Series Discussion: Capitals vs Bruins

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just watched Lavy's presser from this morning. He seemed to basically be saying he doesnt want to talk about them(Kuzy and Sammy). He will talk about them tomorrow. I take from that he doesnt have any news that he has in hand for tomorrow, he just doesnt want to talk about them.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I would have to think he's drinking Fosters and ordering from Outback (bloomin' onion to be precise). I've been lead to believe this is all they live on down in Australia.

Put another shrimp on the barbie mate!

Fosters is pretty much reviled throughout Australia as undrinkable. I have never been to Outback in Australia but went a few times in Chicago when I worked in the U.S about 20 years ago.

As for snacks and beverages when watching a 9 AM game - it's just coffee and breakfast. Which is good because no drunken yelling at the TV.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Put another shrimp on the barbie mate!

Fosters is pretty much reviled throughout Australia as undrinkable. I have never been to Outback in Australia but went a few times in Chicago when I worked in the U.S about 20 years ago.

As for snacks and beverages when watching a 9 AM game - it's just coffee and breakfast. Which is good because no drunken yelling at the TV.

Every Aussie I know says this. The Mahi Mahi was pretty good years ago, but I haven't eaten there in years.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Every Aussie I know says this. The Mahi Mahi was pretty good years ago, but I haven't eaten there in years.

Yes it's quite a testament to the power of marketing, isn't it? Foster's is the most famous Australian beer in America, but hardly anybody in Australia drinks it.

I discovered exactly the same thing with Stella Artois after spending time working in Belgium. Belgians don't like Stella and you can see why after trying some of the other fantastic Belgian beers (of which there are many).

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
That game was tense as hell..Gotta admit: B's looked like a more skilled team, Caps looked like a team that wanted it more..Damn you 92, guys can't just win all games on heart alone. If only this guy weren't an unreliable prick he is..

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
What is scheduled for caps today? They have a practice? When lazy speaking? Curious to see the update on samsonov and kuz

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think everyone saw that Laviolette hard-matched the Eller line and the Orlov-Carlson pairing to the Bruins top line, but the extent to which they were matched is pretty staggering. This is the amount of time each Capitals player spent against Brad Marchand at 5v5 (similar numbers against Bergeron and Pastrnak):

upload_2021-5-16_8-11-38.png

14+ minutes for the top pairing and less than 2 each for the remaining 4 D. The Ovechkin line barely saw the top line of Boston (this is good IMO).

The scoring results were obviously good, though Boston's top line still produced a lot of chances and pretty much owned the puck. I don't really know a solution to this one, other than to mitigate their damage and hope to win the other matchups. I'd be a little surprised if Boston's top line doesn't find a way to score a goal or two next game, but hopefully if they do then the Capitals don't allow a soft goal to Boston's 4th line like they did last night.

For what it's worth I thought the Backstrom line did a very good job against the Krejci/Hall/Smith line, and the Capitals generally won the battles against every line but the Bergeron line last night.

I don't know what the Capitals need to do to buy a penalty call next game. Or at least get the linesmen to make correct icing/non-icing calls. Woof last night was embarrassing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think everyone saw that Laviolette hard-matched the Eller line and the Orlov-Carlson pairing to the Bruins top line, but the extent to which they were matched is pretty staggering. This is the amount of time each Capitals player spent against Brad Marchand at 5v5 (similar numbers against Bergeron and Pastrnak):

View attachment 434512

14+ minutes for the top pairing and less than 2 each for the remaining 4 D. The Ovechkin line barely saw the top line of Boston (this is good IMO).

The scoring results were obviously good, though Boston's top line still produced a lot of chances and pretty much owned the puck. I don't really know a solution to this one, other than to mitigate their damage and hope to win the other matchups. I'd be a little surprised if Boston's top line doesn't find a way to score a goal or two next game, but hopefully if they do then the Capitals don't allow a soft goal to Boston's 4th line like they did last night.

For what it's worth I thought the Backstrom line did a very good job against the Krejci/Hall/Smith line, and the Capitals generally won the battles against every line but the Bergeron line last night.

I don't know what the Capitals need to do to buy a penalty call next game. Or at least get the linesmen to make correct icing/non-icing calls. Woof last night was embarrassing.
I think you nailed it -- mitigating the damage is the best they can do against the top line. The Caps do not have a prime Chara/Lidstrom or a Ryan O'Reilly/Sean Couturier that they can use to neutralize them so they'll need to do what they can to make life miserable for them and hope for solid goaltending (and some puck luck).

Speaking of top lines, Ovi-Backstrom-Mantha were terrific. 71% CF, 73% xGF, 92% (!) SCF. Mantha fits this lineup to a T. His combination of size and skill is rare. Would like to see him be assertive and shoot more -- he actually reminds me a lot of Backstrom in how he slows the game down and looks to distribute -- but I think he's the right player for this team. Good to see him get a point in his first playoff game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Watched the replay on NBC. My guess is that NBC is projecting Boston as a deep runner and are using these games to set up their story and identify who their characters are. Everything they said, every one of their produced elements was a Boston bit. Even the Chara bit was just showing him in a B's uni and showing Boston players in relation to him. Lauzon crosschecking Ov was a great play. They had the Boston as the predicted winner first. Sounds like the SN cast was similar.

View attachment 434512

But Carlson is clearly trash on defense. Right? I mean.....RIGHT?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There was a moment late in the game last night where I saw the lightbulb go on in Willy’s head. He was in a corner engaging after a whistle and his head pops up and he skates away as the Bruins try to engage…..

This is how he should play this series….Come out hard and physical early each game, then frustrate them refusing to engage and just skating away every time in the 2nd half of the game.

Piss them off early and let them chase.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Anyone know why the start times for games 3 and 4 are listed as 6:30?

I assume puck drop won't be til 7 at least.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Anyone know why the start times for games 3 and 4 are listed as 6:30?

I assume puck drop won't be til 7 at least.

No I'm pretty sure these are legit 6:30 games. Maybe they won't start until 6:38 or 6:45 or whatever but the listed start times are correct.

It's because they are trying to stagger the TV schedule as much as possible and get some doubleheaders in on NBCSN. WPG and EDM follow at 9 pm EST both nights.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
After watching last night's game, I am worried whoever wins this series won't have anything left for round 2. Rough and tumble game out there last night.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So does anyone have a GOOD angle of the alleged Orlov high stick? Because all I've seen is the view from behind the goal and you can't see the actual contact. You see Pasternak react to the stick going up but it looks like acting to me. Prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad