GDT: Capitals vs. Senators. 7:30pm. Scotiabank Place. 4.18.2013

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
I hate what "sports networks" are becoming...

April 18th: ZOMG THE NFL SCHEDULES CAME OUT LETS TALK ABOUT THEM FOR 30 MINUTES.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
2r3kn5t.png

I'm thinking he got hit in the nuts looking at his reaction.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Official word is his arm. Which, I guess if it's not broken, should be a good thing.

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 35s

Nicklas Backstrom took a slap shot from Mike Green off his left arm. Oates said the #Caps will evaluate him tomorrow in Montreal.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
Getting hit in the nuts doesn't take you out of a game for 25 minutes. I'm thinking its something worse.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm sorry, but we're not the Lightning or the Jets. After losing Spezza and Karlsson, playing solid defense is our #1 priority.

If we lost Ovechkin and Green for an extended period we'd be beyond horrible.

It's impressive as hell what Ottawa is doing. They're going to be a force next year and they're not going to be an easy out even shorthanded this season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well that sucks. Although, as much as Holtby ****ed up on both goals, he also is the only reason it wasn't 12-1.

Losing the game is bad.

Possibly losing Nicky is worse.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Green is no doctor but good news I guess:

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 34m
Green on Backstrom: “It caught him in the arm. He’s alright but definitely gave him a bruise so I hope everything’s ok.” #Caps

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Well that was sort of an awkward game. Holtby giveth and Holtby taketh away. Caps shouldn't have been anywhere near in the game by the third, but they still managed to blow their second chance.

Hopefully the loss jolts them back to reality. I'd like to see them take advantage of a slumping Montreal team with a very cold goaltender.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Green is no doctor but good news I guess:

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 34m
Green on Backstrom: “It caught him in the arm. He’s alright but definitely gave him a bruise so I hope everything’s ok.†#Caps

Great news, if true. Even if it's broken and he's out this shouldn't have long term effects. Losing Backstrom to another concussion would have been terrible.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
One thing I must say about Holtby, is I think he's much better than Brodeur when it comes to making good decisions with the puck.

Brodeur seemed to have major brain farts in that regard at least once a game during the playoffs against hard forechecks.

I find it weird for Backstrom's injury they are talking about checking it out in Montreal tomorrow... I'm pretty sure every NHL arena has the ability to do x-rays on site and then on top of that why are they flying out tonight?

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

Holtby's puck-handling decisions have improved, but that area of his game, for now, remains a liability. I'm sure there doesn't exist any data that quantifies the positive effects of goalies helping breakouts and so on, but I very much doubt that those positive effects outweigh the few totally unwarranted goals those goalies give up when they don't make responsible decisions.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Can't win them all. Clearly a lack of energy. Its not like we were never going to lose again.

Seems like a bad bruise for Backstrom so thats kinda good news.

Tough breaks for Holtby. He played a real strong game outside of 2 mistakes that cost the team. Just goes to show how unforgiving professional sports can be!

Get ready for Montreal Saturday. Hopefully at least Ward or Backstrom can play and if not that WW steps up bigtime

Apr 6, 2004
Holtby's puck-handling decisions have improved, but that area of his game, for now, remains a liability. I'm sure there doesn't exist any data that quantifies the positive effects of goalies helping breakouts and so on, but I very much doubt that those positive effects outweigh the few totally unwarranted goals those goalies give up when they don't make responsible decisions.

His puck handling skills are second to none in the league. His decision making is where the liability sits.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
His puck handling skills are second to none in the league. His decision making is where the liability sits.

He makes 100 good plays with the puck for every bad one. This bad one happened to end up in the back of the net. It happens.

No risk no reward. When you take risks (a goalie playing the puck) then sometimes you will botch things. It just happened to go perfectly Ottawa's way in this instance.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: