Seravalli: Capitals have openly engaged teams about Kuznetsov and Mantha

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Whats the deal with mantha? I thought he was going to be a really good player when he came into the league, great size, skill. What happened? (Other than seeming to be totally injury prone.)

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So, Hawks give away a prospect who had a great 1st year in NCAA for the honor of taking on shitty player in Mantha.

1st season in Denver

32 GP
10 G
22 A
32 pts

Counteroffer

To :hawks
W Anthony Mantha (1 x $5.7M)
Caps 2023 2nd (40th overall)
Bruins 2025 2nd

To :caps
W Mike Hardman (1 x $800k)
Future considerations

Caps get $5.7M in cap room and cheap 4th liner/AHL guy while Hawks get yet another 2nd for this years draft (Potential trade chip) and a future 2nd to stock cupboard for future.
Mantha does not require two 2nds to move (including 40th Overall) and Hardman is absolutely worthless. This is not something WSH will do.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Washington:
Mantha
40th Overall

For
Montreal:
69th.
Chris Tierney(simply a contract that runs out, so teams have same amount of contract spots)

Assuming the Habs don't get PLD. They could still do it, but it would be tight.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Washington:
Mantha
40th Overall

For
Montreal:
69th.
Chris Tierney(simply a contract that runs out, so teams have same amount of contract spots)

Assuming the Habs don't get PLD. They could still do it, but it would be tight.
I think if they take Mantha, it's a Monahan type arrangement. Cap hit is about the same. There is a chance the Habs might pick a goalie at 69th. There is an organizational need. At first glance, there seems to be some good ones available in the 3rd round (Hrabal, Augustine?)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Fair question, as a Caps fan that was my first thought too

Really? I'm surprised I thought Caps fans would be against that, I just don't see him having a lot of trade value.

I do think there is some market for him because he is big, and he has skill it's not like he can't play.

I actually wonder if that's a guy Treliving targets if he's bought or the caps retain 50%

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Capitals <-- Miller, Garland

Canucks <-- Kuznetsov, Mantha
Miller is the best player in that trade. No way Canucks will trade him for that headcase Kuznestov lol

Kuzy for Boeser

Kuznestov will play next to Kuzmenko. Then Canucks would just need one more Kuz player to make their KKK line, where all three don't wear pride jerseys lol

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Wings should take Mantha back. He cost nothing.
Mantha has negative value to a team with his attitude. Skill is there, but he constantly looks disengaged and unhappy. Like someone owes him something. Not willing to work hard. Entitled. Sure, if he has some picks or prospects attached, he could be aquired and then put on LTIR or sent to Arizona.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Mantha's value is at its absolute lowest, but it's also been repeatedly reported that the Caps aren't considering adding sweeteners and/or retaining in order to facilitate a trade. (They're also not considering buying him out.) If they can't find a "player with warts" trade to be made, the most likely option is they'll just keep him and hope he plays better during a contract year while also under a new coach, who will put him in a position to succeed (including regular linemates and PP2 time).

Mantha's absolutely earned his rep as a disengaged player who has all the size/tools but none of the heart/effort, but he was also completely mismanaged by Lavi last year, which made things much, MUCH worse.

Reactions: Stan Galiev

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Really? I'm surprised I thought Caps fans would be against that, I just don't see him having a lot of trade value.

I do think there is some market for him because he is big, and he has skill it's not like he can't play.

I actually wonder if that's a guy Treliving targets if he's bought or the caps retain 50%
Oh don't get me wrong, I would be against that much but Mantha ain't going to move himself so I realize we don't get to move him for free.

Whomever gets Kuznetsov will more than likely see a better Kuznetsov than his past play on the Caps so he would cost a team. I'm pretty sure the Caps ticked him off to the point where he no longer takes the team seriously.

If I were a bottom feeder team in the league, i would 100% gun for Kuznetsov. I think Caps fans will be shocked to see what he is really capable of after he leaves.

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
The smart play would be Mantha for a 2nd at the deadline. Its a contract year and he will be highly motivated.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Whoever gets Kuznetsov better have a strong leadership group. I could see the Penguins making sense for him tbh Crosby isn't letting his habits impact the team and could make him refocus
I don't know, he might be a bad influence on Malkin.
On the other hand, another Russian for Geno might be nice.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
The smart play would be Mantha for a 2nd at the deadline. Its a contract year and he will be highly motivated.

I said something like this earlier. Someone should trade a 4th for him now and put him on their PP he will be a 20-25 goal scorer again. He led Detroit in PP goals twice, he needs that. Then flip him at the deadline for a 2nd or hell maybe even a 1st.

He doesn't and won't get significant PP time in Washington

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I'm sure some team with cap space will jump on him. If you stick him in your top 6 and he stays relatively healthy then he could net a decent return at the deadline.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I remember stretches of time when Mantha tried on the wings. He absolutely dominated. too bad those were few and far in between.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Wings will take Kuzy for a 2nd rounder, can eat his full cap hit next 2 years gives time for Kasper or whoever we draft at 9 (moore/Dvorsky) to develop. Copp aint it at 2nd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad