Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
And that's unfortunate, because he should. If Orpik is being missed as a bench presence, alternate captain, what have you, then punch him back in for 10 games to remind everyone how to be. Otherwise I'd prefer he set that tone in practice/the room.

I'd like ~50 games from Orpik between matchup decisions, injury fill-ins, etc.

We're reaching (have reached) a point with Orpik where he's no longer a babysitter, but someone who needs babysitting. I don't see how it's good for Bowey, Djoos, or whoever else may occupy the spot to develop a game tailored to cleaning up after Orpik. I don't think he's done, but I think you'll have an exceptionally hard time preparing any of the young defensemen for the game of the "new" NHL defenseman when they're shackled to a relic who can't play that way. The things that remain to be learned from Orpik are largely off-ice, or lessons you can teach in smaller doses against tougher, north-south teams.

So you want to see Brooks get stripped of the A?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If say Bowey is ready to play over Orpik Im sure everybody will notice that (and he will actually play over Orpik).

I dont see a problem here.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So you want to see Brooks get stripped of the A?

Stripped is a big word, but I'd like to see it float when he's not playing, yes.

Losing a letter or even a regular roster spot isn't going to make that guy any less 'batya', and frankly if you're going to groom a guy to coach he should probably spend a fair amount of time looking at the game as a guy in a suit rather than a player on the ice. Transitioning to coaching isn't the same as just losing a leadership letter, there's no shame or disrespect in it. More X's and O's work for Brooks, more play for the youth, a "reward letter" to motivate practice/game efforts in a post-cup season, and a rested and plenty playable Orpik when you need him, either because Bowey needs to sit for a spell, or Kempny's injured, or Djoos might get crushed against Anaheim or whatever.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Stripped is a big word, but I'd like to see it float when he's not playing, yes.

Losing a letter or even a regular roster spot isn't going to make that guy any less 'batya', and frankly if you're going to groom a guy to coach he should probably spend a fair amount of time looking at the game as a guy in a suit rather than a player on the ice. Transitioning to coaching isn't the same as just losing a leadership letter, there's no shame or disrespect in it. More X's and O's work for Brooks, more play for the youth, a "reward letter" to motivate practice/game efforts in a post-cup season, and a rested and plenty playable Orpik when you need him, either because Bowey needs to sit for a spell, or Kempny's injured, or Djoos might get crushed against Anaheim or whatever.

I don’t think they give the A to a guy that’s gonna sit in the press box 40% of the season. At least not by plan. That seems far too disruptive for such a tight knit team. Especially considering the reverence many players show 44. Bad message.

Look, if Orpik gets thoroughly outplayed by Bowey, then I’m assuming he will get a sweater. But that’s not what happened last year, it certainly wasn’t what happened in the playoffs, and it’s not what the expectation is going into camp.

Again, Orpik is an A, the first trusted advisor of the new coach, and one of the most respected guys in the room. Unless the bottom falls out of his game, he’s going to play most nights. As he should.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don’t think the give the A to a guy that’s gonna sit in the press box 40% of the season. At least not by plan. That seems far too disruptive for such a tight knit team. Especially considering the reference many players show 44. Bad message.

Look, it Orpik gets thoroughly outplayed by Bowey, then I’m assuming he will get a sweater. But that’s not what happened last year, it certainly wasn’t what happened in the playoffs, and it’s not what the expectation is going into camp.

Again, Orpik is an A, the first trusted advisor of the new coach, and one of the most respected guys in the room. Unless the bottom falls out of his game, he’s going to play most nights. As he should.
The bottom fell out. He was an anchor attached to Carlson's hip two years ago and one of the worst defensemen in the regular season this past year.

If it's not your expectation going into camp, I get that, but it's absolutely mine. Even if Orpik and Bowey are just on comparable footing, you err towards the player with a development arc. Preparing for a move to coaching is literally putting the first foot out the door anyway, Orpik should already be aware that his time is almost up. Nobody in that room is going to stop respecting him because he commands it anyway, and aside from that, becoming a pseudo-coach commands its own level of respect. And if Brooks is involved in making that call himself?

Putting what's best for the team over one's own pride or vanity should basically be coaching lesson #1.

edit: I'd rather watch a Djoos-Bowey pairing find their strengths and weaknesses as a unit than watch "the most known quantity" Brooks Orpik field regular shifts in December.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBraun

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The bottom fell out. He was an anchor attached to Carlson's hip two years ago and one of the worst defensemen in the regular season this past year.

If it's not your expectation going into camp, I get that, but it's absolutely mine. Even if Orpik and Bowey are just on comparable footing, you err towards the player with a development arc. Preparing for a move to coaching is literally putting the first foot out the door anyway, Orpik should already be aware that his time is almost up. Nobody in that room is going to stop respecting him because he commands it anyway, and aside from that, becoming a pseudo-coach commands its own level of respect. And if Brooks is involved in making that call himself?

Putting what's best for the team over one's own pride or vanity should basically be coaching lesson #1.

edit: I'd rather watch a Djoos-Bowey pairing find their strengths and weaknesses as a unit than watch "the most known quantity" Brooks Orpik field regular shifts in December.

This isn’t some rebuilding or emerging team. Bowey’s development will happen on its own.

No Freaking Chance you hand a tie to the newbie over the guy that just helped you win a Cup. That would be insane. These hockey players are human (so many people forget that...it’s absurd) and they obviously believe in Orpik. All of them. It was obvious...I should hope you saw that.

Look, I get that I’m posting in Hockey’s Future Forum. So the young kid will always trump the grizzled vet.

However, that’s not real life, nor should it be....if you think for a second that any coach (much less his confidant Reirden) would bench the leader of the defense, an assistant captain, and one of the backbones of the summer Cup run, you are crazy.

It shouldn’t happen, and it won’t.

If Bowey plays lights out over the season and wins the job, then great. But Good Lord would it be foolish to start the season with Bowey as 6 and Orpik as 7. Reirden knows this. The team knows this. It’s ok that you don’t.

We can agree to disagree.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The real telltale will be what happens when one of the true top 4D gets hurt. Will they push a Brooks back into that role? Or allow a Djoos or a Bowey to handle it?

I’d say it depends when, and who, gets hurt. Too many variables. I’d like them to keep 44 in bottom pair, PK, end of game w lead types of sheltered minutes. No matter what. Unless 2-3 top 4 are injured at same time. That’s a different animal.

I think that largely depends on if Djoos/Bowey are playing well or not. I expect him to get crunch time shifts to close out games still.

If they’re smart and the others can play well with the additional ice time, they’ll try to keep him fresh.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And that's unfortunate, because he should. If Orpik is being missed as a bench presence, alternate captain, what have you, then punch him back in for 10 games to remind everyone how to be. Otherwise I'd prefer he set that tone in practice/the room.

I'd like ~50 games from Orpik between matchup decisions, injury fill-ins, etc.

We're reaching (have reached) a point with Orpik where he's no longer a babysitter, but someone who needs babysitting. I don't see how it's good for Bowey, Djoos, or whoever else may occupy the spot to develop a game tailored to cleaning up after Orpik. I don't think he's done, but I think you'll have an exceptionally hard time preparing any of the young defensemen for the game of the "new" NHL defenseman when they're shackled to a relic who can't play that way. The things that remain to be learned from Orpik are largely off-ice, or lessons you can teach in smaller doses against tougher, north-south teams.

Guys who don’t play are limted as leaders typically. Terrible idea to have him try to set the tone in practice then go sit him in the press box.

Like do you not remember who was out there to just clinch the Cup the last minutes of the Championship run? I promise you every teammate and coach does.

He’s effective enough in his own end and brings a physicality and toughness nobody else does. I know this is HF and all but come on, youth isn’t always the answer. Bowey needs to earn his lineup spot. Gifting it is BS.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My read is that the Caps didn't sign Orpik to watch and fill in. Who is going to pick up his role? His assignments? There is a pk stud in there among Kempny, Djoos and Bowey? The last 10 minutes of a one goal lead last season and playoffs Orpik moved up to play with Carlson. There is room in the lineup for 2 of those 3 guys. But none of them play the style of game and pick up the type of minutes that Orpik does.

He is on the team to play. Being the daddy is a 2nd tier responsibility.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This isn’t some rebuilding or emerging team. Bowey’s development will happen on its own.

No Freaking Chance you hand a tie to the newbie over the guy that just helped you win a Cup. That would be insane. These hockey players are human (so many people forget that...it’s absurd) and they obviously believe in Orpik. All of them. It was obvious...I should hope you saw that.

Look, I get that I’m posting in Hockey’s Future Forum. So the young kid will always trump the grizzled vet.

However, that’s not real life, nor should it be....if you think for a second that any coach (much less his confidant Reirden) would bench the leader of the defense, an assistant captain, and one of the backbones of the summer Cup run, you are crazy.

It shouldn’t happen, and it won’t.

If Bowey plays lights out over the season and wins the job, then great. But Good Lord would it be foolish to start the season with Bowey as 6 and Orpik as 7. Reirden knows this. The team knows this. It’s ok that you don’t.

We can agree to disagree

a.) The team doesn't know anything until we've seen it. That'll take camp+, so, no.

b.) People "agree to disagree" on opinion, not fact. If you'd like to present your opinion as an opinion we can agree to disagree, but it's another thing to play both cards simultaneously and it's not exactly the friendliest look.

c.) The italicized goes both ways. If Orpik shows up and plays like he's 30, nobody (myself included) would bat an eye at him starting over a young player with plenty of time left. What we're doing here, and would be doing in any projection of the coming season whether this website has the word 'Future' in it or not, is trying to figure out how likely that is moving forward, and it's simply not very likely at all that Orpik improves. It's only barely likely that he treads water. I don't know why you seem to think Brooks Orpik is getting locked away in a time capsule when he's not being used.

d.) All of these romantic reasons you've given are just that, romantic. They won't make him a better player, and that's what the Capitals should be looking for in training camp. They are arguably the reason he was re-signed this off-season, but weren't enough to save him from being traded and subsequently bought out. You should value that at about what it brings to your hockey team: a locker room/practice presence, a role model for young professionals, and maaaybe some hockey games when necessary.

e.) These hockey players are human, they believe in Orpik. So what's stopping Orpik from telling them "yeah, I'm fine with it. You're all still hung over anyway so let the kids take October, I'll still be here in February if you need me." It's only some awful sleight destined to cause locker room drama because you've decided it is, but you can easily spin it the other way where ol' uncle Brooksy has bigger fish to fry, he's got a whole second career he's training for, and he's literally still there whenever the team collectively needs him.

Reactions: BondraEra

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
My read is that the Caps didn't sign Orpik to watch and fill in. Who is going to pick up his role? His assignments? There is a pk stud in there among Kempny, Djoos and Bowey? The last 10 minutes of a one goal lead last season and playoffs Orpik moved up to play with Carlson. There is room in the lineup for 2 of those 3 guys. But none of them play the style of game and pick up the type of minutes that Orpik does.

He is on the team to play. Being the daddy is a 2nd tier responsibility.

The good thing about Orpik being, you know, on the roster is that he's still on the roster for exactly that. Play him in the playoffs, I don't care, if he has another run like this past one the team is all the better for it.

But in the 7th game of the regular season? Find another PK stud. Make one out of Kempny, or see what Bowey brings to camp this year. There are fewer and fewer defensemen in the league that play a style of game that Orpik does, full stop, I don't believe that you need a direct replacement in that sense, and if there are games on the schedule where you might: you've still got him. Find other ways to succeed, challenge your players, remove their safety blankets. Make a guy like Carlson think about playing tougher because Orpik isn't in the lineup tonight, so someone's got to step it up. Make him hear it from Coach Orpik himself.

Once again for posterity, I'm not saying Orpik is cooked. In fact I'm very pro- cycling him in through the season until he's phasing the least-ready defenseman out of the playoffs. What I'm advocating for is giving the younger defensemen rope to play with in October where the games don't require playoff-levels of experience, grit, etc. etc.

It's about creating the most opportunity for all parties. Orpik is the least likely to grow with experience, so he should do well with less.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

My only issue is he is blocking a pretty decent kid from getting a years experience in the NHL...

I am right there with you, but suspect the top dogs think all those young guys he is blocking will also be better in the end.

I wonder which LD behind Djoos is most likely to be blocked.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The good thing about Orpik being, you know, on the roster is that he's still on the roster for exactly that. Play him in the playoffs, I don't care, if he has another run like this past one the team is all the better for it.

But in the 7th game of the regular season? Find another PK stud. Make one out of Kempny, or see what Bowey brings to camp this year. There are fewer and fewer defensemen in the league that play a style of game that Orpik does, full stop, I don't believe that you need a direct replacement in that sense, and if there are games on the schedule where you might: you've still got him. Find other ways to succeed, challenge your players, remove their safety blankets. Make a guy like Carlson think about playing tougher because Orpik isn't in the lineup tonight, so someone's got to step it up. Make him hear it from Coach Orpik himself.

Once again for posterity, I'm not saying Orpik is cooked. In fact I'm very pro- cycling him in through the season until he's phasing the least-ready defenseman out of the playoffs. What I'm advocating for is giving the younger defensemen rope to play with in October where the games don't require playoff-levels of experience, grit, etc. etc.

It's about creating the most opportunity for all parties. Orpik is the least likely to grow with experience, so he should do well with less.

It’s like you’re on a quest to make sure 44 is out of the lineup....strange....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am right there with you, but suspect the top dogs think all those young guys he is blocking will also be better in the end.

I wonder which LD behind Djoos is most likely to be blocked.

I suspect the top dogs think he’s just the better option this coming year when they’re trying to repeat. If someone plays him out of the lineup, then by all means. Until then...

Reactions: calicapsfan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Speaking of Orpik, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to stay within the Caps organization as part of the coaching or training staff after he retires.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It’s like you’re on a quest to make sure 44 is out of the lineup....strange....
I suspect the top dogs think he’s just the better option this coming year when they’re trying to repeat. If someone plays him out of the lineup, then by all means. Until then...
What's strange is asking if I remember recent history like we didn't just get past a point where a younger, much better defenseman was being benched in favor of guys he was already playing out of the lineup. I'm not talking about gifting anybody anything, but I don't want to see that again and there's no guarantee that it won't right now. In fact I've recently been guaranteed that there's no way Reirden would bench his confidant (unless he's being outplayed, which is all I'm asking for anyway).

I believe Orpik was one of the worst defensemen in the league last season and that it's possible there's an improvement in-house, while acknowledging that the Capitals need someone who plays his playoff game... in the playoffs. That's why I said in my original post that I'd like to see Orpik for around 50+ games this season, appearing more regularly as it goes on. Ideally a reduced role for Orpik means someone else has made it hard for him to find regular season playing time by having success of their own, and I don't care who that is. Unless Orpik gets much better himself, which I don't think is very reasonable to expect, then I'd like to see a scenario in which the team plays him because the team needs him specifically, and I don't think that's a nightly occurrence right out of the gate because he's simply not that good anymore.

The first test is for other players like Wilson, Carlson, Niskanen, Oshie, etc. to take what they've learned from him as a leader on the bench and apply it now that he's "gone". If it fails, again, he's not gone, so the fix is pretty simple. Much like starting Grubauer in the playoffs, it's worth exploring to test the limits of your players' potential, and the "triumphant return" itself is a mid-season/series boost that can stave off disaster if necessary.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He might not be that great, but neither are the guys playing behind him. If Orpik stinks, and others outplay him, Reirden will absolutely make the lineup change.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
a.) The team doesn't know anything until we've seen it. That'll take camp+, so, no.

b.) People "agree to disagree" on opinion, not fact. If you'd like to present your opinion as an opinion we can agree to disagree, but it's another thing to play both cards simultaneously and it's not exactly the friendliest look.

c.) The italicized goes both ways. If Orpik shows up and plays like he's 30, nobody (myself included) would bat an eye at him starting over a young player with plenty of time left. What we're doing here, and would be doing in any projection of the coming season whether this website has the word 'Future' in it or not, is trying to figure out how likely that is moving forward, and it's simply not very likely at all that Orpik improves. It's only barely likely that he treads water. I don't know why you seem to think Brooks Orpik is getting locked away in a time capsule when he's not being used.

d.) All of these romantic reasons you've given are just that, romantic. They won't make him a better player, and that's what the Capitals should be looking for in training camp. They are arguably the reason he was re-signed this off-season, but weren't enough to save him from being traded and subsequently bought out. You should value that at about what it brings to your hockey team: a locker room/practice presence, a role model for young professionals, and maaaybe some hockey games when necessary.

e.) These hockey players are human, they believe in Orpik. So what's stopping Orpik from telling them "yeah, I'm fine with it. You're all still hung over anyway so let the kids take October, I'll still be here in February if you need me." It's only some awful sleight destined to cause locker room drama because you've decided it is, but you can easily spin it the other way where ol' uncle Brooksy has bigger fish to fry, he's got a whole second career he's training for, and he's literally still there whenever the team collectively needs him.

So in your “scenario”, Orpik tells the team he is ok not playing, and that he should sit for 3mo? Save the off game?

Is that really what you are telling us should happen?

And why, exactly? For the “good” of Bowey?

SMH.

I know what I saw. I know what the team saw. I know what the coaches and GM saw. Orpik playing a big part in helping the team win a Cup — less than 2.5mo ago. You act like this happened 2.5yrs ago.

I don’t really think you get locker room dynamics. At all.

Let’s just say this. Brooks Orpik WILL play 90-95% of the games he is healthy. That’s my opinion.

We will see who is right. (And by all means, be critical of that decision, and be critical of the guys that just won the whole thing)

IF I am wrong, I will assuredly own it. I’m not going anywhere.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So I your “scenario”, Orpik tells the team he ok not playing, and that he should sit for 3mo? Save the off game?

Is that really what you are telling us should happen?

And why, exactly? For the “good” of Bowey?

SMH.

I know what I saw. I know what the team saw. I know what the coaches and GM saw. Orpik playing a big part in helping the team win a Cup — less than 2.5mo ago. You act like this happened 2.5yrs ago.

I don’t really think you get locker room dynamics. At all.

Let’s just say this. Brooks Orpik WILL play 90-95% of the games he is healthy. That’s my opinion.

We will see who is right. (And by all means, be critical of that decision, and be critical of the guys that just won the whole thing)

IF I am wrong, I will assuredly own it. I’m not going anywhere.
No, you're arguing through some kind of cloud of bloodlust or something. I'm saying that if Orpik is even being moderately outplayed by any other young defenseman, the Capitals shouldn't coddle him early in the season by gifting him a spot in games that don't matter nearly as much. In an ideal world Orpik gets played out of the lineup because he's seriously not very good, and I'm frankly not content with letting 20 playoff games erase 2 years of absolute garbage. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate it, and it doesn't mean Washington won't need it again next May, but Brooks Orpik the player is absolutely not an acceptable regular duty defenseman for the regular season anymore and the last years bear that out.

I'm not sure why it's just Bowey either (whom I'm not at all a fan of), Djoos is the one being squeezed out at the moment and that kid can play. It's got nothing to do with Bowey the individual, and everything to do with a safe opportunity to test young players. You're failing your hockey club if you're not willing to do that just because you won with a guy.

Just after winning the Cup that same player was traded because his play wasn't worth anywhere near what he was making, and came back (with how many offers on the table, exactly?) for, what, 1/4th what he was making? Then the team turned around and paid a pretty big contract based on the intangible value of another player, so they clearly still value things that don't show up on the stat sheet. What's the typical locker room dynamic surrounding that, I wonder?

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
No, you're arguing through some kind of cloud of bloodlust or something. I'm saying that if Orpik is even being moderately outplayed by any other young defenseman, the Capitals shouldn't coddle him early in the season by gifting him a spot in games that don't matter nearly as much. In an ideal world Orpik gets played out of the lineup because he's seriously not very good, and I'm frankly not content with letting 20 playoff games erase 2 years of absolute garbage. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate it, and it doesn't mean Washington won't need it again next May, but Brooks Orpik the player is absolutely not an acceptable regular duty defenseman for the regular season anymore and the last years bear that out.

I'm not sure why it's just Bowey either (whom I'm not at all a fan of), Djoos is the one being squeezed out at the moment and that kid can play. It's got nothing to do with Bowey the individual, and everything to do with a safe opportunity to test young players. You're failing your hockey club if you're not willing to do that just because you won with a guy.

Just after winning the Cup that same player was traded because his play wasn't worth anywhere near what he was making, and came back (with how many offers on the table, exactly?) for, what, 1/4th what he was making? Then the team turned around and paid a pretty big contract based on the intangible value of another player, so they clearly still value things that don't show up on the stat sheet. What's the typical locker room dynamic surrounding that, I wonder?
Bloodlust? Come on man. You’ve been using hyperbole a lot. Not needed.

You said earlier that Orpik should sit, in the event of “equal footing” (or something like that) with a young player. Not outplayed. Even.

Now you tell me it isn’t Bowey, it’s Djoos. I’m not sure what that means. Didn’t Djoos play bottom pair w Orpik, for the last 3 series of the playoffs? They both played?

I’m also lost as to how Orpik has lost his spot in the top 6. Why exactly? Because you complain about his season last year? One in which he played far more minutes per game than he should have? Kempny’s arrival allowed Orpik to slot back to where he should be. Bottom pair. He was terrific there all playoffs. And we now move him out it for (someone), because you don’t like him there due to lack of growth.

Orpik was overpaid, that’s why he was traded. Not because he wasn’t a top 6 player. Many think it was all be design....getting traded, bought out, and then coming back. I think that. Seems you don’t.

My whole point is that it all really doesn’t matter what we think. Reirden will play Orpik if he’s healthy. He just will. Especially to start the season.

And as I said...as he should.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Bloodlust? Come on man. You’ve been using hyperbole a lot. Not needed.

You said earlier that Orpik should sit, in the event of “equal footing” (or something like that) with a young player. Not outplayed. Even.

Now you tell me it isn’t Bowey, it’s Djoos. I’m not sure what that means. Didn’t Djoos play bottom pair w Orpik, for the last 3 series of the playoffs? They both played?

I’m also lost as to how Orpik has lost his spot in the top 6. Why exactly? Because you complain about his season last year? One in which he played far more minutes per game than he should have? Kempny’s arrival allowed Orpik to slot back to where he should be. Bottom pair. He was terrific there all playoffs. And we now move him out it for (someone), because you don’t like him there due to lack of growth.

Orpik was overpaid, that’s why he was traded. Not because he wasn’t a top 6 player. Many think it was all be design....getting traded, bought out, and then coming back. I think that. Seems you don’t.

My whole point is that it all really doesn’t matter what we think. Reirden will play Orpik if he’s healthy. He just will. Especially to start the season.

And as I said...as he should.

You can't seem to respond to a single post without dialing everything to 11, so yeah, bloodlust.

"Even" is what I stand by, personally. I changed that to moderately outplayed to see if you'd budge, but I guess not.

Orpik wasn't regularly playing with Carlson before Kempny was acquired, Djoos was. After a few weeks of juggling where they tried the new acquisitions in the 4 spot with Carlson, Djoos and Bowey were both dropped in favor of Kempny and Jerabek. Djoos comes back in after Jerabek blows it in the playoffs, but now he's playing the right side where Bowey was for the majority of the season. I have no problem with that because they're gearing up for a playoff race, and I'm fully aware of what Orpik can bring to the table there, but those aren't the same personnel decisions I think you should be making in October.

He hasn't "lost" anything, I believe I've already said you'd need camp+ to determine whether any of this matters either way, but he shouldn't be immune to it the way you suggest he is. I've tried really hard to make clear that all I'm asking is that he not be given the veteran romance treatment, but that's all I'm hearing here. Winning a Cup didn't make Mike Babcock's Franzen obsession any less stupid.

What happens when Kempny keeps the last top 4 slot and all it does is force Djoos to the scratch list because Bowey's a natural RD?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Orpik was on ice protecting one goal lead for the dying seconds of stanley cup finals, game 5. Couple months ago. Not bad considering he is a relic who cant skate and should be considered as a liability..

If he has totally lost it during the summer im fine seeing him out of the roster. But it would suprise me. Looking back he just had great playoffs run where he was huge part of our first cup and showed why we got him at the first place.

This time around i wont be a bit worried when he looks ”slow” from time to time while playing regular season game 53 against Oilers.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Most NHL d-men take longer to mature than forwards. Bowey is 23. If Bowey plays another year as a 7, getting maybe 40 or so injury games while Orpil plays out his contract, IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. He's getting 1M per year and will surely be in the lineup in year 2 of his contract, applying what he learns in practice and limited play this year.

I'm pretty sure they've thought about all this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

What I am saying is that Orpik is a defensive tackle. Because we have strong safeties that need ice time, we are going to play one at tackle. Oprik and Bowey do not play the same position. Niether do Djoos and Kempny. I would suggest when Orpik's days are done, MacLellan will add the right defenseman to fill those roles rather than turn the assignments over to a young puck moving defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->