be able to play without the puck too. Djoos doesnt do that very well at all. Bowey and Djoos were rookies so you expect that. That is why both players were sheltered. However Djoos was sheltered more than Bowey was. I would say Djoos was slightly ahead if Bowey last season. But I think Bowey has a chance to pass him this season. There could be some other prospects that pass Djoos in the near future. Like Johansen, Hobbs, Seigenhalter and Alexeyev.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Why do you think Bowey won't outplay Djoos? I think Bowey has more potential as an NHL dman than Djoos. He could pass him on the depth chart before long.

It’s a long season. Bowey could pass him over time, but he certainly won’t by the end of camp.

As I’ve stated a few times, I expect to see the Cup winning lineup (sans Beagle and Grubs, obv) rolled out for game 1, and for the majority of the first 10+ games. B2B’s will probably force some lineup changes, but that’s about it.

If the tram stumbles to start the season (read, after 10 games), then we may see some roster changes. Of course if they start like 0-4 or 1-5 or something, then sooner.

But I don’t expect that. I expect the team to come out clicking, and for them to start the season fast. No Cup hangover. I think the confidence in themselves and the comraderie of the group — as well as playing well for the new coach — will vault them to a different level internally. Injuries could obviously be a factor, but if they are healthy, I expect a strong start.

I also expect a different back up G to be signed before camp. As I’ve stated multiple times, I think it will be Lehtonen. I think they have a 1yr offer out to him (prob for 1.25 to 1.75m), and his camp and the team are waiting to see what else unfolds. Lehtonen may want a larger deal, and is waiting to see what shakes out. They may also be talking to Pavalec, but I don’t really see him as a much better answer than Copley. I do see Lehtonen as an answer. He could easily step in for a spell if Holts gets hurt.

Anyway, we will see.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Maybe. Maybe not.

Holy shit, it’s around 20 per game prior to the Kempny trade! 20:33 before the break! Championship team giving a guy outscored at ES -0.5/60 (worst on team) 16:13 ES/game, 4th on the team!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Djoos isn't miles ahead in hockey sense. He is better moving the puck but that's it. You have to be able to play without the puck too. Djoos doesnt do that very well at all. Bowey and Djoos were rookies so you expect that. That is why both players were sheltered. However Djoos was sheltered more than Bowey was. I would say Djoos was slightly ahead if Bowey last season. But I think Bowey has a chance to pass him this season. There could be some other prospects that pass Djoos in the near future. Like Johansen, Hobbs, Seigenhalter and Alexeyev.

Djoos seems a far “headier” player than Bowey so far. That was certainly the projection going into last year too. Bowey had more talent, but more issues re: seeing and thinking the game. That bore out, IMO.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Orpik was really worn down by the minutes that he had to carry when Niskanen was injured. What was that? The first 6 weeks of the season? When Niskanen came back they started that rotation where the 5 and 6 defensemen played with Carlson and Orpik with Orpik rotating in with Carlson for crucial defensive situations. After Kempny, Orpik's minutes stabilized about where his playoff numbers were.

As for the playoffs, the style of game in the playoffs comes to Orpik. Not the other way around. There is just more fight in the corners and in front of the net than in the regular season because its live or die. The quality of the team defense and goaltending drive even more play to the front of the net. Djoos got manhandled in those areas. That was mitigated by Orpik being the manhandler.

I think Bowey could morph into that role over time. He’s got the size and snarl, IMO. We will see

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You think based on the “eye test”, forget stats, Orpik was good last season?

Never said that. Struggled in the regular season mightily before being a key D cog in winning it all. I see and understand his value. Metrics seem to obscure that for some of you.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Had a kid sitting as an 8 not too long ago. Someone that required waivers to send down. Cant remember who that was

Wasn't he sent down to Hershey?

But a kid sitting was not the plan for the year. And that is what we are talking about now, the start of the year - basically the projected number of games for Orpik. Some say he will be a regular. When is the last time we started a year with a kid as a 7, and he remained so for the majority of the year.

I am taking the under on RS games for Orpik.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ok, lets put it this way, when, not if, Kempny, Orlov, Carlson, Niskanen, misses games who do we all think gets moved up in to the top four?

And again, my posts are not complaints about Orpik per se, only the blocking of a young Dman's advancement.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ok, lets put it this way, when, not if, Kempny, Orlov, Carlson, Niskanen, misses games who do we all think gets moved up in to the top four?

And again, my posts are not complaints about Orpik per se, only the blocking of a young Dman's advancement.
This year it won’t be Trotz coaching for his job, less impulse to rely on a crutch

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

All I care about is winning another Cup.

(And I LOVE saying “another”, for the first time ever?)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
All I care about is winning another Cup.

(And I LOVE saying “another”, for the first time ever?)

As we all do, I just don't know that Orpik gets them closer to that at his age and ability level. Hopefully come mid October it is all a moot point and Reirden plays the top six guys based on performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad