TSN: Caps fire Oats and McPhee freed - Toronto options?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
You mean the guy that traded a potential highly touted Forsberg for a 31 year old duster.... true

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leafs problem has been the lack of an excellent GM and an excellent coach
2 are available right now in McPhee and Laviolette

These guys are proven NHL winners the Leafs hired Shanny to think about things ok enough thinking hire them now before someone else does

watch these 2 guys get hired elsewhere and succeed while the Leafs continue being the Leafs

What a bold move it would be to hire these 2 ... that is not Leafs style sadly ...

Does the slap emoticon not work?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

These guys are proven NHL winners the Leafs hired Shanny to think about things ok enough thinking hire them now before someone else does

watch these 2 guys get hired elsewhere and succeed while the Leafs continue being the Leafs

What a bold move it would be to hire these 2 ... that is not Leafs style sadly ...

:huh: :facepalm:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
This team has had two regular season collapses under two difference coaches and you think the problem is that we don't have an excellent coach? The problem seems to be beyond just a coach and GM. Making just one change in the core personnel could be advantageous to overall team play but as of right now, I don't trust this core.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
McPhee makes playoffs year after year

you cannot win Stanley Cup if dont make the playoffs

Laviolette top contending team year after year including Stanley Cup

some Leafs fans are always so critical of others who MAKE PLAYOFFS year after year while Leafs miss year after year

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McPhee makes playoffs year after year

you cannot win Stanley Cup if dont make the playoffs

Laviolette top contending team year after year including Stanley Cup

some Leafs fans are always so critical of others who MAKE PLAYOFFS year after year while Leafs miss year after year

Your intentions are good in wanting better for our Leafs, but I don't think these are the right choices.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I thought you were proposing bringing back Burke and Wilson.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
you can criticize my choices but they are better than what we have now

I am ok with the Leafs hiring a new coach and new GM as long as they are better than what we have now

if you don't like my choices who would you hire instead and remember your choices must be better than what we have now cause what we have now SUCKS

right now those are the best 2 available that are better than what we have now

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
What? McPhee and Laviolette? Seriously?
That would be my personal nightmare.

laviolette no better than carlyle, i say u go younger with both coach and gm's,,,if u make changes,
mcphee is more in line for a job like shanny's ,overseeing the whole shebang,go younger,or hire bob nicholson.let him bring in his scouting staff and european contacts ,shanny really needs to pick other peoples brains,just to get a consensus of how the majority of good hockey people rate the leafs, i think nonis gets assigned more to capology part of the team,a job he had more under burke,and for this year shanny makes the final decisions,cooler heads wil prevail im thinking
but its a **** show so breaking news could come in a hr :laugh::laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I am ok with the Leafs hiring a new coach and new GM as long as they are better than what we have now

if you don't like my choices who would you hire instead and remember your choices must be better than what we have now cause what we have now SUCKS

Feaster
Trotz

I'm okay with that.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

GM: Ron Hextall

Coaches: Boucher, Trotz, Hunter, Dineen, Stevens, Blashill

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Feaster
Trotz

I'm okay with that.

oh god, not feaster. awful GM. almost ended up not getting o'rielly cause he was playing in europe and had to pass through waivers. feaster is lucky that colorado chose to match the offer cause if not, flames would have lost their 1st pick and lost o'rielly on waivers. can't have a dumbass for a GM.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
GM: Ron Hextall

Coaches: Boucher, Trotz, Hunter, Dineen, Stevens, Blashill

I'd be fine with any of those, minus Hunter and Stevens, but wouldn't be overly upset either.

Hextall would have been the new GM in Philly but now that they made the playoffs (and actually look decent), I doubt Holmgren is gone, so perhaps Hextall will move. Plus, Leiweke was in LA when Hextall was there too, so there's a connection.

With that said, I think Nonis stays.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
McPhee has drafted 3 of the top 19 prospects no other team has more than 2 in top 19 (This is despite not drafting high year after year see handicap system below)

LEAFS dont have even 1 top prospect in top 50

Capitals are tied for 1st in terms of player picks (with handicap system) and 16 (without handicap)

LEAFS are ranked 28th with handicap system and 29th overall that is SHAMEFULLY BAD

tell me how it would suck to have McPhee as a GM again?
this guy brings in and develops talent at the best pace in the NHL

--- from The Hockey News

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
New guy may want him to improve on his -35. :D

Leafs need a new coach that can turn Leafs poor defensive players around as well, so Oates wouldn't be the answer as cap +/- players suggest.

Leafs finished below the Cap in the standings and below them in goals against 256 (Tor) verses 240 (WAS).

So Oates team like results would be an improvement on what we currently produce but not good enough.

Ovechkin's & co. poor defensive play got his GM and coach fired and Kessel & co. already got 1 set of Gm\Coach combo fired and working on the second set otherwise we wouldn't be discussing new Leaf GM and coaching options.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McPhee has drafted 3 of the top 19 prospects no other team has more than 2 in top 19 (This is despite not drafting high year after year see handicap system below)

LEAFS dont have even 1 top prospect in top 50

Capitals are tied for 1st in terms of player picks (with handicap system) and 16 (without handicap)

LEAFS are ranked 28th with handicap system and 29th overall that is SHAMEFULLY BAD

tell me how it would suck to have McPhee as a GM again?
this guy brings in and develops talent at the best pace in the NHL

--- from The Hockey News

A team that has missed the playoffs in 8 of the last 9 years should have a far better prospect system then on that has missed it only 1 during that same time.

No argument there.

However Rielly would be in the top 50 in he hadn't made the Leafs.

McPhee is >>>> Leafs GMs during this time but is it good enough is the question as the Caps teams haven't had a lot of playoff success?.

McPhee was fired because in the past 6 years he made the playoffs however 3 X 1st round losses and 3 X 2nd round losses before missing this year was enough to get him fired. If he repeated that same success here I wouldn't be satisfied with the result, but it would certainly be a vast improvement both Leaf and prospect system results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad