Friedman: "Capitals very IN on the JT Miller talks"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Theres been many reports that Canucks turned down offer of 1st , Chytil, and Lundqvist for Miller.

That offer alone is 5x better than 1st Marino , POJ.

That is absolutely not a better package, what are you talking about?

Marino is a 25 year old #3 defenseman that's signed to a long-term contract. The Rangers would be elated if Lundkvist even ended up that good. Chytil is a 3rd line center who had a bad year, the 1st is a wash and Lundkvist is a good prospect, but that doesn't even sniff a package headlined by an asset on par with Marino.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
IMO Miller's value was at its highest at the 2022 TDL. He was a two playoff rental at that point. Now it's less. I just don't see any team trading for Miller as more than a rental. And rental values are highest at trade deadlines.

Ok then like said, Canucks should trade him at the deadline as a rental if thats when you think players have most valued.

so if Foligno at 33 yrs old and scored 7 goals got a 1st and a 4th at the TDL

what do you think 29 yr old Miller will get?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ok then like said, Canucks should trade him at the deadline as a rental if thats when you think players have most valued.

so if Foligno at 33 yrs old and scored 7 goals got a 1st and a 4th at the TDL

what do you think 29 yr old Miller will get?
Zero chance (IMO) the Canucks go into next season with Miller unsigned to an extension. He's either signed or traded this summer.

Reactions: David71

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
IMO Miller's value was at its highest at the 2022 TDL. He was a two playoff rental at that point. Now it's less. I just don't see any team trading for Miller as more than a rental. And rental values are highest at trade deadlines.

It's a naive assumption and compmetely ignores how the market is. Miller's 2 yrs remaining put him in a market no other player was in, and based on his production the asking price was likely much too high to garner very much interest. It sounded like there were maybe 2 teams somewhat interested with lowball offers. This off season there will be more GMs pushing to improve their roster and you'll likely see more teams pursue a player like Miller.

Reactions: canuckfaithful

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Marino is a 25 year old #3 defenseman that's signed to a long-term contract. The Rangers would be elated if Lundkvist even ended up that good. Chytil is a 3rd line center who had a bad year, the 1st is a wash and Lundkvist is a good prospect, but that doesn't even sniff a package headlined by an asset on par with Marino.

Like i said, the only way you think Marino for Miller as a base trade is a good trade is if you are very high on Marino, which im personally not. Marino is good not great.

Kravstov was also the guy they mentioned might have been in there instead of Chytil. Regardless, thats a decent offer from NYR which Van turned down.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's a naive assumption and compmetely ignores how the market is. Miller's 2 yrs remaining put him in a market no other player was in, and based on his production the asking price was likely much too high to garner very much interest. It sounded like there were maybe 2 teams somewhat interested with lowball offers. This off season there will be more GMs pushing to improve their roster and you'll likely see more teams pursue a player like Miller.
Well if there is any truth to the rumored Rangers' offer for Miller (Chytil, young D, first) then that's what any return for a trade this summer will be compared.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Donny and Dhali are the Bert and Ernie of the sports world and Vancouver sports media is a joke.

For JT Miller around the league, every GM capable of holding that title is or has enquired about a guy like that with his cap hit.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I know you’re probably spitballing here, but that’s an awful deal for Pittsburgh if he doesn’t sign long term.

A young Top 4 RHD, our best prospect, and a 1st for a guy with 1 year left would be a colossal mistake.

I would be fine Marino and Poulin. Maybe add a 2023 2nd. If they say no then OK.

Miller is from Pittsburgh right? Maybe he signs long term
They might be the Penguins best prospects, but they aren't top prospects.
Miller just had 99 points. It's a tad underwhelming return even for just one year, coming from a neutral fan.

Don't think Pitts has the assets to get Miller with an extension in place, neither do the Caps. If I'm Vancouver, I'd try to get the max value for Miller now, and I think that would be to a team that can retain him. I don't see the Caps or Penguins in this race tbh.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
It's important to note that Miller is coming off of a career season, and it's entirely possible that he never duplicates that success again, which is why it may be in his best interests to sign an extension now, whether it be for the Canucks or another team in a sign and trade. If he follows up this year with a 65 point season or takes a significant injury he may not be able to cash in to the extent he could right now

Reactions: canuckfaithful

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
1655842440244.png

Reactions: MardyBum

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Foligno at age 33 had 7 goals and was traded for a 1st round pick and 4th round pick as a rental.

but youre telling me

Miller 29 yrs old as a rental is only a similar late first and John Marino?

that doesnt add up unless you think Marino carries that much value around the league.
I very clearly stated show an example of a top 10 or top 15 pick being traded for a rental. Not sure what the Folingo trade has to do with anything.

Miller as a rental is absolutely worth a 1st+, but that first is going to be late like every other rental that gets traded

Reactions: Fatass

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I love how every Washington rumor thread turns into a Penguins can offer more or will get them instead thread. lol... obsessed.

Fact is with Backstrom not playing this year and maybe ever again they need to add a 2nd line center. They are also likely moving on from Lars Eller in favor of McMichael at 3C. Lapierre is probably the most realistic prospect piece to offer Vancouver if they want a prospect back. Love the kid but you gotta give to get.

Does the 2nd line center fix it? Absolutely not but it's one of a few pieces we need to put in place this off-season. We need to add a goalie, decide if Samsonov or Vanecek are the backup and trade the other. We need to see if we have an internal replacement for Schultz(Lucas Johansen?) and if not sign someone to cover his spot. We also need to add toughness to cover for Wilson's missed presence(while hoping a prospect like Joe Snivley can replace some of the offense) the first half of the season. A lot going on there but plenty of cap room to make it work. Just got to hope we make the right additions and subtractions because we're going to be looking at a vastly different caps team next year from the tone of our GM after the season ended.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's important to note that Miller is coming off of a career season, and it's entirely possible that he never duplicates that success again, which is why it may be in his best interests to sign an extension now, whether it be for the Canucks or another team in a sign and trade. If he follows up this year with a 65 point season or takes a significant injury he may not be able to cash in to the extent he could right now
Of course it's his best year by far, but even before that he was a ppg player for the past 3 years. It's not like Kadri...

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I know you’re probably spitballing here, but that’s an awful deal for Pittsburgh if he doesn’t sign long term.

A young Top 4 RHD, our best prospect, and a 1st for a guy with 1 year left would be a colossal mistake.

I would be fine Marino and Poulin. Maybe add a 2023 2nd. If they say no then OK.

Miller is from Pittsburgh right? Maybe he signs long term
Miller is from Ohio. Close to Pittsburgh but still Ohio

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Caps are this high on him??? honestly I had no idea he was considered so highly touted like that. And i am not being an ass lol.. thats cool to hear
Yes many of us were upset he was not utilized more this past year. Right now the fan base is not very high on Carlson not saying he is a bad player but his contract no longer meets our needs.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
What is Malkin realistically going to cost?

Miller could be had for 2.6 AAV if Canucks retained otherwise 5.2.

I'm unfamiliar with Washington's cap space especially with Bakcstrom going into ltir.

I suspect there will be teams that will be willing to commit long term to Malkin eventhough he is 35, would Washington have the appetite to do that ? Backstrom isnt retiring and is on the hook for 9.2 for 3 more years.

Miller is a swiss Army knife and very durable. He kills penalties, plays top line, and top power play.

I'd say he is more of a playmaker rather than a finisher, although he can do that as well especially around the net.

He has exploded since coming to Vancouver as a 26 yr old....he has 217 pts in his last 202 games
I really need to start paying attention to Miller then, I hear his name a lot but Vancouver is a black hole related to teams I follow.

I'm not for the Malkin trade theory nor do I believe it will would benefit the Capitals in a way that does not kill them in the long term. To me that makes Miller the more attractive option based off of your perspective.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007

Canucks fan agreeing with you

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like Connor McMichael would have to be going the other way.

Yeah. Looking at the Caps assets, McMichael is pretty much the only thing that actually moves the needle when it comes to a JT Miller trade. And even then, it's not like McMichael has exactly set the world on fire at the NHL level thus far. So you're probably talking about a McMichael +++ somewhat "quantity" heavy package.

I can definitely see why the Caps would be poking around and interested. But it's a bit of a tricky situation to put together a trade package from them that realistically beats what other interested teams could offer the Canucks.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

The speculative asking price was a prospect equivalent to Byfield. Which seems believable when you consider New York turned down a demand for Ludqvist to be included in an even bigger package. Of course, we also have the rumors of Colorado backing off when the Canucks insisted on Newhook or Byram being the centerpiece.

Suffice it to say, the price at the end deadline was insanely high. I doubt Rutherford even expected to get packages of that caliber. It was just to set the price high and "come down" in the off season.

Wonder if Canucks are interested in Mantha as a starter

Not really, no. If we're trading Miller, we're not competing this year or even next season, realistically. At 27, Mantha wouldn't be all that attractive considering the Caps likely see him as a higher value piece in the trade.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I'm not even the biggest fan of Marino tbh, but he's undeniably a better piece at the Canucks most glaring position of need, than anything in that other package.

Honestly, Marino is probably a better asset than any single piece the Rangers or Caps could conceivably put on the table. Schneider from NYR is worth mentioning, but Marino is currently a much better NHL RHS defenceman. A Rangers deal would have to bank heavily on Schneider's upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00