GDT: Caps @ Blues 11/15/14 8PM EST

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
for me, Green, Carlson, Brouwer, Chimera, Fehr, Mojo and both keepers can all go. Maybe even a couple more if we're having a real fire sale.

in fact, the only guys I'd definitely want to keep are Backstrom, Alzner and the young guys showing promise like Bura and Wilson...

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
His mom hasn't been here to cheer him on.

Ovi's lack of finishing checks could either be due to Trotz expecting him to get back on defensive coverage quicker and going to finish a check might take him out of a play, or he could just be aging and feeling the lumps more so he's shying away from unnecessary physicality. Could be a third thing, who knows.

Why is it always a systematic or age thing? He's not that old. How 'bout effort? Just because he's playing well on D doesn't mean he's giving it all on O. He's way too stagnant in the offensive zone. He doesn't fight along the boards. He just floats around the dots waiting for a pass that's not coming. He needs to go to the net or help out along the boards. Enough with the standing around. I thought Trotz was going to get rid of it but it appears to still be there.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
One thing for certain we surmise from the last couple of weeks: no way in h*ll is this a playoff team.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Can't understand trading Carlson tbh. Our roster as currently constructed doesn't provide any significant chance to lose Carlson.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
One thing for certain we surmise from the last couple of weeks: no way in h*ll is this a playoff team.

I don't think it's that far off right now. They're playing like crap. It's not like the talent isn't there. Their goaltending is at best inconsistent. That's a dagger right now.

32nd and 45th in save %. This team goes nowhere with atrocious play like that.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
in fact, the only guys I'd definitely want to keep are Backstrom, Alzner and the young guys showing promise like Bura and Wilson...
Mr. Softy eh? Meh. The best thing about him is his relatively cheap contract. Relatively.

I'd still keep Carlson. 19 depending on the market, 65, 43 and...that's about it.

It's often said the NHL isn't a development league and they're sort of finding that out with the ongoing "center" experiment. Not that their failures are anywhere close to on that alone--****** puck movement seems to be at the top of the list--but it doesn't help. They surprisingly held their own in the dot tonight at least. It's just like this organization to be so inept at addressing a particular position that they have to load up a young player outside their comfort level on a regular basis. That's happened so often over the years and good organizations manage to avoid that far more regularly.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
This is just a terrible team. Just flat out dominated. I think it's time to trade both Ovechkin and Backstrom and build from scratch. I am tired of seeing their faces. If we can land the top 2 picks, we should try to do so. That, my friends, would be a game changer.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
This is just a terrible team. Just flat out dominated. I think it's time to trade both Ovechkin and Backstrom and build from scratch. I am tired of seeing their faces. If we can land the top 2 picks, we should try to do so. That, my friends, would be a game changer.

I'd support trading Ovy to be honest so long as we got good value for him, but there's about as much chance of that happening as kate middleton climbing in my bed tonight.

I'd not trade backstrom

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Trade Ovechkin? Nonsense. If you do that, you might as well mail in the next 5-7 seasons. Leonsis will never do that unless forced.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013

I'd keep Nicky. I'd be fine with trading Ovi and anyone else over 25 years of age.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
Okay, I am fine with Backstrom more than Ovechkin, as I believe he plays a more puck possession style of game, which is more an NHL style. But Ovechkin needs to go before it's too late. He is just a terrible possession guy. Now, Corsi is supposed to correlate with possession. It is pretty much a guarantee that it does not in Ovechkin's case. He is a high volume shooter who is bad at possession. Just watch what he does. A slight hit will make him cough the puck. What's the point of scoring 50 goals if the other team is going to score more goals against that line? He is done.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Ovi is just so frustrating. His movement when players around him have the puck is so unintelligent, the amount of time he just runs in a straight line in front of the puck carrier before realizing he's about to go offside and checking himself, instead of peeling away and finding space.... the puck more and more just seems to bounce off him when passed to him, unless he's winding up for a 1 timer.. or he tries to carry it past 2 guys without using any real trickery and just gets it poke checked away.. his passing game is as poor as always... he still floats around when too much in the d-zone... you feel like just grabbing him and shaking him a lot of the time

as good a player as he is, he could be so much better.. it's a crying shame.. he's half the player he was when he first burst on the scene and it makes me sad.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Mr. Softy eh? Meh. The best thing about him is his relatively cheap contract. Relatively.

I'd still keep Carlson. 19 depending on the market, 65, 43 and...that's about it.

It's often said the NHL isn't a development league and they're sort of finding that out with the ongoing "center" experiment. Not that their failures are anywhere close to on that alone--****** puck movement seems to be at the top of the list--but it doesn't help. They surprisingly held their own in the dot tonight at least. It's just like this organization to be so inept at addressing a particular position that they have to load up a young player outside their comfort level on a regular basis. That's happened so often over the years and good organizations manage to avoid that far more regularly.

We're pretty close in agreement regarding the current roster, though I'd include 88 he's been a pleasant surprise. But as far as the forwards go, I think you nailed it with 19, 65 and 43 as the only ones I'd consider untouchable.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
It's just like this organization to be so inept at addressing a particular position that they have to load up a young player outside their comfort level on a regular basis. That's happened so often over the years and good organizations manage to avoid that far more regularly.

I think were forced to do so with bad contracts. we have a lot of money spread around on guys who aren't doing much at the moment.. Laich, Green, Orpik, Nisk, Brouwer, Ovie, Nicky.. LAICH.. :cry:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
A question for the trade OV group. Would you let him walk for nothing at the end of the season? Or keep him the term of the contract?

gogensgo

Mar 13, 2011
Ovi is just so frustrating. His movement when players around him have the puck is so unintelligent, the amount of time he just runs in a straight line in front of the puck carrier before realizing he's about to go offside and checking himself, instead of peeling away and finding space.... the puck more and more just seems to bounce off him when passed to him, unless he's winding up for a 1 timer.. or he tries to carry it past 2 guys without using any real trickery and just gets it poke checked away.. his passing game is as poor as always... he still floats around when too much in the d-zone... you feel like just grabbing him and shaking him a lot of the time

as good a player as he is, he could be so much better.. it's a crying shame.. he's half the player he was when he first burst on the scene and it makes me sad.

And that is why no team would ever trade for him other than maybe a team in desperate need to reaching the cap and selling tickets and jerseys. Well, that and the Gretzky/Pocklington factor which is why Ted wouldn't green light a trade.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
Here is another issue I see. If you draft a winger, don't expect him to play Center. Play him at his natural possession. I'm talking about Burakovsky and Kuznetsov. The Center position should be addressed, but not this year. Let the two young guys develop where they are comfortable.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Shocking that there's overreaction to a loss to one of the best teams in the league on the road on the second game of a back-to-back.

Did people miss the tidbit about Hitchcock saying he was glad to face the Caps now, while they're still in transition, and not a month from now?

Still not even a quarter of the way through the season.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
A question for the trade OV group. Would you let him walk for nothing at the end of the season? Or keep him the term of the contract?

He will be valuable for many teams out there. I think we will get a good return. He has been with us for what now, 10 years? He hasn't brought the Stanley Cup home for that long. When is it time to move on?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Shocking that there's overreaction to a loss to one of the best teams in the league on the road on the second game of a back-to-back.

Did people miss the tidbit about Hitchcock saying he was glad to face the Caps now, while they're still in transition, and not a month from now?

Still not even a quarter of the way through the season.
:laugh:

This board cries more tonight than my 1 month old daughter has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad