GDT: Caps @ Blues 11/15/14 8PM EST

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't understand the hate for Nicky and Ovi. I wish they would score more but overall they have played well.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan in peace.

The Capitals looked pretty tired, and its clear they aren't playing Trotz hockey instinctively yet. I've seen a lot of Trotz coached teams, and they're very hard to play against. I think it was a good hire, and its going to pay dividends.

Wilson was fun to watch. He really energized the team for a while.

Good luck on the season. My prediction is that the Capitals can make a second half push for a playoff spot once they have more time with Trotz. Hopefully Holtby will regain his form.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
Blues fan in peace.

The Capitals looked pretty tired, and its clear they aren't playing Trotz hockey instinctively yet. I've seen a lot of Trotz coached teams, and they're very hard to play against. I think it was a good hire, and its going to pay dividends.

Wilson was fun to watch. He really energized the team for a while.

Good luck on the season. My prediction is that the Capitals can make a second half push for a playoff spot once they have more time with Trotz. Hopefully Holtby will regain his form.
thanks 2 minute

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
It took 20 to 30 games for the team to rally under Oates' terrible system. I'd say the same for a real system might be even a bit quick.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The only players who seem to give a damn this year are Ovechkin, Wilson & Backstrom.

that doesn't make a lot of sense. Bura doesn't give a damn? He's a teenage rookie on an nhl team. you think he is coasting already? Ward has how many goals? coasting? You can blame contract year for Johansson's play if you want but doesn't give a damn doesn't come close with him.

come on.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
that doesn't make a lot of sense. Bura doesn't give a damn? He's a teenage rookie on an nhl team. you think he is coasting already? Ward has how many goals? coasting? You can blame contract year for Johansson's play if you want but doesn't give a damn doesn't come close with him.

come on.

I don't think it's about caring or wanting to win. I think it's about pushing through to a higher level. Remember when Ovie used to be absolutely gasping for air after every shift? How many guys on the team are doubled over from exertion and trying to get it together for the next shift? Are they really giving as much as they can, or "just enough"?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The Blues are in different class than the Caps. They contendas. We pretendas.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't think it's about caring or wanting to win. I think it's about pushing through to a higher level. Remember when Ovie used to be absolutely gasping for air after every shift? How many guys on the team are doubled over from exertion and trying to get it together for the next shift? Are they really giving as much as they can, or "just enough"?

They don't come anywhere near their limits, this is seen when they try to push the tempo late in trailing games.

MyCapsCap

Apr 19, 2014
GMGM said if we had better goaltending = 10 more games won...I feel the same way about this season and it's only 16 games in

You could also say "If we had 9 more Potatoes on the team then we would have 10 Potatoes." That still wont happen though. That would be a scary team and be banned by he NHL.

Halpysback*

Their main problem IMO is that they're not forcing enough skilled wingers to play center. Next game they need to start the process of converting Ovechkin to center. If it works we would have a big hart hitting C who is half David Backes half Jeff Carter. Seriously how have we not thought of this before? Can you imagine a Backstrom-Burakovsky-Ovechkin-Kuznetsov center depth? Can't have too much depth at center, no siree bob.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Their main problem IMO is that they're not forcing enough skilled wingers to play center. Next game they need to start the process of converting Ovechkin to center. If it works we would have a big hart hitting C who is half David Backes half Jeff Carter. Seriously how have we not thought of this before? Can you imagine a Backstrom-Burakovsky-Ovechkin-Kuznetsov center depth? Can't have too much depth at center, no siree bob.

Why not develop Holtby at center?

The goalie thing isn't really working out for him, but his saucer passes are usually pretty good. He'd give us some decent size up the middle too.

We could dress 13 forwards just so we can have five centers and prove we have the deepest center corps in the league. Backstrom-Burakovsky-Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Holtby.

Halpysback*

The goalie thing isn't really working out for him, but his saucer passes are usually pretty good. He'd give us some decent size up the middle too.

We could dress 13 forwards just so we can have five centers and prove we have the deepest center corps in the league. Backstrom-Burakovsky-Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Holtby.

Canadian players don't need to be developed at center because god made them fine just the way they are, except Eric Fehr.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska

lol :laugh:

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
Let's say that Holtby does pull it together. The caps win five straight...Does the make-up of the team radically change? I believe it would...I think the caps put together a very good team (minus Kuzzy on the fourth line, Burra a center, and no skilled winger opposite Ovi) The problem with this scenario, is that we've been waiting for two years for Holtby to pull it together. Can't trade him, don't want to miss out on him getting good in the next couple years? fine me neither, put him in a back up role and lets get a #1

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This was just one of the games where it was obvious that we don't stand a chance. Blues are arguably playing like the best team in the NHL and (last 2 seasons aside) we've had terrible success in their building. Oh and then you factor in that it was the 2nd night of back-to-back games for us while they were fresh.

We'll face them again in the Super Bowl -sunday and i think that's the clear indicator that how far Trotz has took this team. If we get dominated again, i'm not sure i have much faith in having success in the playoffs either.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I see all these complaints about wingers playing center. hasn't burakovsky been successful?

yes, yes he has. I don't think anyone can argue this, he's actually made the 2nd line decent along with mojo this year. I think most of the complaining really boils down to 92 as C. He needs to be on the wing, seems like another mojo experiment going wrong forcing him to be a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad