GDT: Capitals @ Devils - 3:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
It's easy to understand why Palms isn't staying nice of you to imply I'm ignorant to that. Saying that though you need more than what he wants to bring in...depth plugs. Whether it come via trade or fa, we need to bring in some legit talent.

The time for bringing in talent will be when the team proves it can win. Doing so beforehand risks bringing in redundant pieces that will decline before the competitive window opens.

All you can cobble together through free agency and “move the timeline up” trades are teams like the current Coyotes.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I know Fittzys philosophy is not to acquire vet talent before the kids are fully developed and ready to contend but we're gonna ruin them if that's the continued plan moving forward. To think we're even gonna be younger after Palms is gone and possibly kulikov and Murray is horrifying...we're making them sacrificial lambs
Fitz does not want to give out long term deals to vets. Look who he acquired this off season - Kulikov, Murray, and Crawford. Vets on short term deals. They are not sacrificial lambs out there - lets not become drama queens. This was a process year - accept that they did not care about the record. They wanted to see what they had with the young players. Did this game look different without Palms - not to me,.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
The time for bringing in talent will be when the team proves it can win. Doing so beforehand risks bringing in redundant pieces that will decline before the competitive window opens.

All you can cobble together through free agency and “move the timeline up” trades are teams like the current Coyotes.
Can you prove you can win without the horses though....Jack has proven he belongs and is showing flashes of being a elite player...go get him help. I like Kouokannen and Govie as much as anyone here but that isn't the answer

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

How about the current Devils - Palms, Subban, Gusev, etc

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Fitz does not want to give out long term deals to vets. Look who he acquired this off season - Kulikov, Murray, and Crawford. Vets on short term deals. They are not sacrificial lambs out there - lets not become drama queens. This was a process year - accept that they did not care about the record. They wanted to see what they had with the young players. Did this game look different without Palms - not to me,.

There was less random falling down on the devils side, I thought

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Line combinations at least had some promise. And at least they are making games exciting to watch for the most part. But it’s strange how they just don’t have the game to match Washington. A veteran team that plays heavy but also skilled. That’s the nightmare matchup.
Today's game maybe says otherwise.

We talk about Washington being big and strong, but what they have done against us more then anything is finish their chances. While that has been a struggle for us no matter who we play.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Can you prove you can win without the horses though....Jack has proven he belongs and is showing flashes of being a elite player...go get him help. I like Kouokannen and Govie as much as anyone here but that isn't the answer

The horses will come through the draft, the way every contending team gets them. I understand being impatient with how long this is taking but it’s really the only way to do it sustainably.

Reactions: Oneiro

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I said this about Crosby the last time we played them, but when Ovi is scoring goals and getting assists it's not luck.
I do agree that when Ovi Backstrom Carlson slow down that team will have to go through it's own rebuild, but there are not many signs that these guys are slowing down right now.

C'mon! Sure Ovi is amazing, possibly the best goal scorer of all time, but everyone else is over achieving big time! Backstrom is a great player, outstanding playmaker and passer, this season he is scoring goals at 21% rate when his career average is 12%. Here's couple of more stats, The Capitals have scored 2nd most goals in the league, but only three teams in the whole league average less shots per game. Unless your name is Ovechkin, those kind of shooting percentages are not sustainable. Capitals have been a competitive and relevant team for the past 15-20 years, just won the cup recently, had a one off year ages ago and got Ovechkin for it. They are definitely lucky. Unfortunately the world isn't fair and this sport isn't fair, or else they'd deserve to be a bottom feeder for the next 20 years.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Faceoffs today they were much better I think they won 35 of 56. That's .625% and guess what they were better on offense without Palms. Faceoffs mean so much.
I must give Zacha credit today he had 7 of 14, so much better, he still goes in my opinion.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Arizona is kind of the higher end of what can happen. You can absolutely have all your moves fail and end up in the basement with a bunch of unmovable contracts.
I agree but that is basically what Shero tried to do. I just listed players on the team and the MarJo, Mueller, etc players for picks trades that in the end only slowed the rebuild down.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
The horses will come through the draft, the way every contending team gets them. I understand being impatient with how long this is taking but it’s really the only way to do it sustainably.
Not impatient I understand the process I'm not saying pull a 2011 panthers and sign 7 guys on July 1st just to get the 3 seed and get ousted rd1 vs us. With all the draft capital and prospects in the system though there's enough there to go get some immediate help even via trade if you want to completely avoid ufa which I get. So yes Holtz is coming...so is Mercer.... so jack waits until he's 22-23 as they develop before we decide we're ready or that they're enough. Nah fam

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Idk I have never been happier about a loss, yes it was frustrating but we dominated the Caps for most of the game. Zajac finally using a shot he's has had his whole career to be frank. Hughes line was down right dominant. Merkley looked damn good. Space trash even looked good! Mack had a bad game, Severson can't catch a break and it seems to tilt him to the moon.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How about the current Devils - Palms, Subban, Gusev, etc
Subban and Gusev point to how difficult it is to get impact veterans. Marcus Johansen was another. Johnsson to a lesser degree is another. A top flight RW would be great, but I doubt we are able to pull it off. And I don't think bringing in OK vets is the answer right now.

I'm all for bringing Zajac back, and keep the majority of the vet D, but Imo it's about letting the young players develop. I legit think they are close.

Reactions: Oneiro

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
C'mon! Sure Ovi is amazing, possibly the best goal scorer of all time, but everyone else is over achieving big time! Backstrom is a great player, outstanding playmaker and passer, this season he is scoring goals at 21% rate when his career average is 12%. Here's couple of more stats, The Capitals have scored 2nd most goals in the league, but only three teams in the whole league average less shots per game. Unless your name is Ovechkin, those kind of shooting percentages are not sustainable. Capitals have been a competitive and relevant team for the past 15-20 years, just won the cup recently, had a one off year ages ago and got Ovechkin for it. They are definitely lucky.
I know most posters disagree with me, but IMO Wash is a good team in weak division. If there are no major upsets I believe the team that gets out of the East will be an underdog in the "Final 4".

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Subban and Gusev point to how difficult it is to get impact veterans. Marcus Johansen was another. Johnsson to a lesser degree is another. A top flight RW would be great, but I doubt we are able to pull it off. And I don't think bringing in OK vets is the answer right now.

I'm all for bringing Zajac back, and keep the majority of the vet D, but Imo it's about letting the young players develop. I legit think they are close.
Agree 100%.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
More so on Sharangovich imo, but why are we thinking they are not the answer? They were fantastic with Zajac, first game with Hughes they were fantastic.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I know most posters disagree with me, but IMO Wash is a good team in weak division. If there are no major upsets I believe the team that gets out of the East will be an underdog in the "Final 4".
I don't disagree, I'm just anti "Wash is lucky".

Very anti "luck" in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany