Seravalli: Capitals have openly engaged teams about Kuznetsov and Mantha

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
So what is Mantha's deal? He used to be a hot commodity as a big goal scoring winger but has put up really poor goal numbers in Washington. Seems like a good buy low candidate if Washington would take back some salary (short term/1 year) or retain on his cap hit.
We are not sure, his mental health coach is helping him work through it if that tells you anything.

Dude gets a break away, panics and just gives up. Does not use his size at all and kind of just skates around like he is lost on the ice. The 1st sign of possible physical contact and he gives up.

I don't think he is reclamation project for the new coach, it is more "well we can't trade him so lets pretend he can get better and say nice things to lighten the blow"

I don't see any hope for Mantha, i do not believe he is NHL talent. I'm not even sure he is AHL talent.

I want him off the Caps roster but understand why no teams want him. Caps are either stuck with him or going to fleece some hopeful GM and fan base. Perfect candidate for a buy out but that should be used on Backstrom.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Does not use his size at all and kind of just skates around like he is lost on the ice. The 1st sign of possible physical contact and he gives up.
Ironically he looks his best (and borderline dominant on the forecheck) when he's engaged physically... why he doesn't play like that more often is anyone's guess.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
how much are the Capitals retaining and what are they adding? That is almost 7.5 million of negative value between the two of them
Kuznetsov is not negative value, if anything he negates Mantha's negative value. Watch if Kuzy is traded he will explode and everyone in the NHL will wish they got him.

I'd just as soon keep him but realize he is the key to getting rid of Mantha

If if I were another team I trade for them both and then use my buy out on Mantha

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Just because he may explode with another team doesn’t mean he isn’t a negative value. He was really, really bad last year
He was on the Capitals who were really bad last year and made it clear he wanted to be traded two years ago. He is mailing it in and collecting a check on the Caps to force a trade. The Capitals realize his talent and were hoping he would change his mind about the trade.

Honestly I don't blame him

I have a suspicion he had a falling out with Ovie over Sammy and things have not been the same since.

It is a read between the lines kind of thing. Players tend to not be happy when they ask for a trade and two years go by and nothing happens. They should if the problem that caused the trade request is not addressed.

I'd do the same thing, don't put yourself at risk, do the bare minimal and collect a check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad