GDT: Capitals vs. Senators. 7:30pm. Scotiabank Place. 4.18.2013

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
TV: Comcast SportsNet

Radio: 106.7 The Fan/Capitals Radio Network

Washington Capitals (24-17-2)

Ottawa Senators (22-14-6)

The Capitals embark upon their final road trip of the 2012-13 regular season, a two-game tour through Eastern Canada that takes them to Ottawa and Montreal. First stop is Ottawa, where the Caps will take on the Senators on Thursday.

As they head out for their final trip, the Caps carry an eight-game points streak on the road. Washington is 7-0-1 in its last eight road outings, and it has won each of its last three tilts outside the District. The Capitals are 11-9-2 on the road for the season.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2012020647

Last edited:

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
The Sens will probably view this as a statement game, playing at home against a potential first round opponent.

That said, I like the Caps chances tomorrow. I also see Ottawa as a vulnerable first round opponent. Washington's skill players would expose the Sens blue line over a seven game series. Plus, I think Craig Anderson is overrated.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Gotta win. Rags schedule is so weak... 2x Cats and Devils and with the Devils considering just not playing Kovalchuk even if he is better.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Man I just remembered that crap call on Ward that led to the Sens game winning goal on the PP.

Looked at it again. Literally the ref 5 feet away from it waives it off and the other one calls it anyways.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hate the dual ref system. It just doubles the chance of a call being wrong.

I almost feel like that back side official far from the play should not be allowed to call minors.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hate the dual ref system. It just doubles the chance of a call being wrong.

I almost feel like that back side official far from the play should not be allowed to call minors.

you just hate the two referee system because it eliminates the dirty work that used to go on behind the referee and behind the play.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
you just hate the two referee system because it eliminates the dirty work that used to go on behind the referee and behind the play.

No. They didn't call a board last game on Nick. Even with 4 eyes they didn't see the dirty work right in front of their faces.

Can't have it both ways.

What happens when the playoffs and finals approach. They let them play anyways. Why the charade of not letting them play during the regular season, so teams can actually prepare for playoff style, and so fans can actually enjoy the game all year the way they call the finals. The ones where the refs don't decide the facking games.

I also hate the 2 ref system because they disrupt offenses, particularly cycle teams. Every damn game. Watch for it tonight, Green losing the puck in the refs skates in the corner.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

RH has a point.

Remember a few years back...game 6 vs Pens with 2 minutes left. Pens player stick breaks when he is near Schultz. Ref on spot calls nothing while ref from center ice calls for slash. The guy was nowhere near the play, saw nothing, yet felt compelled to make an idiotic call that could have went down as one of the very worst in history if it cost the Caps that game.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City

How is it related? Two referees and dual refereeing are different things.

Two referee system is good - the second ref can watch behind the play stuff and refs don't get as tired physically, helping them to officiate better.

Dual refereeing is bad though. Dual refereeing means every play is replayed by two refs, neither of whom can overturn bade penalty call made by another.

Possible solutions:
Disallow trailing ref to make calls aside from behind the play ones.
Introduce coach's challenge.
Allow closer referee to overturn bad penalty call made by the second one (I'd love this, just for drama).
Bring in third referee (maybe not directly on the ice), who would supervise what other two do.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
RH has a point.

Remember a few years back...game 6 vs Pens with 2 minutes left. Pens player stick breaks when he is near Schultz. Ref on spot calls nothing while ref from center ice calls for slash. The guy was nowhere near the play, saw nothing, yet felt compelled to make an idiotic call that could have went down as one of the very worst in history if it cost the Caps that game.

two refs can mess up a call as easily as one, but rh has commented in the past that he misses the old days when funny business could go on behind the referee's back. you dont miss it yourself??

Vladiator16*

How is it related? Two referees and dual refereeing are different things.

Two referee system is good - the second ref can watch behind the play stuff and refs don't get as tired physically, helping them to officiate better.

Dual refereeing is bad though. Dual refereeing means every play is replayed by two refs, neither of whom can overturn bade penalty call made by another.

Possible solutions:
Disallow trailing ref to make calls aside from behind the play ones.
Introduce coach's challenge.
Allow closer referee to overturn bad penalty call made by the second one (I'd love this, just for drama).
Bring in third referee (maybe not directly on the ice), who would supervise what other two do.

This i like, 3 refs - not so much

Tonight: get in get 2 points, get out... easy :nod:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
two refs can mess up a call as easily as one, but rh has commented in the past that he misses the old days when funny business could go on behind the referee's back. you dont miss it yourself??

Back then even when the ref saw something he would let it go 90% of the time. It was a different era.

The two ref system didn't stop stuff like that. It is the new direction the NHL is going to that is the cause.

I do miss more scrums I admit. They always had a way to create bad blood and get fans into the game and provide an electric atmosphere. I don't miss the hooking and holding.

Go watch some of those old games. I watched a few in the last month on DVD. Its insane. There would be 40 PPs per game now!

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
12 ref system. Each ref gets assigned a player on the ice, and can only call penalties on that player. Then they go sit in the box with that player for 2 minutes and make them feel shame.

Bulletproof.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Rouse is right, that single ref had his head on a swivel looking back, and the two guys would eventually disengage behind the play. Its was 4 on 4 for 30 seconds. Whoopdee doo. I'd think Mario and the powers that desperately want more scoring may actually like that to be left alone.

Of course Dale would start throwing punches when a team had a breakaway :laugh:

Apr 6, 2004
I wonder how far away players skating with microchips in the blades so that when they are off-sides a light would flash for the refs.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
NHL Refs are just plain bad. Can't see a way to resolve that issue. Just what makes the NHL, the NHL.

In regards to the game tonight...

Just ****ing Win!

InfernalDark*

NHL Refs are just plain bad.

Funny how ppl here in Finland are always laughing at our league refs and talking "how good they are in the NHL". :D

300 vCash bet on Caps, u better ****ing win.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Find me a fan of a team in any league in any sport that says "the refs are awesome!" Nobody likes the calls the refs make. Reffing is a thankless job where everything you do is overanalyzed and nitpicked.

superglove39

Mar 29, 2008
Play like they have been playing, and the Caps have a good chance to win their 9th in a row. Ottawa's Anderson has been a tough nut to crack in net, and Ottawa has one of the best win records on home ice. Don't know who will be in net for the Caps, but any chance for a win starts there. This is pretty much a toss up. Go Caps!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad