Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I believe in Adam Oates

tumblr_lq14k6WQjF1qesy9ao1_400.jpg

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
All Caps fans saw the Caps dominate? That sounds about right:sarcasm:

I cant look at the main baord thread, as A: I was banned, and B: its all Caps/Rags homers.

I am not going to fight with you. Caps played a lot better in games 1 and 2. We lost game 3 because we didnt play well. If you believe otherwise, then thats fine.

That said,

Fire George

Rid,

You know how Cap fans are: too high when things go well... too low when they're not.

We saw the same problems re-emerge last game that hampered us last winter: inconsistent play by AO, and some pretty poor play by the D.

Both goalies were each team's best player, hence the score. But if either goalie is only 'good'... the other team wins by 2-3 goals.

So yes, I don't see that as domination. I did see some individual line domination on some shifts, but on whole, your analysis is closer to the mark.

AND... no disrespect to others here: but that's the truth of it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Any else finding it odd that we do not have any lines yet posted?

Oh, and from the players don't lie diary

Adam Vingan ‏@AdamVingan 23m
Brooks Laich just said that he had neither a sports hernia nor sports hernia surgery. #Caps
Expand Reply Retweet

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 1h
Erskine said he wasn’t hurt by Callahan hit in Gm3, he missed time w/ skate problem. Oates said Erskine wasn’t feeling well, got tested.

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Rid,

You know how Cap fans are: too high when things go well... too low when they're not.

We saw the same problems re-emerge last game that hampered us last winter: inconsistent play by AO, and some pretty poor play by the D.

Both goalies were each team's best player, hence the score. But if either goalie is only 'good'... the other team wins by 2-3 goals.

So yes, I don't see that as domination. I did see some individual line domination on some shifts, but on whole, your analysis is closer to the mark.

The last 10 minutes of the third period were absolute dog S. They looked lazy and tired. I understand Ribs wanting to make the play with that extra pass, but how many times does a centering pass need to be picked off until we stop trying to go one step further and just put the puck on the net low hoping for a rebound?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Rid,

Batman and Robin,

Let me hit you with some knowledge! Even Rangers bloggers, who are biased toward their team, saw it:

Of course, for all the problems that were rectified in Game Three, a disturbing new one arose. The Rangers, who were among the league’s best teams at even strength this season, were completely dominated five-on-five by Washington at Madison Square Garden. That wasn’t the case through the first two games of the series, but it’s a trend that certainly can’t continue.

http://www.blueseatblogs.com/2013/05/07/some-problems-solved-in-game-three-but-a-big-new-one-emerges/

So lets see...advanced metrics suggested we dominated, most posters believe that based on what they saw, Ovechkin himself said we dominated and Rangers blogger concedes this.

However...a few posters, who indeed have an axe to grind with McPhee, saw something completely different.

Any else finding it odd that we do not have any lines yet posted?

Oh, and from the players don't lie diary

Caps are full of misinformation aren't they? I think they do that on purpose to mess with everyone.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
"That wasn’t the case through the first two games of the series"

BS. That was the case in game 2 as well.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
"That wasn’t the case through the first two games of the series"

BS. That was the case in game 2 as well.

Ofcourse. Biased Rangers blogger is going to be biased.

However...that just suggests we dominated EVEN MORE in game 3 than in the other 2. BTCG and Ridley didn't see it that way.

I'm sure it has absolutely zero to do with their disdain for McPhee.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Still no lines/pairs.... The Brooks Laich was on the ice story isn't quite enough to make ALL the bloggers and twerpers be so neglect in their duties, is it. All day dreaming of flowers butterflies and his ass crack as he changes a tire.

Or, maybe it is assumed that (even after a loss) there will be no changes in the lines or lineup, so much so that it is not even with mentioning. Only, assumption is the mother of all fackups.

On a normal day, we have them in the morning, right?

I smell e Rat

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
On an unrelated note:

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 26m
Penguins announce ex-#Caps goaltender Tomas Vokoun starts Game 5 vs. #Isles.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Still no lines/pairs.... The Brooks Laich was on the ice story isn't quite enough to make ALL the bloggers and twerpers be so neglect in their duties, is it. All day dreaming of flowers butterflies and his ass crack as he changes a tire.

Or, maybe it is assumed that (even after a loss) there will be no changes in the lines or lineup, so much so that it is not even with mentioning. Only, assumption is the mother of all fackups.

On a normal day, we have them in the morning, right?

I smell e Rat

I could see a change in the lineup if we lost in a bad way, came out uninspired, lacked any ability to make passes, no cohesion etc..

But none of that happened last game. In fact I contend that we played progressively better in each game.

Penalties killed us last game. Refs don't normally call a game like that no matter how justified some of those calls were. That led to the fatigue we saw in the latter stages of the 3rd period.

Chances that happens twice in a row? I wouldn't imagine it to be the case.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Is anyone else feeling the Ovechtrick tonight?

I could see a change in the lineup if we lost in a bad way, came out uninspired, lacked any ability to make passes, no cohesion etc..

But none of that happened last game. In fact I contend that we played progressively better in each game.

to be honest this is what scares me. We're having to react on the fly in these games, because our opening game plan has been so effective. It's like being up pretty big at halftime of a football game and everything you do is working...what do you say? Keep it up?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Changing lines right now would be overreacting. These lines have worked well for a very long time. It takes a while to develop chemistry. We lost one game. By a goal. After having been on the PK 6 times in the first 2 periods. Stay the course for now.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Is anyone else feeling the Ovechtrick tonight?

to be honest this is what scares me. We're having to react on the fly in these games, because our opening game plan has been so effective. It's like being up pretty big at halftime of a football game and everything you do is working...what do you say? Keep it up?

Any coach can always find areas to improve or adjust. When you're up big, focus on improving the details.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Penalties killed us last game. Refs don't normally call a game like that no matter how justified some of those calls were. That led to the fatigue we saw in the latter stages of the 3rd period.

Chances that happens twice in a row? I wouldn't imagine it to be the case.

I am fairly certain that every single pregame practice this year has included tweets about the lines.

Probably just an oversight or like i said, its assumed all know there cannot and will not be any changes. And thus, seeing none, didn't bother mentioning it as they all chased after #1 heartthrob ole blue eyes, whose return touched off a media flash mob

BJwcD1nCIAELGOb.jpg:large

Whats your _____ count??

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Changing lines right now would be overreacting. These lines have worked well for a very long time. It takes a while to develop chemistry. We lost one game. By a goal. After having been on the PK 6 times in the first 2 periods. Stay the course for now.

I approve of this message.

But what RH is saying isn't completely lost on me. At what point do you make a change? Is it after a bad game? 2 bad games? An average game? A good game where you don't produce? How about after a bad period or a particulary bad shift? How about after 10 bad games?

Where do you draw the line?

Not sure but my instincts tell me the line hasn't been reached just yet and in fact isn't close to being reached based on the results of last game.

Fehr has been one of our best forwards and Ward one of the worst. I don't see logic in swapping their positions.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
But what RH is saying isn't completely lost on me. At what point do you make a change? Is it after a bad game? 2 bad games? An average game? A good game where you don't produce? How about after a bad period or a particulary bad shift? How about after 10 bad games?

Where do you draw the line?

I'd make a change if we were looking inept offensively. Torts made a change for game 3 after having scored all of 2 goals in the first two games.

For the Caps, every line has looked good though. Every player has looked good. What would changing lines right now achieve? It needs to be done for a reason, and that reason is if we weren't scoring. Which isn't the case at all.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Torts made 2 or 3 lineup changes for game 2. Sure they lost, but they only lost by one goal. Perhaps an improvement after losing 3-1. More changes were made for game 3.

Torts the old SOB did not wait to lose multiple games to make changes.

I prefer Oates to be proactive, and not reactive. But old hockey folks are so superstitious about doing anything different, I wonder if it clouds their best judgement at times.

Not saying Oates is like that of course, and it has only been 1 loss.

I just do not want him to wait until game 7 and try something that he has not tried all year.

Even though all have scored, I expect our top line to produce goals working together as a line and I have yet to see quality chances consistently.

Rat Back O

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Torts made 2 or 3 lineup changes for game 2. Sure they lost, but they only lost by one goal. Perhaps an improvement after losing 3-1. More changes were made for game 3.

Torts the old SOB did not wait to lose multiple games to make changes.

I prefer Oates to be proactive, and not reactive. But old hockey folks are so superstitious about doing anything different, I wonder if it clouds their best judgement at times.

Not saying Oates is like that of course, and it has only been 1 loss.

I just do not want him to wait until game 7 and try something that he has not tried all year.

Even though all have scored, I expect our top line to produce goals working together as a line and I have yet to see quality chances consistently.

Rat Back O
I know the team has been burned in the past by stubborn coaches, but you are Chicken Little'ing the crap out of this.

Proactive would be swapping ineffective guys out of the lineup or moving a guy up a line who has been playing well over a guy who has been struggling even though the team is winning.

To me, what you are proposing is overreactive. The time to try out brand new lines is in a meaningless regular season game. Bruce had ample chances to do that in the President's Trophy days but chose not to. Oates wasn't afforded that opportunity given the team's terrible start. I can't fault him for standing pat in a very important Game 4 on the road considering the strong play of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad