GDT: Caps at Rangers Game 4 7:30 at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think its long been proven that you see what you want to see, Bob (no offense, you just do from my corner) .

Rangers earned all of those PP's save the too many men one. The rest were accurate, and "bad plays" by the Caps. Most of the time a "bad play" is masking a defensive problem. Caps were chasing Rangers all around the ice.

I think Caps came out strong (first 10min), but that was that. Seesaw affair that had a lot of defensive mistakes from the Caps, and some lucky tip in for Goals (from the Caps). Honestly, 4-3...and it didnt seem that close.

From the cheap seats, this team was too loose, as Holtby called it. Will see what happens tonite, but its at best a 50/50 game, and I dont see us winning another one of those.

So....

Fire George!

With all due respect Rids I think it is YOU who sees what you want to see. I think most objective observers would say that the Caps dominated the game. Ovechkin mentioned it even so the players think so.

Even if all those penalties were deserved its very rare that there is that kind of disparity even in a regular season game. The condensed 6 PP in 30 minutes crushed us. Also there were a couple blatent ones the Refs missed on the Rags (9 men on the ice should have been coincidental and the punch to MPs face)

The Rangers maybe had 6-8 good scoring chances the whole game and none were of the open net variety. The Caps were all over them for the majority of the game and pinned them in their zone. Their goalie made 3 or 4 saves that could have easily been goals and Braden only made routine saves.

4-3 wasn't close. The Caps should have won that one easily and would have if the the refs didn't call an unusual game.

http://www.shutdownline.com/hurricanes/scoring-chances/tracking-the-playoffs-rangers-vs-capitals-game-3.html

I'm not a stats geek but what I saw with my eyes, as well as almost every other poster here sans YOU, suggests it to be true.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
2me9z8.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you also see what you want to see Tex. If you thought the Caps played well and should have won, well then I dont know what to tell you.

Unless the Caps make it to the ECF, George should be fired. I dont need to fire up any engines for that.

*If* you really saw where I was going with this, you'd better understand what I am trying to do. Perhaps ask WetHog

Fire George!

the problem with pointing the "you see what you want to see finger" is that there are 3 or 4(depending on how you point) of those same "see what you want to see fingers" pointed right back at you.

what you see backs up your own pov.

and....you know that george is not going to be fired as it stands right today. if they lose this series, he isnt going to be fired. its interesting to set up these tests that if failed mean firing, but mcphee isnt going to be fired.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
With all due respect Rids I think it is YOU who sees what you want to see. I think most objective observers would say that the Caps dominated the game. Ovechkin mentioned it even so the players think so.

Even if all those penalties were deserved its very rare that there is that kind of disparity even in a regular season game. The condensed 6 PP in 30 minutes crushed us. Also there were a couple blatent ones the Refs missed on the Rags (9 men on the ice should have been coincidental and the punch to MPs face)

The Rangers maybe had 6-8 good scoring chances the whole game and none were of the open net variety. The Caps were all over them for the majority of the game and pinned them in their zone. Their goalie made 3 or 4 saves that could have easily been goals and Braden only made routine saves.

4-3 wasn't close. The Caps should have won that one easily and would have if the the refs didn't call an unusual game.

http://www.shutdownline.com/hurricanes/scoring-chances/tracking-the-playoffs-rangers-vs-capitals-game-3.html

I'm not a stats geek but what I saw with my eyes, as well as almost every other poster here sans YOU, suggests it to be true.

All Caps fans saw the Caps dominate? That sounds about right:sarcasm:

I cant look at the main baord thread, as A: I was banned, and B: its all Caps/Rags homers.

I am not going to fight with you. Caps played a lot better in games 1 and 2. We lost game 3 because we didnt play well. If you believe otherwise, then thats fine.

That said,

Fire George

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
All Caps fans saw the Caps dominate? That sounds about right:sarcasm:

I cant look at the main baord thread, as A: I was banned, and B: its all Caps/Rags homers.

I am not going to fight with you. Caps played a lot better in games 1 and 2. We lost game 3 because we didnt play well. If you believe otherwise, then thats fine.

That said,

Fire George

Forget the main boards.

Is there anyone else here on the Caps board that would side with you on this?

It seemed pretty obvious Caps were the better team to the players, the forum posters, the stats guys and pretty much everyone else who doesn't have an axe to grind.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
the problem with pointing the "you see what you want to see finger" is that there are 3 or 4(depending on how you point) of those same "see what you want to see fingers" pointed right back at you.

what you see backs up your own pov.

and....you know that george is not going to be fired as it stands right today. if they lose this series, he isnt going to be fired. its interesting to set up these tests that if failed mean firing, but mcphee isnt going to be fired.

Come on. That would infer I want the Caps to lose. In no way is that even remotely true. I saw a bad game. It was a bad game. Caps didnt play well enough to win, ergo they lost.

We like to make excuses as Caps fans for the losses in the playoffs. We do it year in, and year out. How about they just deserved to lose?

And as far as George goes. If we dont speak our minds about it as fans, of course he wont get fired. Ted doesnt like hard decisions, that much is painfully obvious.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
agreed to an extent, that the Caps didn't play well. They should not have taken 6 penalites before realizing, "Oh wow, they're calling things really tight against us in particular!" In my amateur opinion, their play in the third that resulted in the two goals was a direct result of line shuffling and TOI management due to so much PK'ing. I also think the PK'ers got a little full of themselves before allowing that first goal. They had just "killed the penalty" and sat back on their heels against the final rush pleased with themselves at their dominance. Cleanly kill off that penalty and I think the Caps have a 3-0 series lead.

I think the refs will swallow their whistles for this one (unless it gets way out of hand which it won't because Oates and Torts wouldn't let it happen) No more than 2 power plays either way, and the Caps win 4-2. OV with an empty netter. Brouwer with his first. Green with 1+1. D-Man deflection for a goal from 3rd or 4th line.

Nash and Boyle with their goals.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Not to butt in, but I think you are both right. The Caps dominated the game in terms of territory and possession. They had the Rangers pinned for long stretches. However, there were some awful defensive breakdowns and the Rangers took advantage of what the Caps D gave them.

Caps need to tighten up and go back to the system.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Forget the main boards.

Is there anyone else here on the Caps board that would side with you on this?

It seemed pretty obvious Caps were the better team to the players, the forum posters, the stats guys and pretty much everyone else who doesn't have an axe to grind.

LOL. "Axe to grind" Thats rich, and the typical quote against the minority who is tired of the same old Caps crap. My only "Axe", Bob, is wanting this freaking franchise to win a cup before I die. 35 years as a fan, and thats not too much to ask.

If we lose this series (again where we were the favoured team, with home ice), then we obviously wont win the Cup this year. I am dreading that to happen. I think we will win in 7, as I have stated many times. But if we dont?

But it will be the refs fault, probably. Not the leader of the franchise :rolleyes:

I dont mind being the boards antagonist, if it helps to change the stars alignment a little bit, then I am all for it.

Thank me later.

FIRE GEORGE?

NJDEVIL732

One game at a time..
May 22, 2008
Dirty Jerz
Gotta say hearing those Holtby chants was very irritating last game (coming from a Devils fan), best of luck to the Caps and hoping they silence the crowd/bring out the boo birds @ MSG tonight!
OvechkinCelebration-NYRangers04302012.gif

Govechkin

Nov 10, 2010
If the Caps play like they did games one and two, and we see Holts with his A game, we should win this series. Tonight's game IMO is a must win, blowing the series lead means we go home with our tail between our legs and have to win two at the Phonebooth most likely. Going home with a 3-1 lead means we have two chances at home to put them away. My prediction is 3-2 Caps with Brouwer putting one in and a goal from one of our D men.

Side note, I just moved from the Bethesda area to the Alexandria area but I will be working in Arlington today, any good recommendations for where to watch the game? Anyone want to set up a NoVa viewing party or something? I assume most of you are fairly reasonable people (maybe?).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't like to say we dominated when we lose. The measuring stick of the games is goals and that cannot be discounted. Players dominated but the team failed.

I prefer to blame the refs :yo:

Ovi only had 1 hit. Orr, zippy. Fehr 1. Those are our big guns. When Ovi isn't physical, i consider him far less likely to dominate, and thus the team.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't like to say we dominated when we lose. The measuring stick of the games is goals and that cannot be discounted. Players dominated but the team failed.

I prefer to blame the refs :yo:

Ovi only had 1 hit. Orr, zippy. Fehr 1. Those are our big guns. When Ovi isn't physical, i consider him far less likely to dominate, and thus the team.

I think those hit figures are a direct result of how tight they were officiating combined with the fact that we seemed to have the puck all the time when not on the PK. So I'm with you! Down with the Refs! Down with THE MAN!

LOL. "Axe to grind" Thats rich, and the typical quote against the minority who is tired of the same old Caps crap. My only "Axe", Bob, is wanting this freaking franchise to win a cup before I die. 35 years as a fan, and thats not too much to ask.

FIRE GEORGE?

And you think you are alone in wanting the Caps to win a cup? You know you're not.

We just differ in ways that we feel can achieve that goal. You don't have faith in management to achieve this and with good reason due to their history and tenure in which it hasn't happened.

I take a different approach. I think that in the past management has had its faults but I feel the light bulb finally turned on for them. There were even flickers over the past couple of seasons in terms of the types of players they brought in.

I think we are trending in the right direction. You don't. Its simple as that because in terms of style of the philosophy on how to win and structure a team I think we are in the same mind frame or close to it.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Side note, I just moved from the Bethesda area to the Alexandria area but I will be working in Arlington today, any good recommendations for where to watch the game? Anyone want to set up a NoVa viewing party or something? I assume most of you are fairly reasonable people (maybe?).

You can try Bailey's in Ballston Mall. Huge sports bar.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think those hit figures are a direct result of how tight they were officiating combined with the fact that we seemed to have the puck all the time when not on the PK. So I'm with you! Down with the Refs! Down with THE MAN!

And you think you are alone in wanting the Caps to win a cup? You know you're not.

We just differ in ways that we feel can achieve that goal. You don't have faith in management to achieve this and with good reason due to their history and tenure in which it hasn't happened.

I take a different approach. I think that in the past management has had its faults but I feel the light bulb finally turned on for them. There were even flickers over the past couple of seasons in terms of the types of players they brought in.

I think we are trending in the right direction. You don't. Its simple as that because in terms of style of the philosophy on how to win and structure a team I think we are in the same mind frame or close to it.

If we can make it to the ECF, then we are trending in the right direction. If we lose this series (and then most likely Ribeiro --so Eakin, draft picks, Semin, etc--) then any positive trends are eliminated.

Right?

Fire George!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
McDonough's comments regarding a tired Ovechkin in game 3 should light his fuse. Expect the second line to break out as well. Caps with a 4-1 win.

Goals scorers
Ovechkin with 2
Brouwer with 1
Fehr with 1

Nash with 1 (just so that I'm not accused of being a homer)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Come on. That would infer I want the Caps to lose..

no...that would infer that you THINK the caps will lose. you dont think they are well constructed as i recall you saying. not constructed for a quick series win or such.

you think the gm needs to be fired. that shows you are confident in their ability to win? doesnt mean you want them to lose you just think they probably will lose.

what about that isnt true? so...you see what backs up your pov. the team isnt that good and should be enough better that the gm has failed with this team enough to be replaced.

oh...as for me? i have zero expectations of this game. i have no feel for it. i thought they would lose g3 because they are the caps and tradition demands drama and opportunity to bring the old demons back for an encore. anyone notice that nbc brought up that the caps have had 6 2-0 leads and lost 4 of those series?

tonight. i got nothing. i will watch and hope.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Dominated should take on new meaning after Montreal

We lost. The cold goalie plays for the dominating team and gives up the first chance they get.

I am still laughing after seeing those MAF goals last night :laugh:

Poti In.... hot water for a soak, naturally.

I hope he gets in sore back and all before Sarge, if one of the 2 get summoned for Erskine.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If we can make it to the ECF, then we are trending in the right direction. If we lose this series (and then most likely Ribeiro --so Eakin, draft picks, Semin, etc--) then any positive trends are eliminated.

Right?

Fire George!

not right. my view of ribeiro was that he was acquired for one full season and then to be replaced at 2c by a younger in house player. a rental brought in pre season rather than at the deadline so that he wasnt still adjusting to his new team when the games started to matter.

so...eakin and a 2nd were traded for a rental. not an unusual trade deadline price for an impact player. ribeiro has been an impact.

as for semin....the caps as playoff team are not going to retain every ufa. as a playoff team they are not going to be trading those pending ufa's for futures at the deadline either. lastly....would you sign semin to the caps at the contract he has now which is what his agent wanted? as i recall, it was good riddence to bad rubish for 90% of the posters here when he left.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Right?

Fire George!

No I don't see it like that. The trends I'm talking about are the philosophy of team building/drafting/player acquisitions. I don't think the work is done just yet.

We may lose Ribs but we'll get Wilson and Kuznetsov very soon. I expect Orlov to take a step as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00