TSN: Caps fire Oats and McPhee freed - Toronto options?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Text Size

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Capitals have fired coach Adam Oates and will not renew the contract of general manager George McPhee after failing to make the NHL playoffs for the first time since 2007.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450491

Here is what was said about the Caps just before the firings.

Craig Custance of ESPN: (chat) When asked about his suggestion for the Capitals to trade Mike Green despite the fact that he might not be an attractive package due to declining play, contract and injury history … “No, they definitely wouldn’t be maxing out his value. But something has to change there in DC. You can’t move OV, you shouldn’t move Backstrom. You can’t keep bringing back the same core over and over and expect different results.â€

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
What's that have to do with Toronto? :laugh:

Hopefully none of Washington's rejects find their way over here.

Wouldn't want McPhee, but I wouldn't rule out Oats. He seems like a smart guy who could learn from his mistakes. if he even made any. They could just be a non playoff team

TheScruffington

Apr 17, 2014

Kadri, Rielly and a 1st for Ovechkin.

In all honesty I don't follow the Caps very much, but the one trade I know about was the Erat for Filip Forsberg deal. That was absolutely brutal. The Caps would really benefit from getting rid of a guy who would make a trade like that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I imagine Cap fans are happy, at least about McPhee

Playoffs 6 straight years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/washington-capitals-8871.html

Didn't make it out of 2nd. round.

Dave Nonis:
Nonis replaced Brian Burke as the Vancouver Canucks' general manager in 2004. At 37 years old, he was the youngest general manager in team history. Prior to being GM for the Canucks, he spent six years working closely with Burke as senior vice-president and director of hockey operations for the franchise. In three seasons as general manager, his most significant transaction was trading for superstar goaltender Roberto Luongo from the Florida Panthers at the conclusion of his first season as GM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Nonis#Executive_career

Upon the completion of the 2007–08 season, the Canucks missed the playoffs for the second time in three seasons; subsequently, on April 14, 2008, Nonis was relieved of his duties as general manager of the Canucks.[1]

Kesler, Sedins - Burke

Does anyone have a lot of confidence in the Leafs equivalent?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

In all honesty I don't follow the Caps very much, but the one trade I know about was the Erat for Filip Forsberg deal. That was absolutely brutal. The Caps would really benefit from getting rid of a guy who would make a trade like that.

Equivalent trade for the Leafs would have been Finn+2nd. for Clarkson.

So I guess the Clarkson deal (UFA) could have been worse.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Equivalent trade for the Leafs would have been Finn+2nd. for Clarkson.

So I guess the Clarkson deal (UFA) could have been worse.

The saving grace on Clarkson is that it was nothing but money.

Durkin67

I'd be absolutely fine with Oates coming this way. Hall of gamer, tons of obvious cred, and he would demand a kind of work ethic required of a championship team. Part of the problem as I see it is a disconnect between players and management/coaching staff. Appointing recently active NHL veterans to oversee the return to respectability this organization needs is an obvious step forward.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be absolutely fine with Oates coming this way. Hall of gamer, tons of obvious cred, and he would demand a kind of work ethic required of a championship team. Part of the problem as I see it is a disconnect between players and management/coaching staff. Appointing recently active NHL veterans to oversee the return to respectability this organization needs is an obvious step forward.

My post vanished asking about the relevance, not sure why, anyway is this it? Oates to be the Coach?

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

Absolutely not. I'm so glad there is a cap in term now. That's a deal I'd have a hard time taking for free.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Lots of Leafs' news eh?

What does the Around the League thread have to do with an unemployed Leafs' team?

I guess the Caps have a higher standard than some teams.

So changing management does that mean they won't be changing players?

Penner and Grabovski their only UFA forwards. http://capgeek.com/capitals

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The one thing Carlyle did a great job at was with Kessel defensively. He seemed to make Kessel recognize there was another end of the ice, and that he needs to think of that end too.

I wonder if he could do something similar to Ovie

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The one thing Carlyle did a great job at was with Kessel defensively. He seemed to make Kessel recognize there was another end of the ice, and that he needs to think of that end too.

In Washington? Or are you suggesting to keep RC and trade for Ovie?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Ovie is a lost cause though I would take him on for Dion and Lupul.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I'm sure Grabo would just love that.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Boudreau, Hunter and now Oates. How many times can you change the coach until you realize it isn't the coaches at all. Letting go of Boudreau was their biggest mistake.

lets hope nashville realizes this about trotz and we capitalize by hiring him and enduring the success similar to what the ducks are having with boudreau. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad