TSN: Caps fire Oats and McPhee freed - Toronto options?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Do you think that's why Hunter said see ya!

No question about it. There was some debate regarding who would Leaf fans rather have, Ovy or Kessel. Ovechkin is one of the best players in the game and will likely make the hall of fame, yet when looking at what they won, and the constant turn over of coaches; the truth is clear. That's the biggest challenge some posters have here, apparently skill and talent are all that matters.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That 2 wk assessment period that Shanny talked about is over as of today
Whether that means anything or not

Nonis is in Finland, or at least was, scouting the U-18's. They said once he's back, we'll hear more on personel changes probably.

Either way, it's a looooong off-season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nonis is in Finland, or at least was, scouting the U-18's. They said once he's back, we'll hear more on personel changes probably.

Either way, it's a looooong off-season.

Well there is still some good playoff hockey going on now. I'm mean it's not night fishing but some damn good games. :) MacKinnon is a beast. I hate you Colorado.

Tyler Biggs*

Oates will be a quality assistant coach somewhere.

The Leafs should get Oates as an assistant.

Thoughts?

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
No question about it. There was some debate regarding who would Leaf fans rather have, Ovy or Kessel. Ovechkin is one of the best players in the game and will likely make the hall of fame, yet when looking at what they won, and the constant turn over of coaches; the truth is clear. That's the biggest challenge some posters have here, apparently skill and talent are all that matters.

Washington's problems go far beyond Ovechkin's poor defensive play...Do you think Washington would be a better team with Kessel instead of Ovy?

The team sucks. Ovechkin's play in his own end or lack of leadership is definitely there but hockey is too much of a team game to just put the blame on him...Their goalies are wildcards, the have no semblance of a defensive system, and McPhee and Oates were clearly not on the same page. I mean McPhee goes out and trades Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat and then Oates doesn't even use Erat. You would think that's something a coach and GM would talk about. Same thing happened with Penner. Getting McPhee out was long overdue, and with proper management and coaching this team could become a contender again with Ovechkin and Backstrom at the center of the core.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
Excellent GM & Excellent coach

Leafs problem has been the lack of an excellent GM and an excellent coach
2 are available right now in McPhee and Laviolette

These guys are proven NHL winners the Leafs hired Shanny to think about things ok enough thinking hire them now before someone else does

watch these 2 guys get hired elsewhere and succeed while the Leafs continue being the Leafs

What a bold move it would be to hire these 2 ... that is not Leafs style sadly ...

Last edited:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Leafs problem has been the lack of an excellent GM and an excellent coach
2 are available right now in McPhee and Laviolette

These guys are proven NHL winners the Leafs hired Shanny to think about things ok enough thinking hire them now before someone else does

watch these 2 guys get hired elsewhere and succeed while the Leafs continue being the Leafs

What a bold move it would be to hire these 2 ... that is not Leafs style sadly ...

Remind me what McPhee has won in his life.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
As someone who cheers for a team in the same division as the Leafs, I really really hope they do sign McPhee.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think the last thing we need is another recycled coach.

I'm fine with less NHL experience if it's a true fresh voice that makes a real impact (like Roy).

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Mcphee is a great GM?

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
The guy who traded Forsberg for one goal Erat is an excellent GM? :laugh:

The way that trade worked out is actually quite fascinating!

The basis of all of this hooplah was Varlamov for basically the 11th overall. Which was used to take Forsberg. Who he moved for Erat. He then moved Erat for Klesla and a lower level prospect out of Phoenix. Klesla is gone.

So, basically, he moved a current Vezina and potential Hart Candidate for essentially nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad