Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Devils - 4/4/14 7:00 PM Caps Lose 2-1

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
@kcarrera #Caps lines in NJ morning skate: Grabovski-Backstrom-Ovi; Johansson-Beagle-Brouwer; Chimera-Fehr-Ward; Penner-Kuznetsov-Wilson.

@kcarrera #Caps D pairs in skate: Alzner-Carlson; Brouillette-Green; Orlov-Strachan; Erskine-Carrick.

@kcarrera Erskine and Carrick appear to be the scratches on D.

@ChuckGormleyCSN Jaro Halak first off. Expected to face Devils. #CapitalsTalk

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Tyson recalled

Good thing we didn't paper down Carrick!

George is just dominating.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Which will occur tonight:
a) Ovechkin scores ES goal
b) Marcus Johansson opts not to drop pass
c) Defense does not allow the Devils any 2 on 1 break aways
d) none of the above

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Oates is a former Devil now deviling the Caps.

:devdance:

Go Caps.

Score a goal.

Prevent odd man rushes.

Beat the snot out of the guy that beats the snot out of a Cap.

Play desperate.

Is any of this possible?

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Whatever. Blow it up.

GMGM, Oates, Ovechkin, Green, Laich out. Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Wilson, Burakovsky are the new core. Get McDavid next year, add whoever they get this year plus whoever they get for the old young guns, and target 2016 as the opening of the new window.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
going to be interesting to see if this team has any fight left in them or if they all just gonna quit on Oates and mail these last games in

BlockJockHalak

Mar 25, 2014
Now Oates can present to his former team what remarkable progress he's made :shakehead

Just 6 more torturous games left...we can do this

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
going to be interesting to see if this team has any fight left in them or if they all just gonna quit on Oates and mail these last games in

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. I hope they don't mail it in though. I want Ovie to hit 50. That's what's left to root for beyond the teeny chance the Caps will get in the playoffs.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We win or play well then it shows some heart.

If we lose we improve our draft position and help usher Oates/GMGM out.

Win win

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Whatever. Blow it up.

GMGM, Oates, Ovechkin, Green, Laich out. Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, Wilson, Burakovsky are the new core. Get McDavid next year, add whoever they get this year plus whoever they get for the old young guns, and target 2016 as the opening of the new window.

much rather trade backstrom than ovechkin. he has declined so much since that concusion (or wife+baby) to the point where the only thing he is elite at is making soft flat passes. his defensive game has regressed as he doesnt engage/battle players in the defensive zone as much anymore, he cant score and usually shoots right at the goalies chest, and hes becoming as lazy and soft as green. if you trade ovechkin our best goal scorers would be ward and brouwer, who im not sure will ever hit 20 goals again. if you trade backstrom kuznetsov or grabo would take his spot on the PP and well his even strength production isn't even that impressive anymore. and by that i mean a guy like kesler could replace that much better than any forward could replace ovechkins goal scoring.

but really i dont think its a good idea to trade either of them unless you have a #1 defensemen like subban or seabrook coming back.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
If caps want to have a chance to squeek in the playoffs by some miracle, they'll have to go 6-0 , any regulation loss and they are for sure done I believe. So, yeah snow balls chance in hell.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I'm scared this team is going to win 6 straight and make the playoffs.

I'm also afraid that if they don't make the playoffs and win the draft lottery somehow this will be a good thing and a reason to keep McPhee, and then McPhee will decide Oates will be the best coach to develop whoever they pick.

Also, people who suggest trading Ovechkin should look at how many goals Backstrom has and then look at how many of assists are secondary assists. He can't even make a cross seam pass to Ovechkin on the PP anymore, whereas Ovechkin does it all the time.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If caps want to have a chance to squeek in the playoffs by some miracle, they'll have to go 6-0 , any regulation loss and they are for sure done I believe. So, yeah snow balls chance in hell.

I don't know...I mean they did it in 2007-2008. But there is definitely a different vibe about this team so I'd probably have to agree with your assessment unless something crazy happens and they get juiced up mentally.

BlockJockHalak

Mar 25, 2014
I'm scared this team is going to win 6 straight and make the playoffs.

I'm also afraid that if they don't make the playoffs and win the draft lottery somehow this will be a good thing and a reason to keep McPhee, and then McPhee will decide Oates will be the best coach to develop whoever they pick.

Well, it is the caps. This season.....:help:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't know...I mean they did it in 2007-2008. But there is definitely a different vibe about this team so I'd probably have to agree with your assessment unless something crazy happens and they get juiced up mentally.

After the April Fool's Day Massacre I don't think this team has any fight left in them. Maybe one or two games MAX.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
After the April Fool's Day Massacre I don't think this team has any fight left in them. Maybe one or two games MAX.

You never know. A single win can create a spark.

But either way something good will come out of tonights game.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
much rather trade backstrom than ovechkin. he has declined so much since that concusion (or wife+baby) to the point where the only thing he is elite at is making soft flat passes. his defensive game has regressed as he doesnt engage/battle players in the defensive zone as much anymore, he cant score and usually shoots right at the goalies chest, and hes becoming as lazy and soft as green. if you trade ovechkin our best goal scorers would be ward and brouwer, who im not sure will ever hit 20 goals again. if you trade backstrom kuznetsov or grabo would take his spot on the PP and well his even strength production isn't even that impressive anymore. and by that i mean a guy like kesler could replace that much better than any forward could replace ovechkins goal scoring.

but really i dont think its a good idea to trade either of them unless you have a #1 defensemen like subban or seabrook coming back.

Trade em both.

This things gonna go way down before it starts going up. Ward, Brouwer, and Grabo will be long gone by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad