Post-Game Talk: Capitals def. Canucks - 5-2 (Stecher, Baertschi)

Winner?

• Vancouver

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Do the Capitals play in Washington State, or Washington, D.C.? I'm don't know, Jordan.

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Just did the math.. 7 games in 14 nights and over 15,000 kilometers. Banged up, down 2 key centers and they must've been dead tired but they still battled hard. Loved the effort. Refs killed the momentum in the beginning of the 3rd with some bogus calls. All in all I'm proud of the boys tonight.
Just think 70 plus more games to go and the defense or goaltending hasn't had their annual injuries yet. Stop with the big travel card, all teams out west have big travel, you make it sound like the Canuck's are the only one.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
^ Re: Goldobin...

I only watched the 3rd period and I turned to my buddy and said Goldy doesn't have it tonight.

So maybe he's referring to his play when the game was on the line..

(I kinda wanna watch the first two periods now to see how good he was early, heh)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Goldobin was instrumental in setting up 2 or 3 grade A scoring chances. And he was aggressive on the puck, on the back check. It seemed like he was doing lots of good things but wasn't getting results...I didn't watch the 3rd too closely. Was he cheating a little when they got up by 2?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Just did the math.. 7 games in 14 nights and over 15,000 kilometers. Banged up, down 2 key centers and they must've been dead tired but they still battled hard. Loved the effort. Refs killed the momentum in the beginning of the 3rd with some bogus calls. All in all I'm proud of the boys tonight.

I missed game while at work watched when I got home after reading the boards here I expected a very ugly game so surprise saw them work hard had chances agree refs managing a bit all in all saw kids compete well the amount of doom and gloom on these boards lol .
Expected Caps to come to play after Edmonton loss and agree travel and injured players out caught them in 3rd lots of miles with no real day off yet .

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
My observations tonight and so far ...

I like Schaller and Rousell, good adds. They are what you want in the bottom 6 -- speed, size, strength. Sutter too i guess.
Boeser is coming along, but slow. Still has that dangerous quality.
Horvat is awesome. He goes for the tough plays, should be an inspiration for the other guys. Clearly cap'n material, but ok to wait as theyll suck this year.
Baerschi im not sold on. Not offensive enough for how little physicality he brings. Reminds me of Nyquist; you always want more.
Vitranen has become too invisible lately, he can't afford that. Was looking better early. He needs to keep up top-6 calibre play, didnt last night.
Gaudette has held his own, couple nice plays, no eyesores.
Granlund is fine, same w Motte.
Ericsson is a disaster, needs to sit. The effort level is pathetic. Did he even touch the puck last night?
Goldobin has been the most positive story of the young guys (after EP.). He looks legit out there, can see his confidence growing. He looks big too.

Edler, Tanev and Hutton have been above average i think.
Stetcher is ok, but is on the borderline of not enough speed and skill for his size. Sometimes he looks like JM Liles out there, has to do more of that. Often he looks outmatched and gets squashed.

Pouliot and Guddy don't cut it IMO. DP just not good enough at anything, and Guddy too slow and not enough hockey IQ. If/when we have Hughes and the big russian kid the D will be much better off.... and an improved OJ would help too. As it is not we're getting by, but this 6 is bottom 5 in the league, and includes no young guys to get excited about.

Perhaps not saying anything new here, but overall they've been out-performing their talent level due to sheer hustle, and that's great. 5-4 with the schedule they have had is good. If EP can come back and continue to be a difference maker they could keep this up for a while, some good stuff to build on here. But a bottom 5 finish is still good money.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I dunno i thought Goldobin has been struggling to finish some great chances. Hes gotta start burrying some of those oppurtunities and maybe thats what Coach Green is referring to

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Lmao, if anything, those back to back penalties handicapped Goldobin & the team from doing anything noteworthy in the 3rd, cause the game changed from the Capitals perspective once they got the lead.
Hes played great, much better than last season. You can actually see the consistency in his play on a nightly basis now. I got about 6 guys who should sit ahead of him or get riled on.
As for Green, i just think hes playing the "I need more" game. He sees hes a scorer and is just trying to push his buttons atm. If not, then damn, the poster above has got a point.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Louie Erickson is exactly the opposite of how green wants to play. It’s painful how slow he is. Tragic

if we had signed him for $1.5m as a ufa we'd be fine with his play. but he has absolutely failed to live up to his salary and he appears to put out nothing extra.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Goldobin was instrumental in setting up 2 or 3 grade A scoring chances. And he was aggressive on the puck, on the back check. It seemed like he was doing lots of good things but wasn't getting results...I didn't watch the 3rd too closely. Was he cheating a little when they got up by 2?
He's such a talent and he made a bunch of nice set up plays and almost sniped the top corner early. As the game wore on and they needed a push i thought he wasn't willing to support pucks and was too easily pushed out of the play. Just spit ballin here but maybe Green got annoyed because i remember a couple occasions where he was standing watching Horvat and not helping or supporting the cycle until it was too late and these made for some easy outs for the Caps.

When it comes to the coach he wants players to play to the expectation of their roles. Goldobin has been tasked to help Bo and Brock create offense. He's making some plays but the results are not there and when your behind and he doesnt get "stuck in" it probably pisses him off. It's like the Eriksson comment the other day. Everyone is like WTF Loui Eriksson praised of all people? But when you take the monetary part of the equation that Green doesn't care about out and look at the role he had with Sutter and Roussel to shut down the Bruins top line you can see why he might give the praise......they did a great job of what was asked.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Not a great game but you have to expect that given where the team's at, the heavy schedule and the fact they were playing the Cup champs. Thought they held up well physically, just not enough legit top end talent. Don't agree with Green on Goldobin, there were worse players last night, and I don't like how guys like Eriksson and Gudbranson never seem to get called out while Goldobin has been a whipping boy comparatively. Anybody have a count on how many goals, solid chances, and 2-on-1's the Canucks give up per game after defensemen are caught pinching? Seems pretty frequent to me and as much as I like the aggressiveness, they don't have the horses to pinch like that and won't until Hughes and Juolevi are in the lineup but it does bode well for when they are.

Anyway, not a throw away game in my opinion. While not overly effective, they competed pretty hard and this game in addition to some of the other recent ones against top teams will serve the team well as they come together. It would be increasingly beneficial if there were more young guys to experience it though.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
John Garrett is in my top ten things I love about hockey.

No I don't know why. Just love the guy.
John Garret is a complete moron. The sooner he gets off the broadcast I'd be so much happier. I'd pay extra to be able to watch a game with no commentary just the in-rink sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->