GDT: Capitals @ Rois. 10:30pm EST. 3.20.2014

ryan519*

It's largely this, but there's a visible cascade effect. He's played so well and you can see the team in front of him gaining confidence, playing stronger and more aggressive because they know he's got their backs.

The top 6 are still mostly worthless at ES, though, which has got to change.

Kuz was terrific on that line with Wilson. But it seems lately that any line centered by 19 is where offense goes to die. So he's been less effective since being promoted. Not sure what to think.

Ovie's line has been much better without Backs... and with... Beagle! They have gotten some cycle going and not been such a D liability. Still no goals, but some actual forecheck.

so are we saying oates actually made the right decision breaking up ovie and backstrom and we all jumped too early on him for it?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
so are we saying oates actually made the right decision breaking up ovie and backstrom and we all jumped too early on him for it?

Speak for yourself, lol. My stance for a long time has been that ANYTHING is better than Ovi+Backstrom.

Ovi needs two linemates who will hound the puck like crazy. Skill is a bonus. I still hold out some hope that Ovi+Grabo can work, but if not, Beagle may be one of the better available options.. Ideally might need somebody like Zubrus -- hard-working, but with a bit more skill.

ryan519*

for a while there i thought the chemistry of ovie and backstrom was something you should never break up, but i suppose i was wrong

besides, they're still dynamite on the PP together

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

yes and no.

he made the right choice. but i don't think people jumped on him for splitting them up. it's the use of beagle on the first line that people griped, rightly, about. it's true i said that line's been better with beagle than backs, but i did mention that they are still mostly offensively worthless.

ryan519*

yes and no.

he made the right choice. but i don't think people jumped on him for splitting them up. it's the use of beagle on the first line that people griped, rightly, about. it's true i said that line's been better with beagle than backs, but i did mention that they are still mostly offensively worthless.

if anything, it spreads out what little depth we have, so it cant be all bad

is there any word on grabo's return? he might be the right guy for that first line center role with ovie, and we desperately need him for this final push/possible playoffs

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
if anything, it spreads out what little depth we have, so it cant be all bad

is there any word on grabo's return? he might be the right guy for that first line center role with ovie, and we desperately need him for this final push/possible playoffs

i haven't seen anything in a while. maybe others have more info.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
are you gonna blame oates for everything?

both ovechkin and backstrom arent nearly as good as they used to be it. no coach can change that, only themselves.

Oates is DEFINITELY the problem for Backstrom. The dude is 26, and his game is not predicated on speed or physicality. There is no other reason why he'd be declining. Oates' system instructs you to dump and chase every time down the ice. That is NOT suitable for skilled players like Backstrom and Ovechkin.

I also think Oates is ruining Ovechkin, which is funny to say because he also revitalized him. He's 100% useless on the right wing. Every time he comes into the zone, he's immediately out of space and ends up handcuffed along the boards. It's ****ing stupid that Oates continues to put him at RW when we are so short on LWs and so deep at RW. At least Ovechkin had some moves on the left wing that the defense had to respect. Nobody respects him on the RW. They immediately push up and run him out of real estate. It looks easier than shutting down Aaron Volpatti. There isn't a single move or anything that he can do to solve that other then moving back to LW.

Oates is the problem for EVERY SINGLE even strength offensive woe this team has. Every damn one of them. Take Oates's powerplay with a balanced offense/defense, allowing skilled guys to be creative and grinders to dump and chase, and this team is infinitely better. Allow the defense to actually pressure guys, allow the PK to actually...well...PK. Ovechkin would be a 60G guy, no doubt in my mind. Backstrom would be back to a 20G/70A guy, no doubt in my mind. Green, while not what he used to be, would be extremely effective. Oates ****ing sucks.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It is odd how staunch an advocate Oates is to have Ovi at RW, despite have a RW heavy lineup all year, has not caved and given him a token game at LW. And, our top line being laughable all year, presumed THE worst top line defensively league wide.

It would make a great playoff adjustment, but based on Oates static lines last playoffs, it will not happen.

Ovi Fehr Ward

Opens the door to move Willy up, and countless other options.

Kuz Beagle Wilson
Chimera MJ Brouwer

Oates has a ton of options but handcuffs himself by refusing to shuffle Ovi Brouwer and Ward.

Scoff at Wilson but he may catch Ovi in ES assists in 1/3th the ice time

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
It is odd how staunch an advocate Oates is to have Ovi at RW, despite have a RW heavy lineup all year, has not caved and given him a token game at LW. And, our top line being laughable all year, presumed THE worst top line defensively league wide.

It would make a great playoff adjustment, but based on Oates static lines last playoffs, it will not happen.

Ovi Fehr Ward

Opens the door to move Willy up, and countless other options.

Kuz Beagle Wilson
Chimera MJ Brouwer

Oates has a ton of options but handcuffs himself by refusing to shuffle Ovi Brouwer and Ward.

Scoff at Wilson but he may catch Ovi in ES assists in 1/3th the ice time

I've been saying this for a while. As much as it's great to see OV scoring, he sure seems to be doing most of it from the left side and his linemates have not looked good no matter who they are. The rest of OVs game is also a mess. Put him back on the left where he wants to be, especially with all the other RWs on the roster. I had this lineup suggestion a few days ago:

OV-Grabo-Brow
Kuz-Back-Wilson
Chim-Fehr-Ward
Penner-Latta-Brown
(MoJo, Beagle, Volp, [Laich])

Also, if they re-signed Grabo, I'd move Laich to 4th LW (if a full recovery is expected) and trade MoJo. Otherwise buy-out/LTIR Laich, re-sign Penner (or someone similar) and I'd still move MoJo. There's nothing wrong with the fowards this year (or next year so long as Grabo, or similar talent, is signed) that isn't related to Oates' horrible scheme/system, handedness bull****, or line combo stupidity.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
I agree OV should be put on the left side because he seems to drift over to that area all the time. Also I would like to know what Penner did to deserve PP time. The second unit we had before were doing alot better than we have now. Why would you change now when you need the wins. Why upset the apple cart and play with the players minds this late in the drive for the playoffs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
In Holtby's defense, the D pairings appear to be much better. Hillen-Green, Orlov-Wey>Orlov-Green, Erskine-Carrick. Hillen is smart. He reads the play and more importantly his partner very well. Orlov needs a guy like Wey to stay at home so he can utilize his strengths. The pairings seem to have a much better synergy than before.

The team also seems to be more fluid breaking out and are seemingly being hemmed in their own zone with less frequency than before. And I think it boils down to confidence. The guys look like they expect to win rather than just showing up. They've got a jump in their step that's been absent for seemingly 2 years.

LOL...no.

The team is playing better because their confidence is swelling in front of a solid backstopper.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What Bro said.

And really, did anyone argue seriously that Holtby hasn't struggled this year? Or that you don't need great tending?

The question is whether he's a good goalie, and I still think he is. I think he's had a tough sophomore campaign and crappy coaching when he most needed strong guidance. I have a lot of hope that he will bounce back.

Nope but there was a decent portions of posters here who were willing to throw away potential standings points in saying they thought Holtby should be getting starts right up to a few games after Halak arrived. Now that he's playing very well, nobody in their right mind can dare suggest Holtby should be getting starts. I'd like to see a 2 year extension for Halak, with the short-term benefit being the position is no longer giving away games. Long term, If Holtby's ego can take it, he plays backup next year, probably still getting 25-30 starts, learning what he can from Halak, and hopefully that 2nd contract year for Halak, Holtby pushes him out of the starters spot.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We heard it here first, Jack Hillen, savior of the Washington Capitals. ;)
He's been steadier than Orlov in that spot opposite Green. Plus, Orlov and now Wey on the third pair is miles better than what they were putting out there from a possession standpoint. I don't think there's any question these pairings are the best they've put together all season. It's a low bar but...nonetheless.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I disagree that it's worth debating or trying to find praise for a D corps that sucks overall. I'd rather not waste my time arguing about the varying levels of suck. Marginal uptick from crap to just bad? Waste of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad