GDT: Capitals @ Rois. 10:30pm EST. 3.20.2014

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, if they pull off a point or two in SJ, I would be shocked.

I don't know what to expect of the Caps anymore

Historically and lately they've:

1. Choked when we expect great things
2. Cowboy up down the stretch when their backs are against the wall (07-08 as well as the last 2 seasons)
3. Come up small in big moments when we expect them to compete
4. Display surprising gumption when we expect them to get destroyed

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Nice to see them all finally giving a crap. Joel Ward has been so great this year. Probably Orlov's best game so far. Same with Wilson. Halak was awesome again and looked more in control than even against Anaheim. Not going to begrudge them the loss tonight. Everybody played hard and smart. At least they're on the right track - hopefully it's not too late.

Agree with all of this - but I will begrudge their inability to bring this level of effort and focus in November, December, and January - when points are also available. They're professionals - it shouldn't be necessary to be on the precipice of the abyss before they start playing with some hunger and commitment.

That said, not only is getting the D pairs somewhat righted important here, but splitting up Ovie and Backstrom has been key as well. I think seeing the top line repeatedly get hemmed in and outworked 5 x 5 is deflating for the group as a whole. Instead of mutually reinforcing their defensive shortcomings, Ovie and Backstrom now each have 2 players on their respective lines that will be looking to compensate for their flaws 5 x 5. The group looks more energized with Nick and Ovie split up - and they can still play together on the PP.

But yeezus Ovie - when has that fuggin slow lope side-to-side, come across to your forehand and telegraph-the-crap-out-of-what-you're-gonna-do to the goalie shootout move ever worked for you. I think it's worked once in the last 4 years. His deke to the backhand gets him some goals in the SO, but as other have said - he should just freight train skate at full speed straight down the middle and fire a wrister. His combo of size, speed and power has always been intimidating and a key asset for him - why holster it in the shootout with this fuggin snail's pace curlicue "move".

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Liked what I saw from Chris Brown - willing to bang, good battle level, tought to knock off puck, and generally plays the game hard. He, Wilson and Penner were effective when they were out there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
8 and 19 can't no show if these guys want to make the playoffs...
If McPhee & Oates do stick around then the core has to change I would think. The top six isn't clicking or creating much at even-strength and it's been that way for a while. Oates has done nothing to make them a better 5-on-5, 4-on-4 team so if he stays put it's hard to see where the extra impact comes from in making those two better in particular. Even if they let CalleJo go and improve the defense, I don't see the possession habits there at all. The dump and chase is right back to HunterHockey fundamentally.

Kuznetsov should continue to improve and maybe there's cap room for Grabovski and maybe even upgrading over Johansson at LW but that's still just tweaking if 8/19 are going to be so reliant on the PP to make an impact.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If McPhee & Oates do stick around then the core has to change I would think. The top six isn't clicking or creating much at even-strength and it's been that way for a while. Oates has done nothing to make them a better 5-on-5, 4-on-4 team so if he stays put it's hard to see where the extra impact comes from in making those two better in particular. Even if they let CalleJo go and improve the defense, I don't see the possession habits there at all. The dump and chase is right back to HunterHockey fundamentally.

Kuznetsov should continue to improve and maybe there's cap room for Grabovski and maybe even upgrading over Johansson at LW but that's still just tweaking if 8/19 are going to be so reliant on the PP to make an impact.

I still find it hard to believe after the dominance this team showed for about a 3 year span playing extremely creative hockey was junked for the trash we've seen.

You would think Oates, being an elite offensive player, would be more like BB and less like DH but more and more I don't get that sense. He's just a mediocre mix of the two.

But I'm biased. I don't want to be like the Kings and Blues. I just don't like watching that kind of structured hockey even tho they do hit alot. Personally I like my hitting and fighting to go along with run n gun hockey with tempo.

Caps fans were stuck watching not only the team choke but play a boring style throughout the 80s and 90s. Dump, chase, trap, play D, play some more D and choke.

If we are going to choke anyhow I prefer we choke in style

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Is Brown actually a center? Or is this another case of throwing someone out there?

I have no idea why they won't call up Latta.

Penner-Latta-Brown (or change the friggin order) is the 4th line I want.

With Chim-Fehr-Ward playing like they've been that's a real nice bottom 6.

Moving OV back to LW would make the top 6 better...

OV-Grabo-Brow
Kuz-Back-Wilson

(MoJo, Beagle, Volp, [Laich])

Yeah, I put MoJo on the bench with Grabo gets back. He's not a ****ing winger.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I think this was one of the better games they've played and just couldnt get it done against Quick who made some wonderful saves.

The only thing I didnt like was the lazy SO attempts by our so-called leaders. If Ovi and Backstrom look any less interested in taking a shootout, they'd be asleep. Learn something from the new kid and its time to give some people other than Ovi a chance at the SO. He is 2 for 15 this year...get him out of there.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Have missed the last few games. Is it Halakian efforts that the Caps are snagging some points?

Is it Kuz?

Is is better coaching?

Has Penner gotten a single point since becoming a Cap?

Thanks!

ryan519*

Have missed the last few games. Is it Halakian efforts that the Caps are snagging some points?

Is it Kuz?

Is is better coaching?

Thanks!

yea penner made a real pretty assist to ward against toronto and nearly scored last night, but quick was a brick wall in net

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Is it Kuz?

Is is better coaching?

Thanks!

It's largely this, but there's a visible cascade effect. He's played so well and you can see the team in front of him gaining confidence, playing stronger and more aggressive because they know he's got their backs.

The top 6 are still mostly worthless at ES, though, which has got to change.

Kuz was terrific on that line with Wilson. But it seems lately that any line centered by 19 is where offense goes to die. So he's been less effective since being promoted. Not sure what to think.

Ovie's line has been much better without Backs... and with... Beagle! They have gotten some cycle going and not been such a D liability. Still no goals, but some actual forecheck.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's largely this, but there's a visible cascade effect. He's played so well and you can see the team in front of him gaining confidence, playing stronger and more aggressive because they know he's got their backs.

The top 6 are still mostly worthless at ES, though, which has got to change.

Kuz was terrific on that line with Wilson. But it seems lately that any line centered by 19 is where offense goes to die. So he's been less effective since being Not sure what to think.

Ovie's line has been much better without Backs... and with... Beagle! They have gotten some cycle going and not been such a D liability. Still no goals, but some actual forecheck.

Halak has been a big difference. He's stopping almost all of the shots he's supposed to and a lot of the ones he's not. Not much more you can ask for.

I think the biggest difference is the secondary scoring has picked up. Ward has scored in 4 straight games, Brouwer looks like the guy we need him to be, Kuzya has been terrific. The PP is doing it's job but our depth guys are finally coming through.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Glad to see people coming around to the idea of stronger goaltending. It's so much nicer to give up 2 goals a game vs 4.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Glad to see people coming around to the idea of stronger goaltending. It's so much nicer to give up 2 goals a game vs 4.

In Holtby's defense, the D pairings appear to be much better. Hillen-Green, Orlov-Wey>Orlov-Green, Erskine-Carrick. Hillen is smart. He reads the play and more importantly his partner very well. Orlov needs a guy like Wey to stay at home so he can utilize his strengths. The pairings seem to have a much better synergy than before.

The team also seems to be more fluid breaking out and are seemingly being hemmed in their own zone with less frequency than before. And I think it boils down to confidence. The guys look like they expect to win rather than just showing up. They've got a jump in their step that's been absent for seemingly 2 years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

In Holtby's defense, the D pairings appear to be much better. Hillen-Green, Orlov-Wey>Orlov-Green, Erskine-Carrick. Hillen is smart. He reads the play and more importantly his partner very well. Orlov needs a guy like Wey to stay at home so he can utilize his strengths. The pairings seem to have a much better synergy than before.

The team also seems to be more fluid breaking out and are seemingly being hemmed in their own zone with less frequency than before. And I think it boils down to confidence. The guys look like they expect to win rather than just showing up. They've got a jump in their step that's been absent for seemingly 2 years.

What Bro said.

And really, did anyone argue seriously that Holtby hasn't struggled this year? Or that you don't need great tending?

The question is whether he's a good goalie, and I still think he is. I think he's had a tough sophomore campaign and crappy coaching when he most needed strong guidance. I have a lot of hope that he will bounce back.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Players struggle from time to time. Confidence comes and goes. They go on extended hot streaks and they go on extended cold streaks. He'll be fine.

That's common knowledge. I'm not talking about streaks, he just isn't the same player 5-on-5 he used to be. Throughout this season and last season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know what to expect of the Caps anymore

Historically and lately they've:

1. Choked when we expect great things
2. Cowboy up down the stretch when their backs are against the wall (07-08 as well as the last 2 seasons)
3. Come up small in big moments when we expect them to compete
4. Display surprising gumption when we expect them to get destroyed

two things. its pro sports. no team is easy to beat and no team is unbeatable.

The team has too much pride to let themselves fail in a playoff race. They have no long term rep for failing at that. In fact this current bunch always rise to the task and they all know it. they are confident.

In the playoffs, the opposite is true. they have a long and well earned rep as chokers. when they make the playoffs and start to do well, the media gets the monkey out of the closet and brings it the practice and leaves it. its a weight that is real and which beats them down.

right now? this road trip? they are determined and they know they can make the playoffs. they probably will.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In Holtby's defense, the D pairings appear to be much better. Hillen-Green, Orlov-Wey>Orlov-Green, Erskine-Carrick. Hillen is smart. He reads the play and more importantly his partner very well. Orlov needs a guy like Wey to stay at home so he can utilize his strengths. The pairings seem to have a much better synergy than before..

The pairings are not that much better if at all. Hillen played 20 plus the other night. He is not a 20 plus defenseman. He has the advantage of being fresh. That's about it. He lets Green play his game better than Orlov but Green was covering for Orlov and as a defensive player Green is more accomplished than Hillen.

Wey isn't an NHL player. Yes, he might be better than Carrick but a near rookie and a bone rookie together is not a good thing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The pairings are not that much better if at all. Hillen played 20 plus the other night. He is not a 20 plus defenseman. He has the advantage of being fresh. That's about it. He lets Green play his game better than Orlov but Green was covering for Orlov and as a defensive player Green is more accomplished than Hillen.

Wey isn't an NHL player. Yes, he might be better than Carrick but a near rookie and a bone rookie together is not a good thing.

So like I said, the pairings are better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad