GDT: Caps at Rangers Game 4 7:30 at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
the problem with pointing the "you see what you want to see finger" is that there are 3 or 4(depending on how you point) of those same "see what you want to see fingers" pointed right back at you.

what you see backs up your own pov.

and....you know that george is not going to be fired as it stands right today. if they lose this series, he isnt going to be fired. its interesting to set up these tests that if failed mean firing, but mcphee isnt going to be fired.

Really, you believe that another 1st round flop and Leonsis just continues to foster the atmosphere of postseason failure at the franchise level?

You might be right, but I'd hope that would signal the end. If Leonsis' goal is to win the Cup, they MUST show progress. 3rd round or bust.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Gotta say hearing those Holtby chants was very irritating last game (coming from a Devils fan), best of luck to the Caps and hoping they silence the crowd/bring out the boo birds @ MSG tonight!

Oh lord, I loved it! Can anything be better than a home fans forgetting to support their team and trying to insult or taunt our guys? This shows that they have more respect for the Capitals than they have to their own team - and who was that? A young goalie!

The only one sweeter was when Whinipeg fans chanted "Crosby's better", admitting that there's no one anywhere close to Ovechkin on their team :)

Go Caps! Break their ankles.

Anthony Eclair

Anthony Eclair
Jan 14, 2012
McDonough's comments regarding a tired Ovechkin in game 3 should light his fuse. Expect the second line to break out as well. Caps with a 4-1 win.

Goals scorers
Ovechkin with 2
Brouwer with 1
Fehr with 1

Nash with 1 (just so that I'm not accused of being a homer)

I don't think you guys actually watch the game after reading these type of comments...

Without just focusing on the Caps, focus on the game. What makes you think that home advantage is not going to spark this team as well? It's obvious that the Rangers have been struggling but to see them come out like they had last game, was huge.

They build on confidence and when they have that confidence, nothing stops them. Seeing that Stepan and Nash (the Rangers number 1 and 2 point leaders) just earned their points in the last game as the GWG, I think they're going to go in this game more ready than you've seen. Brassard had 3 points and carried the Rangers to victory with his amazing passing plays. This team strives on success and in front of this home crowd, they won't let them down.

Ovechkin may have a little bit of a vendetta as of right now but the Rangers D has been targeting him as public enemy #1 and Lundqvist has too.

Now the Caps have noticed this. That's why other players have been rising because it's been unexpected.

Sure Ovechkin may put in a goal or so tonight but one man can't make this team. From a non-ranger fans perspective, I picture a 5-2 win for them.

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
All Caps fans saw the Caps dominate? That sounds about right:sarcasm:

I cant look at the main baord thread, as A: I was banned, and B: its all Caps/Rags homers.

I am not going to fight with you. Caps played a lot better in games 1 and 2. We lost game 3 because we didnt play well. If you believe otherwise, then thats fine.

That said,

Fire George

Oh my goodness, the Caps lose one game and you're already back to this obnoxious fire george nonsense? 16-0 doesn't happen.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think you guys actually watch the game after reading these type of comments...

Without just focusing on the Caps, focus on the game. What makes you think that home advantage is not going to spark this team as well? It's obvious that the Rangers have been struggling but to see them come out like they had last game, was huge.

They build on confidence and when they have that confidence, nothing stops them. Seeing that Stepan and Nash (the Rangers number 1 and 2 point leaders) just earned their points in the last game as the GWG, I think they're going to go in this game more ready than you've seen. Brassard had 3 points and carried the Rangers to victory with his amazing passing plays. This team strives on success and in front of this home crowd, they won't let them down.

Ovechkin may have a little bit of a vendetta as of right now but the Rangers D has been targeting him as public enemy #1 and Lundqvist has too.
Now the Caps have noticed this. That's why other players have been rising because it's been unexpected.

Sure Ovechkin may put in a goal or so tonight but one man can't make this team. From a non-ranger fans perspective, I picture a 5-2 win for them.

Huh?? Ovechkin was dominant in games 1 and 2. 5+ hits and 5+ shots in each game. He is 1+1 but could easily triple that if Lundqvuist wasn't quite as sharp or his linemates could actually finish.

Shut him down last game? Well it helps that the Caps were shorthanded for the entire first half of the game and him on the bench b/c of it.

Rangers were opportunistic last game. Good on them. I don't forsee guys like Asham and Boyle repeating their sniping. Caps had a drastic advantage 5 on 5.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Chuck Gormley ‏@ChuckGormleyCSN 24m
#CapitalsTalk Looks like Rangers C Darroll Plowe [apparent concussion] is out and Ryan Cowe [same] will replace him in Game 4 tonight

Laich skating today

To anyone thinking that the TMM call on us was correct because we touched the puck...

“Watching it I think it’s a wrong call,” Oates said. “You look at the tape, both guys touch the puck at the same time, there’s still 12 guys on the ice. To me, that’s a bad call. Obviously the [TV] commentator called it, too.”

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Really, you believe that another 1st round flop and Leonsis just continues to foster the atmosphere of postseason failure at the franchise level?

You might be right, but I'd hope that would signal the end. If Leonsis' goal is to win the Cup, they MUST show progress. 3rd round or bust.

first question to ask yourself is how you feel about the coach. my view is that it appears that oates is a pretty good coach who may be outstanding. now if you are going to blame oates too and be fine with at the least severely reducing his job security and confidence in his support and at the most change coaches again, then lets dump mcphee.

if you think oates is the right guy, then you want to keep his support in place. that means mcphee. oates is a smart guy. no matter what ted or dick patrick or the gm tells him he will know that his base of support has been reduced and that his direct supervisor is very likely not his biggest fan.

just like many think that the caps hideous playoff history has no residual effect on each team as they add to it there will be those that will say that axing mcphee would have zero effect on his coaching staff. its just not a reality.

so....yea, i think there is almost no shot that mcphee is fired after this shortened season with a new coach.

btw...how many think the genius shero gets fired if the pens lose in the first round?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Lets take a look at some of the recent 2-0 leads the Caps have had in series:

2003- Up vs Lightning - we lose game on 5 on 3 OT goal against. How often does that happen in NHL history? Especially on 2 rather weak calls.

2009- Up vs Pens - Pens have a 7-2 PP advantage. Including a PP in OT

2011 Up vs Rangers - Rangers have 7-4 PP advantage including a lengthy 2 man advantage

2013 Up vs Rangers - Rangers have 6-3 PP advantage including all 6 coming in a span of 30 minutes.

Notice any trends here?

I don't think its a conspiracy. I do think that in a series, just like in a game, when one team is down then they get the "sympathetic" officiating.

Nice read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/box-seats/post/wounds-from-2003-playoff-collapse-to-lightning-linger/2011/04/29/AFiF43DF_blog.html

The accepted rule in the overtime of the playoffs is that you only call the egregious penalties. In overtime of Game 3, Bill McCreary called a dubious penalty on Jaromir Jagr. It was a bad call, not worthy of an OT penalty. Making matters worse? A few seconds later, the refs called Capitals defenseman Ken Klee for a roughing penalty. I, along with thousands of Caps fans, was incredulous. Up until that moment in my life, I had never seen a 5-on-3 in overtime of the playoffs. Even Lightning players were surprised. Needless to say, the Lightning converted, the Capitals collapsed and the rest is history.

I was never so mad at the NHL like I was that night. It's not like the Caps were playing chippy that game and it caught up to them in overtime. No, the refs simply inserted themselves into deciding the outcome of the game and it cost the Caps. I didn't sleep a wink that night, knowing full well that the series had turned on one call. It wasn't fair (but that defines being a Caps fan).
Of all the horrible calls that have gone against the Caps in the past decade — the Flyers "interference" goal in Game 7 in 2008, the non-call when Boyd Gordon was interfered with allowing Evgeni Malkin to waltz down the ice on a 2-on-1 and score the game-winner in Game 5 of the 2009 Pittsburgh series, and the washing out of the Game 7 Ovechkin goal last year against Montreal — the reffing in Game 3 of the Tampa series still has me seething the most.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
TXPD,

So you believe the tiny amount of regular season success by Oates after a pathetic start will save McPHee, regardless of the fact that the franchise goal is a Cup?

If Leonsis runs Groupon that way, they're in trouble.

Shero has a Stanley Cup. Everything is different once you get a ring. McPhee hasn't even sniffed one.

Last edited:

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
What makes that image even more funny is the position of the ref at the bottom left hand of the screen. How does he not see that sea of blue?? hahahaha

Not too many men if the player is within a couple feet of the bench.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
lloyd2.jpg

Strung,

After so many years, I just have to ask: who is that guy, and what is the relevance as to the game? I know you've posted it for years, and I finally just had to ask.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Not too many men if the player is within a couple feet of the bench.

5 feet is the rule. There were guys way more than 5ft. Refs missed it plain and simple. It happens. Still funny.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I expected a 7 game series, so we will lose tonite. Caps got a little cocky going into gm 3, and got it handed to them. Defense was very sloppy. This team just isnt constructed well enough to beat anyone quickly, especially not a team with Lundqvist.

So I think Rags edge Caps again.

But maybe to combat that??? Its time to again.....

Fire George?

That was my view, too.

Also... got to keep the puck outta Green's hands as the initial passer when the puck is in our zone. He's stripped and/or makes too many poor passes in that area.

Another key: note which way the wind is blowing as to calls... and stay outta the penalty box.

Last key: Holtby holds em.... good play by the H man makes the diff.

NJDEVIL732

One game at a time..
May 22, 2008
Dirty Jerz
Oh lord, I loved it! Can anything be better than a home fans forgetting to support their team and trying to insult or taunt our guys? This shows that they have more respect for the Capitals than they have to their own team - and who was that? A young goalie!

The only one sweeter was when Whinipeg fans chanted "Crosby's better", admitting that there's no one anywhere close to Ovechkin on their team :)

Go Caps! Break their ankles.

Hahaha, from that aspect of it I must say I concur.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Rangers had a PP advantage of 6 to 3 and yet the Caps outshot them 31 to 30 for the game.

Rangers PPs keep Ovechkin off the ice. Caps will be more disciplined for this game.

Apparently you were not watching the game and especially the play of the Caps 2nd line of Ribeiro/Brouwer/Erat who dominated puck possession in the offensive zone in game 3.

Each time I see where Torts pulls a guy off the injury shelf to play, game two Boyle and Dorsett, game 3 Staal and now game 4 Clowe, it smacks of desperation on the Rangers part. If your team can't get motivated for playoff games just on their own merit and have to resort to these phony "inspirational moves" you're in for a short run in the PO.

BTW the Holtby chants at MSG only reflect how much he's gotten inside the heads of Ranger fans. :laugh:

Finally, I was wrong, Nash isn't going to score tonight.;)

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
I hope the 2nd line gets something. They have great puck possession, but are acting like a fourth line.. ****.

Liberati0n*

TXPD,

So you believe the tiny amount of regular season success by Oates after a pathetic start will save McPHee, regardless of the fact that the franchise goal is a Cup?

This may be hard for you to understand, but some people are actually capable of judging ability and potential without results blaring it in their faces. The reason to keep Oates is not his regular season success.

I don't even care what happens to McPhee, but keeping Oates and constructing the team to accommodate his vision for it are the most important thing.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
so....yea, i think there is almost no shot that mcphee is fired after this shortened season with a new coach.

For better or worse, i think #8 already saved GMGM's job, at least for a year, by going on a goalscoring tear and snagging another Richard trophy. As long as people feel that our centerpiece is still a truly elite player, hope will spring eternal. There will always be a feeling of, 'Maybe this next year will be the year.' I am not saying this is good or bad. I am just making the observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland