Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Nick Jensen and a 2019 5th for Bowey and 2020 2nd, extend him 4 yrs, $10M

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
;)

I still don't see where he fits in. Jensen is way too good to be a 7D, the price paid is enough where you think he'd be in the lineup, but Djoos also needs to be in the lineup.

I wonder if there's another move to come still because right now the D is a logjam.
No log jam, you need defensive depth especially in the playoffs. Brian Burke then with the Ducks said they used 10 defensemen when they won the SC.

I remember the Caps losing Langway in the playoffs with that freek laceration to the back of his leg. The team was never the same after that for those playoffs.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
you guys make me laugh. Orpik is not going to be scratched. If someone other than Djoos is in danger of getting scratched, its Kempny

Agreed... Orpik is still our #1D defensive LD, in terms of PK and protecting leads.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Even with his penchant to taking stick penalties, I can't see him getting benched when he's leading the team in +/- and still playing solid all around.

Kempny looked overmatched last night. More than Orlov. One of Djoos, Kempny or Orlov is the loser here. Its not any of the right d and its not Oprik.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
A 2nd may be steep but it depends on demand more than anything this time of year. Always remember, we envision it to be a late 2nd. Its basically a 3rd. ;)

It sounds like Bowey was the throw in, not the pick. We needed the cap space.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Happy to bring a good skating D-man to the mix, gives flexibility w/Djoos/Orpik/Kempny/Siegs

Really happy we're not waiting for other Metro teams to make moves (like how PIT usually makes multi deals the week before TDL)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I really do wonder if the Capitals aren't going to make another deal to ship someone on their D corps out. I just can't see Djoos sitting around as a 7D after all of the glowing comments from management and the coaching staff.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I really do wonder if the Capitals aren't going to make another deal to ship someone on their D corps out. I just can't see Djoos sitting around as a 7D after all of the glowing comments from management and the coaching staff.

As was pointed out Djoos played little last night. The easy read there is that he is still recovering from the injury. If that were true, then that instantly explains this deal.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Spending a 2nd on this guy does make me wonder if they think they can recruit him to stay?
Looking at the organizational RD depth, Carlson, Niskanen, Siegnthaler, Lexington and Williams. So I would hope they make a good effort to resign him if his play warrants it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Spending a 2nd on this guy does make me wonder if they think they can recruit him to stay?
It could give them options, esp. if they may believe Niskanen is on the downswing. Unless he flops he'll probably command Kempny money, if not also term. There's always demand for RD that can skate.

Should he stay I think Siegenthaler with Jensen would be the more ideal fit, with JS transitioning into the Orpik role in time. But, of course, it'll likely be Orpik for now...though I could also see him subbing in for Niskanen at times if he's really going and the later not so much. If nothing else, it could allow them to rest Niskanen to a greater extent down the stretch and that itself could be pretty valuable.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

We are cup contenders... we’re supposed to be deep.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As was pointed out Djoos played little last night. The easy read there is that he is still recovering from the injury. If that were true, then that instantly explains this deal.

That could make sense but I doubt this deal was hastily thrown together in less than 24 hours. I suspect Jensen has been on their radar seeing as Friedman said they were on the lookout for the next Kempny earlier this week. Until last night Djoos had played his customary 12-15 minutes a night on the third pair so it seems odd that that would be the reason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It could give them options, esp. if they may believe Niskanen is on the downswing. Unless he flops he'll probably command Kempny money, if not also term. There's always demand for RD that can skate.

Should he stay I think Siegenthaler with Jensen would be the more ideal fit, with JS transitioning into the Orpik role in time. But, of course, it'll likely be Orpik for now...though I could also see him subbing in for Niskanen at times if he's really going and the later not so much. If nothing else, it could allow them to rest Niskanen to a greater extent down the stretch and that itself could be pretty valuable.

I think some of this depends on Orpik. From what Ive seen he remains solid at doing what he does. I see no guarantee that Orpik retires after this season or that the Caps don't want him back. I would not be surprised to see that Orlov is the one on the launching pad

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Jensen aint resigning anywhere for a million or less. He wont be expensive per say but he aint gonna sign for marginal nhl player money.

Not to mention if we re-sign him, even with 44 retiring it puts Ziggy's apartment in jeopardy. Can he afford to break that lease?

Seems like a rental/insurance, hard to know who gets bumped for him just yet. Can't wait to find out.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Orpik could clear the logjam by joining the coaching staff. Guy though is amazing in his grinding out games on defense.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Not to mention if we re-sign him, even with 44 retiring it puts Ziggy's apartment in jeopardy. Can he afford to break that lease?

Seems like a rental/insurance, hard to know who gets bumped for him just yet. Can't wait to find out.
HFcaps should rent the apartment!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That could make sense but I doubt this deal was hastily thrown together in less than 24 hours. I suspect Jensen has been on their radar seeing as Friedman said they were on the lookout for the next Kempny earlier this week. Until last night Djoos had played his customary 12-15 minutes a night on the third pair so it seems odd that that would be the reason.

I don't think the deal was hastily thrown together. Djoos was hurt a long time ago and his recovery from the way it has been talked about by Reirden was always a question mark. Its easy to gleen that MacLellan had this deal working for quite some time not knowing how Djoos would recover and when. I think he came back before they hoped but isn't holding up well. He played just eight mins last night. Something definitely is not right there and I don't think it is a surprise to the Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad