Friedman: "Capitals very IN on the JT Miller talks"

bringbacktheblack604

Jun 1, 2022
If Mcmichael is untouchable then im not really sure what could be returned for JT.

The expected return is 1st round pick, top prospect and young roster player.

I guess Caps can go with

1st 2022 ( 20th overall)
1st 2023
3rd round pick

i just dont know if Canucks are willing to take straight draft picks for JT.

Canucks would have no issue allowing Caps to negotiate with Miller after July 13th for an extension before trade.

That would just erase the 20th overall being available as part of the trade as the draft is obviously before July 13th. and July 13th being the first day Miller can sign an extension
Honestly I think the only way he gets traded is for an equal caliber RHD. There are several options to clear cap and he's still under contract,
Unless a team offers a player that makes us better we should keep him and if we aren't a playoff team and re-signing is off the table, move him at 50% retained at the deadline for the standard 1st, prospect type deal.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Does it? Miller for one year might be all the Caps want. Plus, can there be an extension in place before any trade? I think the date for extensions is July 13th, no? So, the Caps would have to wait until after they get Miller to talk extension. I think that's how it works this year???
It's a messed up off season.
If the Caps did trade for Miller it would almost certainly (have to by the Canucks) include 20OA. Not too sure what else though.

As a Canuck fan I'd be more interested in 2023 1st round pick than 20th overall this year.

Also the problem with trade for Miller with the intention of just using him as a year rental is that you would be competing with other teams who's offers will be reflected on an extended Miller.

The insurance, is if Miller is traded to Caps, and Caps poop the bed during regular season, they can unload Miller at the deadline and recoup major assets.

Reactions: Fatass

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Friedman on Miller and Capitals

At 4:13. Far from the “very” in. He’s making guesses as to what the Caps may do and have heard Millers name “connected” among other names. He didn’t even mention other teams circling over Miller- just that their concerned about term. Totally framed the entire segment to fit your narrative.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'm not sure it's safe to assume he would sign an extension with Washington.
Unless of course he's suggested it at some point, which seems unlikely. If he waits a year he should have many options. Hard to imagine there isn't at least some appeal to going that route.
Vancouver is going to want to trade Miller to a team where he is going to sign an extension so they get as many assets as possible back for him.
Simple as that.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'm not sure it's safe to assume he would sign an extension with Washington.
Unless of course he's suggested it at some point, which seems unlikely. If he waits a year he should have many options. Hard to imagine there isn't at least some appeal to going that route.

There's also the appeal of having security and pen to paper with an extension.

What if Miller blows his knee this season? or takes a major concussion injury etc...

It will significantly decrease his next big contract.

Signing an extension after July 13th gives him that security and insurance.

Friedman on Miller and Capitals

At 4:13. Far from the “very” in. He’s making guesses as to what the Caps may do and have heard Millers name “connected” among other names. He didn’t even mention other teams circling over Miller- just that their concerned about term. Totally framed the entire segment to fit your narrative.

What narrative, i tried to summarize and type at same time.

Friendman says teams are circling or lots of chatter with Canucks, Miller to Caps is what he has heard lots of lately after backstrom injury, and that Friedman isnt poking on any Boeser rumors out of respect for what Boeser is going through.

Happy to change the wording with anything that you feel is being misled by my OP

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Vancouver is going to want to trade Miller to a team where he is going to sign an extension so they get as many assets as possible back for him.
Simple as that.
"Vancouver is going to want", "simple as that".
Isn't what Miller wants kind of important too?

What if Miller blows his knee this season? or takes a major concussion injury etc...

Friendman says teams are circling or lots of chatter with Canucks, Miller to Caps is what he has heard lots of lately after backstrom injury, and that Friedman isnt poking on any Boeser rumors out of respect for what Boeser is going through.

Happy to change the wording with anything that you feel is being misled by my OP
Yup some people crave the security. Others have specific circumstances that are more appealing and they test the open market.
I'm not saying it's impossible they extend and trade Miller but is sure isn't safe to assume.

Reactions: UrbanImpact

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Simple as that.
Which teams would be in that circumstance though? Miller will be 30 when his next contract starts.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I know you’re probably spitballing here, but that’s an awful deal for Pittsburgh if he doesn’t sign long term.

A young Top 4 RHD, our best prospect, and a 1st for a guy with 1 year left would be a colossal mistake.

I would be fine Marino and Poulin. Maybe add a 2023 2nd. If they say no then OK.

Miller is from Pittsburgh right? Maybe he signs long term
Damn I never even realized he's from Pittsburgh. Maybe there is going to be some interest.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Simple as that.

exactly and only Miller and probably management by now, knows where those destinations are.

IF i had to guess,

CBJ-
New York/New jersey
Boston
Philly
Washington
Detroit

I dont really think he would be an California, Vegas kinda guy. I could be wrong though.

He has never mentioned any other destination other than wanting to stay in Vancouver and loves the city and living here.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
There would have to be a middle ground because Miller for Marino, POJ and a 1st would not do much for Vancouver either and would probably be out-bid by about 10 teams.

That first will be a late first with Pens having Crosby-Miller down the middle. Marino is nice would love to have him on the team, but him and POJ plus late first would be very underwhelming for Miller. Pitt is a good landing spot for Miller but they have been going all in for so many years they are low on assets in trading for Miller.
I always get a kick out of people diminishing “late 1st’s” in trades like these. Miller has 1 year left and sign/trades are pretty rare.

Can anyone tell me the last time a rental was traded for a top 10, hell even top 15, pick? Like it or not the only teams trading for Miller will have late 1sts

Sure POJ is underwhelming. But take him out. Marino is a young Top 4 RHD, and to suggest a trade with him and our 1st will be outbid seems wrong

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I always get a kick out of people diminishing “late 1st’s” in trades like these. Miller has 1 year left and sign/trades are pretty rare.

Can anyone tell me the last time a rental was traded for a top 10, hell even top 15, pick? Like it or not the only teams trading for Miller will have late 1sts

Sure POJ is underwhelming. But take him out. Marino is a young Top 4 RHD, and to suggest a trade with him and our 1st will be outbid seems wrong

Foligno at age 33 had 7 goals and was traded for a 1st round pick and 4th round pick as a rental.

but youre telling me

Miller 29 yrs old as a rental is only a similar late first and John Marino?

that doesnt add up unless you think Marino carries that much value around the league.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Foligno at age 33 had 7 goals and was traded for a 1st round pick and 4th round pick as a rental.

but youre telling me

Miller 29 yrs old as a rental is only a similar late first and John Marino?

that doesnt add up unless you think Marino carries that much value around the league.
TDL values are different the off season values.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
As a Caps fan im not sure how to feel here.

I dont mind going ”all in” with the picks and prospects but the rumoured pricetag seems very deep especially for us, as we have other holes to fix aswell and a poor inventory of high value tradechips.

In the other hand Miller would be pretty much the best option avaivable to replace Backstrom.

Yeah, as he is 30 it maybe isnt the best time to ”bet on yourself”. Not only the injuries hit you heavier than a 23 year old, but also he could just simply have problems adjusting to new environment and have a slower year. He really havent been this guy outside Vancouver yet.

He is now seen as an over a ppg guy, who hasnt banked the big contract yet. Its time to close it out as soon as possible and guarantee the 40-50 millions he is about to be offered.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
TDL values are different the off season values.

so prices are higher at TDL? ok then Canucks should wait till TDL to trade him.

You honestly think that rival teams who are also in on Miller would not outbid an offer of

late 1st, Marino and POJ for Miller extended or not?

Miller would not be a Canuck today if that's all it would take to trade for him, he would have been traded at the deadline this season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

You honestly think that rival teams who are also in on Miller would not outbid an offer of

Miller would not be a Canuck today if that's all it would take to trade for him, he would have been traded at the deadline this season.
IMO Miller's value was at its highest at the 2022 TDL. He was a two playoff rental at that point. Now it's less. I just don't see any team trading for Miller as more than a rental. And rental values are highest at trade deadlines.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I am highly skeptical that any team would offer a single asset on par with Marino for Miller.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
maybe its just me but that defense is atrocious. Not to mention the goaltending is ???
but lets keep adding more offensive pieces and try to win 8-6 games.
ok....
The defense was more than adequate last year. Jensen-Orlov was one of the top shutdown pairs in the NHL — Orlov remains one of the most underrated defensemen in the league — and TvR dragged Schultz throughout the season. Fehervary has all the tools you want and was rock solid before he got Covid.

My biggest concern about the Caps defense is Carlson. He is a point machine in the regular season but he has one ES point in the playoffs the last four years and his defensive gaffes are bad and frequent.

GMBM essentially guaranteed that goaltending will be addressed.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Honestly I think the only way he gets traded is for an equal caliber RHD. There are several options to clear cap and he's still under contract,
Unless a team offers a player that makes us better we should keep him and if we aren't a playoff team and re-signing is off the table, move him at 50% retained at the deadline for the standard 1st, prospect type deal.
makar ++ i assume.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I am highly skeptical that any team would offer a single asset on par with Marino for Miller.

Theres been many reports that Canucks turned down offer of 1st , Chytil, and Lundqvist for Miller.

That offer alone is 5x better than 1st Marino , POJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad