Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Another two goals from Priskie last night. They've definitely got to find a way to make room for him in the system, even if they're already going to be adding Alexeyev to the pro pipeline next season. I figure they could stand to let Ness move on after this season and maybe give Lewington a shot elsewhere should a team value his grit/defensive play to a greater extent. Colby Williams is also RFA and shouldn't be blocking anyone. They're going to face a crunch sooner or later but for next season they ought to be fine. If they can get strong value for Johansen or Hobbs maybe it's worthwhile but there's no rush yet.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Orpik retiring/moving on should free up one slot, presumably for Siegenthaler (although it wouldn't be shocking if LuJo or maybe even Alexeyev leapfrogs him). I think the franchise values having a player like Ness in the system, both in terms of what he brings at the AHL level and providing a “veteran” depth option. Maybe not Ness specifically, but I’d be surprised if they don’t have one more seasoned blue liner in the Hershey lineup.

Going to be in Washington this week, but it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to cut out time to watch the Silvertips (Sutter) play. :(

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They could keep Ness, sure. There's still enough room for that if Siegenthaler does indeed take over for Orpik. They could run something like Johansen-Hobbs (essentially vets if they're not with the Caps IMO), Alexeyev-Lewington and then Ness-Priskie with Geisser/Bindulis as extras. Fehervary is the interesting case but it makes sense to keep him in the SHL another season. They'll also have some tough calls to make with Sutter & Clark. As late birthdays both could turn pro next season. I figure Sutter turns pro but after a slow start Clark looks to be picking it up.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Gday all, just wondering how Samsanov [mod] has been looking this year - one of the players i was most interested in at the start of the season. Anyone seen him play regularly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Lol, sounds like half of you would trade him for a half eaten pie and a rusty spoon!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They could keep Ness, sure. There's still enough room for that if Siegenthaler does indeed take over for Orpik. They could run something like Johansen-Hobbs (essentially vets if they're not with the Caps IMO), Alexeyev-Lewington and then Ness-Priskie with Geisser/Bindulis as extras. Fehervary is the interesting case but it makes sense to keep him in the SHL another season. They'll also have some tough calls to make with Sutter & Clark. As late birthdays both could turn pro next season. I figure Sutter turns pro but after a slow start Clark looks to be picking it up.

Johansen and Hobbs would be relative vets from an AHL perspective, but I meant that the Capitals would prefer to have on NHL "veteran" in the pipeline as a call-up option. They've usually had at least one depth guy with a decent chunk of NHL experience (Ness, Stanton, Strachan, etc). Especially with what is likely to be a relatively young 5-8 at the NHL level, I expect at least one more seasoned depth option in the pipeline. Could be Ness, could be someone else.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
Chase was a 2016 draft pick of the Caps. Hes a senior captain at Quinnipiac University, and hes currently on pace for 27 goals. As a defenseman.

Do we have a steal for the Caps? Anyone seen this guy play?

upload_2018-12-5_10-16-32.png

Sep 19, 2008
Shumakov was put on unconditional waivers today. Curious about him because the hype on him was so big with what he had done in the KHL. Caps fans were very excited when the Caps got his rights, but he found his way to Hershey rather quickly to develop and has done so-so there.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Shumakov was put on unconditional waivers today. Curious about him because the hype on him was so big with what he had done in the KHL. Caps fans were very excited when the Caps got his rights, but he found his way to Hershey rather quickly to develop and has done so-so there.

Shumakov tallied three goals, four points, and a +3 rating in 10 games in Hershey this season. Thats not atrocious so can anyone who saw him play provide more color? Maybe he asked to go home?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Shumakov was +3 and all other top9 forwards are somewhere between -5 and -10. How does these unconditional waivers work? Can we get say a 2nd round draft pick from a team if he is claimed?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That's just dumb. You brought him over, he broke his hand(not his fault) and so you put him on waivers even before calling him up to play a few games?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
That's just dumb. You brought him over, he broke his hand(not his fault) and so you put him on waivers even before calling him up to play a few games?

I'd guess there's more behind the scenes that brought this on. Again maybe he said he wanted to go home? Or maybe he was a major prick during his injury rehab? Who knows?

But I tend to agree it should not have been based on his 10 game sample on ice. That would have been dumb.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I figured he thought if they would use him when Oshie and Wilson are out the opportunity isn’t here

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Part of what occurred in Hershey is inconsistency as most games he's a non-factor. He's also been rumored to want to return to the KHL.

Walker, Barber, Sgarbossa, OBrien, Gersich, and Malenstyn have all shown to be better forwards currently.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
You have to have a players permission to be put on waivers? What if the player says no? :naughty:
(I admit I don't know much about the waiver business.)

NHL contracts $$$ amounts are guaranteed, therefore a player would have to agree to unconditional waivers for the purposes of terminating the contract. not to be confused with the standard waiver wire transaction for the purposes of player reassignment.

Reactions: Silky mitts

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Hey guys, FLA fan coming in peace...
Sounds like our AHL affiliate just signed Shumakov to a try-out; any ideas what happened with your team? Is it possible he wants to play in the NHL and there's no spot on the Capitals?
Has he been any decent in the AHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad