Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Nick Jensen and a 2019 5th for Bowey and 2020 2nd, extend him 4 yrs, $10M

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I really do wonder if the Capitals aren't going to make another deal to ship someone on their D corps out. I just can't see Djoos sitting around as a 7D after all of the glowing comments from management and the coaching staff.

I see him sitting. He sat a month+ last year before coming back after the playoffs had started.

I think we will let Jensen walk, and Djoos'll back at 3RD next year. I suspect BMac doesn't fully trust Djoos's durability, especially if he got injured last game.

He didn't trust Bowey, period. We have upgraded 3RD and 7D in one fell swoop.

A Djoos injury may explain the shifting gears and engaging plan B, Operation DSP.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hopefully BMac has the stones to play Djoos over Orpik if he's fully healed and have Orpik be the press box cheerleader/#7 fill in. He waived a heart and soul player in DSP so perhaps he's gonna be more hard ass about performance than playing favorites with vets. Otherwise this is just giving up Bowey + 2nd for more or less the same pairing as we'd have with Orpik-Djoos

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik could clear the logjam by joining the coaching staff. Guy though is amazing in his grinding out games on defense.

Just understand that the value he brings as a player is lost by at least half when he becomes a coach. He is not in the locker room anymore. He is one of them. Not one of us. As long as Orpik can play like he is now and wants to play, he will have a spot in that lineup

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think some of this depends on Orpik. From what Ive seen he remains solid at doing what he does. I see no guarantee that Orpik retires after this season or that the Caps don't want him back. I would not be surprised to see that Orlov is the one on the launching pad
I think Niskanen becomes the one in more jeopardy, particularly given his age. He looked fairly slow at times last night. Maybe he's not entirely right but it may not take a whole lot for him to fall off. He's had a rough season and is IMO partially why this was prioritized.

I also think Djoos was probably benched for his soft coverage on the first Leafs goal. He got a bit unlucky on that bounce but was off of his man.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Niskanen becomes the one in more jeopardy, particularly given his age. He looked fairly slow at times last night. Maybe he's not entirely right but it may not take a whole lot for him to fall off. He's had a rough season and is IMO partially why this was prioritized.

I also think Djoos was probably benched for his soft coverage on the first Leafs goal. He got a bit unlucky on that bounce but was off of his man.

It occurred to me early on that Nisky didn't recover well from the playoff run and that maybe he was permanently damaged. But watching Orlov get turned inside out ALL THE TIME has made me more curious if Niskanen isn't trying to do too much covering for Orlov. That's just my read

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Didn't know Djoos would be playing restricted minutes last night. But thought this type of move could be in the offing. From yesterday morning:

Most posters are riffing on the prevailing rumors that involve forwards, but when I think back to concerns frequently expressed on these boards, it's team defense that seems to predominate. A defensively-minded faceoff-competent forward seems to be a clear need. Could Mac also be contemplating a move involving a defenseman? It's the same basic corps as last season but flaws are evident. This year's Caps are giving up .27 more goals per game than last year. That's partly on the forwards not doing their part, but also on the D. Nisky and Orlov are having subpar seasons. Kempny isn't rising to the challenge of prime minutes over the course of a full season. Several of the Caps' D are relatively inexperienced. I would be concerned about chemistry (see Shatt). Would Mac bring in someone like a Nick Jensen?

Reactions: Bananas

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Don’t know much about Jensen but I guess he is good with his transition game

One thing is clear, as of late, GMBM is building a team that focuses on speed and their transition game.

This is how the NHL is trending and he is building us for this

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What do you guys think of Bowey? If he gets some playing time could he still turn it around? Hes only 23 and seems like he has some legit athletic ability. I like this trade for both teams Washington is all in and Detroit can afford to give Bowey time to see what he can be for a year or 2, actually playing some minutes.

I think youll like Jensen. Great skater, good on the PK and good defensively. Can brea the puck out but isnt gonna do much offensively. A classic 4/5 dman depending on the quality of your blue line.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Detroit has been awful and Jensen’s advanced stats have been solid still. Don’t forget pitssburgh was glad Niskanen and Orpik were gone too and I’ve been glad to have them.
Yeah, I also think they're happy more because they had already come to grips with losing him. They're pumped for the second rounder and a wildcard who may or may not develop into a second pairing guy. The wings are in full on rebuild mode. I remember the days around here when we were in rebuild mode and every time we acquired a nice pick or a prospect with upside people were excited. Has a lot more to do with that than them thinking they sent us garbage for a nice return. My buddy is a big wings fans, just shot me a text and he loves the return but says we're going to love the player as well. Seems fair for both side, both fan bases are happy and I can't imagine the players involved aren't also happy. Madison gets a chance to be a regular on a defensive rotation that's rebuilding. He'll have the chance to shine and become a everyday player and Jensen gets a chance to go to a cup defending team and compete for a Stanley Cup.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
In a world where Ian Cole and Kris Russel get 4 million with term Jensen does not get resigned for 1 million or less.

While I agree, I could see Jensen on a short deal coming in around 2 mil. If he performs and they re-sign him it makes losing that 2nd a lot of easier to swallow. His bump won’t be outrageous.

If they do lose him, oh well, I only care about first rounders anymore anyway. Everything after that is basically just luck.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Haven’t been able to watch all of the recent games. I’m curious how some of you longtimers/hardcore fans would rank our current defensemen, from best to worst?

I know there are always variables such as usage, partner, injuries, etc. But if you had to rank them right now in terms of overall value and effectiveness, what would your list look like?

Part of the reason I ask is, in the past I had a much more fixed idea of who our top four were. I had a better idea who the reliable shutdown guys were, such as Nisky or pre-injury Alzner. Nowadays, especially from reading HFBboards, it seems as if we Caps fans have serious reservations about all of them, whether Orlov, Nisky, Kempny, Djoos, whoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It occurred to me early on that Nisky didn't recover well from the playoff run and that maybe he was permanently damaged. But watching Orlov get turned inside out ALL THE TIME has made me more curious if Niskanen isn't trying to do too much covering for Orlov. That's just my read

I don't know if it's situational. They may just be a bad fit 80% of the time. They were pretty terrible together for much of last regular season.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
RH Requisite Fight Card Review

He is not the biggest dude, but the guy can throw. Let's re-ink already. Sorry Djoosll.

Nice. Willy's hands are getting softer by the week, so someone to help with the pugilism is a good add.

Sidenote: Crazy to think that you get a guy off the Wings roster and the response is "who"? Times really have changed.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What do you guys think of Bowey? If he gets some playing time could he still turn it around? Hes only 23 and seems like he has some legit athletic ability. I like this trade for both teams Washington is all in and Detroit can afford to give Bowey time to see what he can be for a year or 2, actually playing some minutes.

I think youll like Jensen. Great skater, good on the PK and good defensively. Can brea the puck out but isnt gonna do much offensively. A classic 4/5 dman depending on the quality of your blue line.
I like Madison a lot and he seems to have a good team personality from just brief observations of how he interacts with his guys on the bench, after the games and in practice. I think he's going to frustrate the heck out of you at times but he seems to get better with more ice time. He'll have the chance to do that with you guys. There's still a legit chance he develops into a second pairing guy and I think the vast majority of us here hope he does. No ill will coming from me on him, he just isn't done cooking yet and we're pretty deep on the backend in the NHL, the AHL and in juniors. Classic logjam/change of scenery type move.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

He's got the tools but it's really a matter of the guy in front of him separating (Djoos) and the guy behind him passing him (Siegenthaler). Could eventually be a 2nd pair guy but most would project 3rd pair, certainly an NHLer.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What do you guys think of Bowey?.

Thanks for the report card. Bowey seemed to struggle anytime he played with Orpik over the past 2 seasons, but did a LOT better paired with everyone else.

He needs more time to round out his game, but more importantly may just need to be in a good pairing. He will drop the mits if needed and take his fair share of minors, and has good mobility for a big kid.

I suspect he was projected to be more of a puck mover than stay at home type, but think he was pegged wrong. Given a solid puck mover he can focus on a simple game which I think will help him meet reasonable expectations as he finds his place in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad