Friedman: "Capitals very IN on the JT Miller talks"

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The speculative speaking price was a prospect equivalent to Byfield. Which seems believable when you consider New York turned down a demand for Ludqvist to be included in an even bigger package. Of course, we also have the rumors of Colorado backing off when the Canucks insisted on Newhook or Byram being the centerpiece.

Suffice it to say, the price at the end deadline was insanely high. I doubt Rutherford even expected to get packages of that caliber. It was just to set the price high and "come down" in the off season.

Not really, no. If we're trading Miller, we're not competing this year or even next season, realistically. At 27, Mantha wouldn't be all that attractive considering the Caps likely see him as a higher value piece in the trade.

Yeah. I don't really see Mantha doing much for the Canucks. I think he's probably more valuable to the Caps than he is to a team in Vancouver's position.

The Canucks are already looking at options when it comes to trading a much younger version of that "sniper winger" with Boeser. Getting an older and slightly different version of that probably isn't going to be the most enticing "centerpiece" in moving a gritty power forward like Miller that they'd obviously rather keep...if the age and contract phases lined up better with their future plans.

canuckfaithful

Jun 6, 2012
IMO Miller's value was at its highest at the 2022 TDL. He was a two playoff rental at that point. Now it's less. I just don't see any team trading for Miller as more than a rental. And rental values are highest at trade deadlines.
Limited teams involved at the trade deadline. Larger market now in the off-season in the draft. His values as high as it can be. Short of an extension or retention his value could be no higher ever.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Limited teams involved at the trade deadline. Larger market now in the off-season in the draft. His values as high as it can be. Short of an extension or retention his value could be no higher ever.
I guess we will see what the return is now and can compare it to the rumoured Rangers’ offer at the TDL. Of course I hope we can get a better offer now, but I don’t expect it.

Reactions: canuckfaithful

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
locally here in Van, the rumblings are Garland for a Marino and Kapanen base. I havent heard too many Miller to Pitt news lately. though yes it would make sense especially if Canucks want to retain and allow Miller to negotiate extension. He would be a great Malkin replacement.

Sure, I’ll do if Marino & Kapanen as a “base” if you throw in Podkolzin & Schenn.

Black N Gold

Feb 4, 2022
What is Malkin realistically going to cost?

Miller could be had for 2.6 AAV if Canucks retained otherwise 5.2.

I'm unfamiliar with Washington's cap space especially with Bakcstrom going into ltir.

I suspect there will be teams that will be willing to commit long term to Malkin eventhough he is 35, would Washington have the appetite to do that ? Backstrom isnt retiring and is on the hook for 9.2 for 3 more years.

Miller is a swiss Army knife and very durable. He kills penalties, plays top line, and top power play.

I'd say he is more of a playmaker rather than a finisher, although he can do that as well especially around the net.

He has exploded since coming to Vancouver as a 26 yr old....he has 217 pts in his last 202 games
Malkin in a Capitals uniform is blastomas .....If he doesn't re up in Pittsburgh anywhere but Philly or Washington..

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That is absolutely not a better package, what are you talking about?

Marino is a 25 year old #3 defenseman that's signed to a long-term contract. The Rangers would be elated if Lundkvist even ended up that good. Chytil is a 3rd line center who had a bad year, the 1st is a wash and Lundkvist is a good prospect, but that doesn't even sniff a package headlined by an asset on par with Marino.
Chytil having a bad year is news to me. Disappointing regular season? Sure. Dude was absolute money in the playoffs, our most clutch player by far

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It has to be McMicheal coming back which I highly doubt would happen. Washington unfortunately doesn't have a lot of younger players that Allvin should be looking at.

I do however like the idea around Miller for Marino +

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Capitals just want to be competitive until Ovi retires with their window right open with tons of hope.

But I imagine the Canucks want McMichael+ and probably a 1st or two.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It has to be McMicheal coming back which I highly doubt would happen. Washington unfortunately doesn't have a lot of younger players that Allvin should be looking at.

I do however like the idea around Miller for Marino +
Mcmichael, Iorio, lapierre, protas …. All names I wouldn’t mind.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Capitals might be interested but does JT Miller want to come here? Early in his career he was part of Rangers-Capitals -rivalry on the other side. Not sure how much that matters in his decision, could be that it doesn't matter at all but i wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't that interested in spending the rest of his career here. Propably depends on who the other teams on the race are.

No way the Capitals acquire him for a year without an extension.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
As a Caps fan, no problem with giving CMM+ a 1st, if it means Miller is coming back with an extension (would have to be after July 13 and we would be giving up next year's first).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad