Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Devils - 4/4/14 7:00 PM Caps Lose 2-1

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I mean yeah, it is tough to win scoring only one goal but you should be able to win some of the time with 2.

Winning percentage usually goes up noticeably at 3 goals or more but yeah that's almost 0% when scoring less than 3. Terrible. I can guarantee you Hanlon's record in that stat was better, because I think I calculated it back then.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not to mention that we've already logged 50 games w/ 2 goals or fewer under Oates. He hasn't been here long.

He's been here for roughly 125 games, give or take the playoffs (not sure if that stat counts the playoffs and the multiple shutouts then). I'd hazard a guess that 50 games of being held to two or less is probably pretty close the league average, considering only 5.51 goals are scored per game (for both teams).

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
1-41-8?

LOL. That's really all I can say. LOL. Even Bruce "Run 'n' Gun" Boudreau probably had a record 50x better than that with us when scoring less than 3.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
There's really not much to say anymore.

George, your two prized rookies and your big deadline forward acquisition got nothing more than token ice time. How does that make you feel?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Seriously, the ****ing Devils score keeper is the worse when it comes to hits.

According to them, Ovechkin only had 2 hits tonight.

changeiskonstant

Oct 21, 2008
There's really not much to say anymore.

George, your two prized rookies and your big deadline forward acquisition got nothing more than token ice time. How does that make you feel?

More importantly, what GM doesn't go to his coach before the deadline to get input on what the team needs?

With Penner getting the Erat treatment, it makes no sense whatsoever to see him get that kind of icetime. Do they not (at least) want to take a good look at him to see if he's worth re-signing? Was he not good enough for Oates on a roster well-stocked with underachievers? If it's the latter, then who the hell is actually in control of this team?

Oates doesn't seem to have the players, McPhee doesn't seem to have Oates, and Ted's phone probably goes straight to voicemail at this point.

I'm down for just about anything at this point, as long as it's action. These "system is working as intended" excuses only work while your product is still pretty good.

And good luck on free agency deals with the roster cluster**** that this administration has been projecting for the last 2 seasons.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Oh well, the script it written for our next coach to move Ovi to LW to revitalize his career.

How nice that will be for the next coach! All he has to do is not be a complete imbecile when it comes to line combos and he buys himself 30-82 games of respect, depending on the results.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Dude, they've been playing Beagle in the top 6 over Kuzya for several games. THE TANK IS ON!

I figured Oates out of desperation may have turned to Bruce's playbook to turn the season around. Instead, he took a page out of Dale's playbook. Who mind you, didn't have Grabo and for a lot of his time here, Nick.

One could argue using so many young D all year, and trying to reinvent aka tank goaltending at the same time, that the tank construction has been happening for some time. When our top players see stunts like that, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I figured Oates out of desperation may have turned to Bruce's playbook to turn the season around. Instead, he took a page out of Dale's playbook. Who mind you, didn't have Grabo and for a lot of his time here, Nick.

One could argue using so many young D all year, and trying to reinvent aka tank goaltending at the same time, that the tank construction has been happening for some time. When our top players see stunts like that, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, I'd have loaded up on three lines and played the hell out of them, run-n-gun style. It's not like we're playing much Defense anyway. Instead we get Jay Beagle with major minutes. There are two explanations for this: Oates is galactically stupid or he's tanking.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He's been here for roughly 125 games, give or take the playoffs (not sure if that stat counts the playoffs and the multiple shutouts then). I'd hazard a guess that 50 games of being held to two or less is probably pretty close the league average, considering only 5.51 goals are scored per game (for both teams).

Maybe, maybe not. Buffalo is the worst team in the league in many ways, including GF/G. At 1.8 goals per game they're dead last in the league and fully a half goal behind the next team. For comparison, Anaheim leads at 3.2 which should tell you how big a difference a half goal makes.

If the guy who came up with that stat for Oates was only counting regulation and OT goals, then his stats compare to mine. But if he was just looking at the scoreboard and counting a 3-x shootout win as 3 goals scored, then they're not directly comparable.

And in fact, just looking at this seasons record I already see this 1-41-8 stat is misleading. It would add a handful of games to the stat and a handful of wins.

Just doing this season:

This year I count 36 games for the Caps with 2 goals or less in regulation and OT. Their record in those games is 4-28-4, with all the wins coming in shootouts.

Buffalo are dead last in the league by 12 points. In 77 games this season Buffalo has scored 2 goals or fewer in regulation or OT something like 53 times. Their record in those games is 8-41-4 with 5 of the wins in shootouts.

For the top of the league, Anaheim, I count 31 games this season at 2 goals or less reg/ot. Their record in those games is 8-18-5 with 2 of the wins coming from shootouts.

FWIW.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The takeaway here is this is the Caps don't win close, low-scoring games often, and when they do it's via shootout (most of which were very early in the season). Meanwhile even the worst team in the league can squeak out a few close ones.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
@AdamVingan: After losing 2-1, the #Caps are now 1-41-8 when scoring two or fewer goals under Adam Oates.

So, there's that.

THAT, truly is mind boggling.

So could another conclusion be that the Caps were starved of PP success in those games?

I mean that stat just doesn't seem possible. Who was the poor sucker they beat in that lone game - Florida?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00