Post-Game Talk: Capitals def. Canucks - 5-2 (Stecher, Baertschi)

Winner?

• Vancouver

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Do the Capitals play in Washington State, or Washington, D.C.? I'm don't know, Jordan.

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This team could be so much better if they just benched Gudbranson and put in Biega. He can't defend worth a damn and the offense dies whenever he makes a move with the puck. Dude can't even make a simple breakout pass.

Put him out of his misery already.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Silver lining for me: I have Carlson and Oshie in my pool.

Anyhoo...

Clearly in over their heads with the Champs. It's not just that the talent level isn't comparable, it's the poise and execution. How many times do you see the Caps throwing pucks away or making panic moves? Entirely different standard.

Goldobin: I thought he was the best forward tonight. Involved in the play every time he was on the ice. Never stopped working. Vastly superior effort since last season; he keeps up that pace and the results will come eventually.

Boeser: nice to see him putting points up but I can't shake the feeling something's still off with him.

Horvat: Imagine how bad the team would be without him. It's scary. Not that he was even all that good tonight.

Baertschi: Nice goal, but only sporadically effective. Wavers in and out of the play. Entire periods go by without reminding you he's on the team.

Eriksson, Schaller, Virtanen, Granlund: did they play? Lines 2-4 were a blur.

Roussel: Like Dorsett before him, you can understand why you'd want a player like that on the team. Constant motor, constant motormouth...but still not really doing a whole hell of a lot. I totally get that he is just coming off a concussion, but only distinguishable by the occasional roughing call.

Motte: heard his name a few times. Blasted his way through preseason, is now reverting back to "Who's that?" status.

Gaudette: Still like the kid...but obviously still a work very much in progress. Clearly finding the jump from AHL to NHL a huge one, which it obviously is. You just hope he can keep his head above water.

Sutter: yeah, he's there.

Edler & Tanev: clearly the tower of strength. All that shotblocking's eventually going to chop one or two down, and it's going to be ugly when it does.

Pouliot & Stecher: very up and down. Pouliot did better than usual, I thought that Stecher really struggled apart from the fluke goal. Not that that's unusual for NHL dmen up against the Caps, but still.

Hutton & Gudbranson: Orpik is who Gudbranson's fans here think he is. But he's not. He's totally not. That pairing just isn't good. Poor Hutton. It's too bad Green hates him so much.

Nilsson: well, he tried.

Much like the Boston and Winnipeg games. Luck won't save the Canucks in the long run. Much like last season, the difference in possession eventually comes back to bite you and winds up with a lot more pucks in our net than theirs. The more shots that need to be blocked, the more that'll eventually hit bone instead of plastic armour.

Can't help but think a familiar pattern is emerging.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well that was junk

Unfortunately the Champs wanted to clean up their game and we were the flat footed prey

Eriksson Virtanen Gudbranson and Schaller need to be charged a rental fee for wearing NHL jerseys tonight..........awful

Sutter Roussel Granlund Motte defensive players who at least battled but supply so liitle playing from behind, same has to be said about Tanev and Edler

Gaudette i thought had his best game and looks to be turning a corner. He's on the cusp of some offense IMO.

Hutton Goldobin Pouliot Baertschi were making plays but need more impact on the scoreboard in the end.

Stecher has been much better this year but tonight was erratic and too many mistakes..............sure would be nice to have an adequate offensive pair once Edler and Tanev play the top lines. A couple 30+ pt guys is that too much to ask?

Boeser is frustrating the hell out of me right now. I know he's not a great skater but just too casual and high risk with his passes and puck possession and his set up movements are slower than last year....damn.

Horvat is a horse....best player by a mile....drove the play continuously to get so little support. i liked Goldobins hands and creativity again but for the love of god can you and Brock try a little harder to support the cycle and puck possession when Bo was getting gang tackled....not good enough.

Man am i looking forward to Pettersson coming back

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not to take anything away from the Caps because they are a superior team ,but I think that the schedule has caught up with the Canucks..

They just didn’t have the energy to make a game of it..Looks like a team that needs a few days off.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I think you need to split up Horvat and Boeser. They're both scorers who don't particularly pass very well. When EP comes back, I'd like to see Boeser with EP and Goldobin staying with Horvat. A playmaker and a scorer on each line.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not to take anything away from the Caps because they are a superior team ,but I think that the schedule has caught up with the Canucks..

They just didn’t have the energy to make a game of it..Looks like a team that needs a few days off.
pretty fair statement as they had a suprising amount of jump last game for just getting back. We were outclassed but the legs were pretty flat as a whole.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Not sure this is a plus. He has 9 NHL games played. 0 goals. 0 assists. He’s very very meh.

Outside of one person on this board, I don't think anyone expects him to be anything more than a good 3rd line centre. Even if he struggles to put up points this season, there are enough good signs to suggest that he'll have a solid career in that role.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I remember laughing last year when people thought BB was better than Bo Horvat. Still makes me laugh actually. Not even close and tonight showed that. Actually all year has shown that. Ask any defender in the league who they would rather not play against. It’s Horvat 10 out of 10 times. Brock can barely skate at an NHL level.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I was making fun of the prediction that he would score 40 this year and outscore Boeser.
wow that was quite a stretch? someone had to be trolling

i predicted 20, he's gonna have to move his feet more if thats even a possibility.....worst game he's played all year tonight

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's going to be beyond painful watching Louie Eriksson for another three seasons. Surely if there's any accountability from the coaching staff, the guy will be benched. Frankly I'd rather see some guy from Utica out there busting his butt on every shift. I don't care what Green's spin is about his defensive game. You can't pay a guy $6m a year to be a checker. You can find a guy earning $750,000 to do that.

Through nine games Eriksson has nine shots on goal, and he spent a good portion of that playing with Pettersson. It's beyond pathetic. If Benning isn't embarrassed by this UFA signing, he should be.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Satisfied with the Canucks play so far this season. They are playing hard and our young guns are driving the offence (Horvat, Boeser, EP, Goldobin). A game like this shows how far away this team is from being legitimately competitive. The Caps were Bigger, Stronger, Faster, Smarter & More Skilled, they made it look easy.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Holy **** dude, really? My bad.....I'll try spelling it right for you so you have a clear understanding of who I am talking about.
Oh, I know who you’re talking about. I’m just pointing out that you’re spelling your own player’s name wrong. Doesn’t seem like too big an ask to get their name right. It’s right on the back of their jersey.

No need to overreact mate.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Oh, I know who you’re talking about. I’m just pointing out that you’re spelling your own player’s name wrong. Doesn’t seem like too big an ask to get their name right. It’s right on the back of their jersey.

No need to overreact mate.

I mean to be fair how many times did you see that jersey.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Canucks looked vastly inferior against the defending Cup champions. They also talked about staying out of the penalty box and failed to do exactly that. Fairly predictable result. At least they worked hard.

Just did the math.. 7 games in 14 nights and over 15,000 kilometers. Banged up, down 2 key centers and they must've been dead tired but they still battled hard. Loved the effort. Refs killed the momentum in the beginning of the 3rd with some bogus calls. All in all I'm proud of the boys tonight.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's going to be beyond painful watching Louie Eriksson for another three seasons. Surely if there's any accountability from the coaching staff, the guy will be benched. Frankly I'd rather see some guy from Utica out there busting his butt on every shift. I don't care what Green's spin is about his defensive game. You can't pay a guy $6m a year to be a checker. You can find a guy earning $750,000 to do that.

Through nine games Eriksson has nine shots on goal, and he spent a good portion of that playing with Pettersson. It's beyond pathetic. If Benning isn't embarrassed by this UFA signing, he should be.
yes if there is any possible way to punt Eriksson and Gudbranson they need to get it done.

6 million should get you around 50- 60pts and 4 million on defense should get you 20-35pts and a good defender. Just no way to put lipstick on those horrendous mistakes

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

member 290103

I remember laughing last year when people thought BB was better than Bo Horvat. Still makes me laugh actually. Not even close and tonight showed that. Actually all year has shown that. Ask any defender in the league who they would rather not play against. It’s Horvat 10 out of 10 times. Brock can barely skate at an NHL level.

Yes, superb point. Brock Boeser is terrible. He has just confused everyone up until now with his outstanding play. You are so right that it’s all been a mirage and he’s really no good.

It’s too ludicrous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad