GDT: Capitals vs. Senators. 7:30pm. Scotiabank Place. 4.18.2013

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
when you have a goalie that is going to play the puck a lot plays like that are going to happen. i am not sure that was so much a bad decision as it was a bad pass. had he passed it to alzner, it wouldnt have ended up in the net.

by the way, broduer is better with the puck. not a lot of goalies are as good or willing to be as active, but broduer is in a league by himself.

Apr 6, 2004
when you have a goalie that is going to play the puck a lot plays like that are going to happen. i am not sure that was so much a bad decision as it was a bad pass. had he passed it to alzner, it wouldnt have ended up in the net.

by the way, broduer is better with the puck. not a lot of goalies are as good or willing to be as active, but broduer is in a league by himself.

Watch Holtby's head, it's down before and during the pass. He knew someone was there because that's the structure of the defense / common sense but he has to be more aware when playing the puck. I agree it's a risk / reward type of situation and I'm all for it, I just think he can minimize those types of gaffes.

And tx, I also agree, Broduer > Holtby but I'm not sure it's that much of a gap.

Last edited:

BobbyCarpenter

Jan 22, 2008
Houston, TX
He makes 100 good plays with the puck for every bad one. This bad one happened to end up in the back of the net. It happens.

No risk no reward. When you take risks (a goalie playing the puck) then sometimes you will botch things. It just happened to go perfectly Ottawa's way in this instance.

Absolutely. It was a brain fart. Happens to the best of them.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
It wasn't a brain fart, he just missed. Alzner's pass was a brain fart (really, his whole game was kind of a brain fart). Bad game all around, but it'll happen. Go get Montreal.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Reality folks: it's 1 game.

If we make the playoffs, and Pittsburgh gets eliminated, our chances increase ten-fold.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Yup.

I'd also put Mike Smith up there.

Cool whip, Reddi-Whip, any of that stuff (your avatar) in a can is referred to as "Cat-Cream" in my house.

Our female Maine Coon (SheRa) gets one squirt of it every night just before we head upstairs to watch a little TV before bedtime.

She's addicted to cat-cream... vet says although she cannot recommend it, a little shouldn't hurt SheRa.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Getting hit in the nuts doesn't take you out of a game for 25 minutes. I'm thinking its something worse.

I took a lacrosse ball off my cup in high school and was not able to function as a human for the better part of an hour. Would think a cold rubber disc would have the same affect.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I took a lacrosse ball off my cup in high school and was not able to function as a human for the better part of an hour. Would think a cold rubber disc would have the same affect.

Played goalie in lacrosse in college, and I still play on a men's club team. Dumb position. Don't know why I still do it. Guess I'm just a gluten for punishment (as if being a Skins and Caps fan isn't enough).

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Played lacrosse in college, was a defenseman. Use to love the coach's comments, "jump in front of the shots and that's one less save our goalie has to make". Doing fast break drills one day in practice, my responsibility was to move towards the attackman that was carrying the ball to make him commit. In this case it was one of our coaches and he committed alright, quick sticked it at our goal but it never made it there as it went through my face cage (spreading the bars) and the next thing I realized, I was on my knees with blood rushing out of my face and the ball rolling around on the inside of my face mask. Luckily only got 4 stitches over the eye.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Played lacrosse in college, was a defenseman. Use to love the coach's comments, "jump in front of the shots and that's one less save our goalie has to make". Doing fast break drills one day in practice, my responsibility was to move towards the attackman that was carrying the ball to make him commit. In this case it was one of our coaches and he committed alright, quick sticked it at our goal but it never made it there as it went through my face cage (spreading the bars) and the next thing I realized, I was on my knees with blood rushing out of my face and the ball rolling around on the inside of my face mask. Luckily only got 4 stitches over the eye.

I'm laughing here at work, good stuff. I always love the big, bad defensemen who get hit with a shot and roll around like they've been shot. Or better yet, when a shooter winds up to crank a shot and the defense and attack part like Moses and the Red Sea.

I got hit once so hard in the head in college it cracked my helmet. The ball fell right in front of me, I picked it up, threw an outlet pass, and went black; I fell backwards into the net. Next thing I knew I was waking up on the sideline with my trainer asking me the usual, "what's your name," "what day is it," "what's 3+3." Fun times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad