GDT: Capitals @ Rois. 10:30pm EST. 3.20.2014

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Chalk up another loss thanks to Adam Oates.

Just keep marching Ovi out there, Adam. It has worked so splendidly this season, you ****ing jackass.

ryan519*

crucial point nonetheless.

Ovie should just do what grabo did in that penalty shot againt lundqvist a while back, slap shot right in front of quick

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Ovechkin needs to learn the game. He has the best shot in the league and routinely goes wide or tries to backhand it. It's bad.

ryan519*

If they play like that the next 11 games they will make the playoffs.

i agree, but how many times have we said this after they play a great game. too much inconsistency to keep this kind of play up, but i hope im wrong down the stretch. a solid game against the sharks and finishing this west coast trip on a good note would probably be huge in giving them the boost to play hard for the rest of the season and make the playoffs. and halak is going to have to keep having strong outings

they've definitely seemed motivated so far on this trip

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Nice to see them all finally giving a crap. Joel Ward has been so great this year. Probably Orlov's best game so far. Same with Wilson. Halak was awesome again and looked more in control than even against Anaheim. Not going to begrudge them the loss tonight. Everybody played hard and smart. At least they're on the right track - hopefully it's not too late.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Just back from the game. Bummer that we lost, especially when we had the golden opportunity of 4-on-3 PP in OT. Overall, we played a good game. I thought Orlov, Hillen, Wilson, Kuzya and Halak all played well.

As annoying as it is to see beagle as Ovie's center, #8 did get a couple grade-A chances tonight, and his line once again successfully cycled the puck a time or two. And didn't give up any goals against. Which was greatly appreciated.

Penner had two very good chances. Would've been awesome to see him bury one, given the amount of crap he was getting from the fans around me.

LA is such a mellow crowd. You can scream 'Let's Go Caps' all night, and no one cares.

Doughty was chirping Wilson, and Wilson was giving it right back to him. Ovie was kicking himself after a couple of his misses.

Are the Flyers or Blue Jackets ever gonna lose?? We aren't making up any ground at all, even though we have started to play better.

Oates was nice to my kid. Gave him a little head nod from other side of the glass, just as the game was getting underway. My kid was also excited to reach down and give the Caps high-fives as they headed down tunnel, esp. #8. Definitely a dream come true for my guy.

How did Chris Brown look on TV? I didn't notice him much, for good or ill. I'm rooting for him, though.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Solid effort for the Caps tonight. Hate I'm GM's comments about more wins with quality goal tending all you want. Loss @ Chicago and a few other close games off the top of my head IMO were winnable if we got goalie play like this.

I like Holtby but he's **** the bed too many times this year and I hope this motivates him to become better.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Seems like 19 has been getting a lot of penalties lately.

From up close, Wilson definitely looks like an impact player. Not just the hitting, but the overall energy level and the heavy forecheck. God, he almost picked Doughty's pocket and stuffed one under Quick. Would have been extra sweet since Doughty had just been trolling him a few minutes earlier.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Just back from the game. Bummer that we lost, especially when we had the golden opportunity of 4-on-3 PP in OT. Overall, we played a good game. I thought Orlov, Hillen, Wilson, Kuzya and Halak all played well.

As annoying as it is to see beagle as Ovie's center, #8 did get a couple grade-A chances tonight, and his line once again successfully cycled the puck a time or two. And didn't give up any goals against. Which was greatly appreciated.

Penner had two very good chances. Would've been awesome to see him bury one, given the amount of crap he was getting from the fans around me.

LA is such a mellow crowd. You can scream 'Let's Go Caps' all night, and no one cares.

Doughty was chirping Wilson, and Wilson was giving it right back to him. Ovie was kicking himself after a couple of his misses.

Are the Flyers or Blue Jackets ever gonna lose?? We aren't making up any ground at all, even though we have started to play better.

Oates was nice to my kid. Gave him a little head nod from other side of the glass, just as the game was getting underway. My kid was also excited to reach down and give the Caps high-fives as they headed down tunnel, esp. #8. Definitely a dream come true for my guy.

How did Chris Brown look on TV? I didn't notice him much, for good or ill. I'm rooting for him, though.

That is really cool. I like hearing those kind of stories. I liked what I saw of Brown. I hope he can find some success here.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Solid effort for the Caps tonight. Hate I'm GM's comments about more wins with quality goal tending all you want. Loss @ Chicago and a few other close games off the top of my head IMO were winnable if we got goalie play like this.

I like Holtby but he's **** the bed too many times this year and I hope this motivates him to become better.

It sure is nice to have a goalie get stronger as the game goes on rather than worry he'll open the floodgates after giving up a softie.

What's Halak's save% per period on this team so far? I'd put a rough guess at .905/.920/.960.

Also goes to show that even with our ****** defense, a good goalie can make a difference. He's giving up almost a full goal less per game than Holtby.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
i expected, i mean hoped for 4 points in this anaheim, los angeles, san jose, los angeles, boston stretch and we've got 3 already. alright!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Someone explain how the Kings style allows them to not take penalties? And don't say coaching because that is BS, i've seen penalties not called tonight all over the place.

Have you ever wondered why most Selke candidates come from the West?

Western teams have different rules. So much hooking and grabbing going on that it's ridiculous. In that Orlov rush where he was 1-on-1 on Doughty first Doughty grabbed him from his shirt to prevent him from going past him and behind the net he grabbed his arm again to slow him down. :laugh:

Anyways it was a very good performance, as they pretty much dominated the 3rd and OT but just didn't get the win. Still 3 points more right now than i expected from this road trip.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I fell asleep after the first period. (Bad Caps fan!) I read the box score this morning and was pleased to realize Caps have 3 out of 4 possible points so far. And this on the road trip that was supposed to spell out DOOM.

After reading through the SO notes, I have to wonder why Oates didn't choose Fehr. I adore Ovie, but the shootout does not love him this year.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA

Great story! Thanks for sharing. :D

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
@BCF Yep the rink looked tiny, I think the camera was closer and lower than we are used to. It was a refreshing change, like being in the lower bowl. The Kings looked big. It was Boston Garden like.

The Kings looked big and fast, and knew how to work the refs/system. They didn't look boring to me. Played smart, raising up their arms as pinning us on the boards as already noted. Doe boy trying to goad Wilson by chirping at him, why not try.

But apparently Kuz saved the day, as us worthless and weak slept. There is more to passing than the pass itself. A lesson for many top 6 caps. It's keeping the puck moving so you don't telegraph your lane, and give the play time to develop. Its not hard to back and forth it, and move the feet. The pass itself is the easy part since you don't rely on pass speed / arrogance alone to beat a defenders stick. Hypnotize with a hockey stick, things I don't even see Nick do, also, snap passes, crush it. I love how he went back to the forehand at THE last moment to Wardo. 3ES assists in 6 games. To compare, Laich has 4 in 51, Troy 7 in 71, Ovi 9 in 67. It would seem like you could luck into those lame duck numbers with their TOI.

Quick looked frozen vs Kuz in the shootout. Another active stick victim.

Orlov looked excellent, on the skill level of the Kings. It would not surprise me to hear the Kings come calling to see if he is available. Probably try and peddle Sarge back to George. Poor George.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Who is better than OV then? MJ? Brouwer? Ward? There is no other option while Grabo is injured. OV should learn to do something.

Fehr for sure. He's something like 5 for 6 or 6 for 7 this year. Same move every time, swoop in to the right side of the goal and stuff it 5 hole or over the glove depending on how the goalie is playing it.

Edit: Also, the Rangers and Leafs seem to be our best bets now. Toronto has 3 more points but has looked dreadful lately. They play against Montreal tomorrow. NYR plays against Columbus tonight -- just hope it's not the dreaded 3 point game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad