GDT: Caps @ Bruins, 6:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Can anyone point to a goal caused by Sprong's defensive deficiencies? I'm genuinely asking.

Reactions: Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nobody panic, this is an OLD TWEET. It's from what I think was the peak of playoff form from this team, about 3 weeks ago vs NYI:

upload_2021-5-21_13-7-29.png

Ok, so do THAT, just with Ovechkin. Drop Sprong to Sheary's spot and scratch Sheary. Sit Schultz for TVR.

Profit.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Our puck retrieval in the top 6 sucks right now. Kuzy, Nick and Ovie do absolutely nothing on retrieval. Mantha has to do more than he's used to. Wilson is good at it, and so is Oshie - but he seems compromised at the moment. Sprong is not a puck retriever - he's a puck receiver like Ovie. There's got to be better puck retrieval in the top 6, or we're not going to be successful

Reactions: longtime lurker

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nobody panic, this is an OLD TWEET. It's from what I think was the peak of playoff form from this team, about 3 weeks ago vs NYI:

View attachment 436907

Ok, so do THAT, just with Ovechkin. Drop Sprong to Sheary's spot and scratch Sheary. Sit Schultz for TVR.

Profit.

Care to venture an explanation why Laviolette wouldn't do that?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Care to venture an explanation why Laviolette wouldn't do that?

I'm not Lavi so I don't know. He loves Sheary and I can see why. But this is my opinion not Lavi's.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Can anyone point to a goal caused by Sprong's defensive deficiencies? I'm genuinely asking.

He had 1 failed D clearance in the first half of the regular season that directly resulted goal against. That’s it. He was even the best forward in +/- over the regular season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Play to win the game. Don't play the guys you think will make the fewest mistakes. If you play not to lose you will likely lose... this was my biggest issue with Trotz during the playoffs and I don't want to see Lavi go down that same path. Playing to achieve coin flip hockey is why we are far and away the leader in OT playoff games the past decade.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He had 1 failed D clearance in the first half of the regular season that directly resulted goal against. That’s it. He was even the best forward in +/- over the regular season.

Apparantly those are not the details of his game that Lavy wants cleaned up. Its just a guess but hear me/read me out. Lavy's game relies on a 5 man attack and offense from the defense. For that to work the forwards have to provide the defense. I would suggest that Sprong is not reliable in those reads and interactions. Thats just a guess

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Play to win the game. Don't play the guys you think will make the fewest mistakes. If you play not to lose you will likely lose... this was my biggest issue with Trotz during the playoffs and I don't want to see Lavi go down that same path. Playing to achieve coin flip hockey is why we are far and away the leader in OT playoff games the past decade.
The only answer I have is that he knows our players are not 100% and that if we open it up we will get demolished. He doesn’t trust our goaltending to steal games for us so I’m thinking he wants low scoring and tight checking hockey.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

And the difference between dont lose first and go for it hockey is 10 instead of 73?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The only answer I have is that he knows our players are not 100% and that if we open it up we will get demolished. He doesn’t trust our goaltending to steal games for us so I’m thinking he wants low scoring and tight checking hockey.
I disagree. We have played a certain way all season long and changing it now does more harm than good.

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
And the difference between dont lose first and go for it hockey is 10 instead of 73?

What has Sheary done to warrant a jersey so far in the playoffs? He's no Selke candidate and he isn't bringing anything offensively, G3 was particularly bad for him.

8-92-43
39-19-10
17-20-77
62-26-21

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Being down 2-1 in the first round of the playoffs with all the games going to overtime… I think we’ve been here before and we know how it ended

Reactions: kicksavedave

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Over simplifying things but yes, playing the guy who has one of the best shots on the team, creates scoring chances better than most people on the team, and had the third highest goals per game rate on the team -- which included zero PP time -- is one way to play don't lose hockey. Scratching him for a guy who has scored two total NHL goals since 2018 and who offers nothing offensively because he may help more defensively is the definition of a don't-lose move. Don't see why that's a controversial point.

Another way is to play the guys more who deserve to play more and not based on how much they make.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Over simplifying things but yes, playing the guy who has one of the best shots on the team, creates scoring chances better than most people on the team, and had the third highest goals per game rate on the team -- which included zero PP time -- is one way to play don't lose hockey. Scratching him for a guy who has scored two total NHL goals since 2018 and who offers nothing offensively because he may help more defensively is the definition of a don't-lose move. Don't see why that's a controversial point.

Another way is to play the guys more who deserve to play more and not based on how much they make.

Flip that coin Dale Hunter. I’m feeling a heads tonight anyway, we are good to go.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I guess, I can agree with this. Dress Sprong and just keep him on the bench until a spot opens up. Carr didnt play a lot more

Reactions: HTFN

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I guess, I can agree with this. Dress Sprong and just keep him on the bench until a spot opens up. Carr didnt play a lot more
Exactly. Carr played only 10:30 in a double OT game. The next lowest forward was Hathaway at 16:30. Our team looks old and tired and he is shortening the bench. Don’t dress a guy if you aren’t going to play him. Sprong can contribute much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad