Friedman: "Capitals very IN on the JT Miller talks"

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
My apologies but it just seems all the insiders want to talk about is Miller.

Friedman was just on Donny and Dhaliwal show.

I thought it was note worthy that he mentioned lots of teams are circling in on Miller but he mentioned the Capitals specifically.

-Capitals are very much in on JT Miller sweepstakes as Friendman has heard Miller's name connected with Capitals
- They've turned it up since the Backstrom surgery news

They obviously dont want to waste any years by rebuilding or retooling while they have Ovi and Carlsson

Thoughts?

What are some of Washington's top assets?

Caps have the 20th overall pick this year.

Lets hear some proposals

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I feel like Washington would sooner go after Malkin if he hit UFA than trade for Miller tbh
I think this makes a more sense too. This maybe just more due diligence however ie if Malkin doesn’t work, what other options are out here and at what cost.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I think this makes a more sense too. This maybe just more due diligence however ie if Malkin doesn’t work, what other options are out here and at what cost.
I honestly have not followed Miller very closely, I feel as if the Capitals need a solid, proven replacement for Backstrom though.

Malkin sure seems to be injured a lot and it would be worth it if it worked out but a major rolling of the dice.

I feel like Connor McMichael would have to be going the other way.
That would be a negative.....The Caps fan base would be in the streets if that happened.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I feel like Washington would sooner go after Malkin if he hit UFA than trade for Miller tbh

What is Malkin realistically going to cost?

Miller could be had for 2.6 AAV if Canucks retained otherwise 5.2.

I'm unfamiliar with Washington's cap space especially with Bakcstrom going into ltir.

I suspect there will be teams that will be willing to commit long term to Malkin eventhough he is 35, would Washington have the appetite to do that ? Backstrom isnt retiring and is on the hook for 9.2 for 3 more years.

I honestly have not followed Miller very closely, I feel as if the Capitals need a solid, proven replacement for Backstrom though.

Malkin sure seems to be injured a lot and it would be worth it if it worked out but a major rolling of the dice.

That would be a negative.....The Caps fan base would be in the streets if that happened.

Miller is a swiss Army knife and very durable. He kills penalties, plays top line, and top power play.

I'd say he is more of a playmaker rather than a finisher, although he can do that as well especially around the net.

He has exploded since coming to Vancouver as a 26 yr old....he has 217 pts in his last 202 games

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
maybe its just me but that defense is atrocious. Not to mention the goaltending is ???
but lets keep adding more offensive pieces and try to win 8-6 games.
ok....

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

There would have to be a legit young player with top-6/Top-4 potential going the other way.

Lapierre and McMichael are the only two that really fit that, no?

Protas, Alexeyev, Iorio and maybe even Lapierre are not going to cut it to get a guy like Miller.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Assuming Malkin is even available.

Pretty much every media person seems to think that Malkin isn't coming back to the Penguins for whatever reason.

I actually think Miller to Pittsburgh is a scenario that should get more attention. I could easily see the Penguins offering Marino and futures (probably Marino, Poulin/POJ and a 1st or something like that) to get Miller to replace Malkin.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Caps are this high on him??? honestly I had no idea he was considered so highly touted like that. And i am not being an ass lol.. thats cool to hear

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
There would have to be a legit young player with top-6/Top-4 potential going the other way.

Lapierre and McMichael are the only two that really fit that, no?

Protas, Alexeyev, Iorio are not going to cut it to get a guy like Miller.

for one year of jt miller? nope. for extended jt miller? sure

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If Mcmichael is untouchable then im not really sure what could be returned for JT.

The expected return is 1st round pick, top prospect and young roster player.

I guess Caps can go with

1st 2022 ( 20th overall)
1st 2023
3rd round pick

i just dont know if Canucks are willing to take straight draft picks for JT.

for one year of jt miller? nope. for extended jt miller? sure

Canucks would have no issue allowing Caps to negotiate with Miller after July 13th for an extension before trade.

That would just erase the 20th overall being available as part of the trade as the draft is obviously before July 13th. and July 13th being the first day Miller can sign an extension

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Pretty much every media person seems to think that Malkin isn't coming back to the Penguins for whatever reason.

I actually think Miller to Pittsburgh is a scenario that should get more attention. I could easily see the Penguins offering Marino and futures (probably Marino, Poulin/POJ and a 1st or something like that) to get Miller to replace Malkin.

locally here in Van, the rumblings are Garland for a Marino and Kapanen base. I havent heard too many Miller to Pitt news lately. though yes it would make sense especially if Canucks want to retain and allow Miller to negotiate extension. He would be a great Malkin replacement.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Don't really see fit here

Caps need to get younger and improve D/G as priority

Cap fans care to chime in on why they are in on this?

I don't think they are a Miller away from potentially being back to competing

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
locally here in Van, the rumblings are Garland for a Marino and Kapanen base. I havent heard too many Miller to Pitt news lately. though yes it would make sense especially if Canucks want to retain and allow Miller to negotiate extension. He would be a great Malkin replacement.

Of course that would be the rumbling from Vancouver, because that's great for Vancouver and does nothing for the Penguins.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

I know you’re probably spitballing here, but that’s an awful deal for Pittsburgh if he doesn’t sign long term.

A young Top 4 RHD, our best prospect, and a 1st for a guy with 1 year left would be a colossal mistake.

I would be fine Marino and Poulin. Maybe add a 2023 2nd. If they say no then OK.

Miller is from Pittsburgh right? Maybe he signs long term

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I have to figure Malkin signs a retirement deal with Pittsburgh. He's going to get a ton of interest if he hits UFA though.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Of course that would be the rumbling from Vancouver, because that's great for Vancouver and does nothing for the Penguins.

There would have to be a middle ground because Miller for Marino, POJ and a 1st would not do much for Vancouver either and would probably be out-bid by about 10 teams.

That first will be a late first with Pens having Crosby-Miller down the middle. Marino is nice would love to have him on the team, but him and POJ plus late first would be very underwhelming for Miller. Pitt is a good landing spot for Miller but they have been going all in for so many years they are low on assets in trading for Miller.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
it really depends on if he comes with an extension or not.
Does it? Miller for one year might be all the Caps want. Plus, can there be an extension in place before any trade? I think the date for extensions is July 13th, no? So, the Caps would have to wait until after they get Miller to talk extension. I think that's how it works this year???
It's a messed up off season.
If the Caps did trade for Miller it would almost certainly (have to by the Canucks) include 20OA. Not too sure what else though.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Don't really see fit here

Caps need to get younger and improve D/G as priority

Cap fans care to chime in on why they are in on this?

I don't think they are a Miller away from potentially being back to competing
895 chase.

Organization that knows you don't win anything with 1 good center?

I don't think they are a contender even with Miller but still it's a start. Even of they add Miller they still could improve D/G for next season because Miller's cap hit is reasonable for next season.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Let’s just say I’ll believe it when I see it. I expect that Malkin will re-sign in Pitts and retire a Penguin.
Marino would certainly be a great target though.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I think it's safe to assume that Miller will come with an extension
I'm not sure it's safe to assume he would sign an extension with Washington.
Unless of course he's suggested it at some point, which seems unlikely. If he waits a year he should have many options. Hard to imagine there isn't at least some appeal to going that route.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00