OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I highly recommend the books. I'll admit I'm pre-disposed to like them because I'm a huge fan of more "grounded" scifi and fantasy like ASOIAF, Black Company, Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, and Mass Effect (basically anything at the "One Big Lie" level on Moh's Scale of Science Fiction Hardness), but it might be my favorite book series. The show does a pretty good job of staying true to them too, so it shouldn't be too jarring to make the switch.

And if you're a binge-reader as well, the 9th and final book in the series is due out in 2021, so no worries about an ASOIAF situation!

I actually was holding off on it because I've read that the final book was supposed to be out soon and was just going to get the bundle.

I'm a huge fan of all those shows/series/games except not familiar with Black Company. I cant wait until the Mass Effect Trilogy comes out.

I've been a big ASOIAF fan since it came out, but the long years in between has kind of tired me out. I've already went through this with the Wheel of Time series and Robert Jordan's death. I havent even completed the show's 7th final season yet.

I remember when GoT was at the height of its popularity a few years back and I was at my friend's girlfriend's Halloween dress up party and these two nerdy 20 something year old kids dressed up as GoT characters were arguing in front of me about how long they have been fans of the series. Then one of them asked me how long I've been a fan and I just looked at them and deadpanned "1996". They just looked at me shocked with their mouths open and then ran off and I never saw them again.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
i just pulled off the Stargate and Stargate Atlantis rewatch during early pandemic.....was great....was quite a feat just getting through the sheer size of the content, but made me love both series more even than I did first time. There were some, but not as many as I expected episodes I had never seen, quality SYFY for my tastes.

so much content so little time....I’m a massive multitasker.....3 screens going...almost always....helps me power through.

There is so much good sci fi content out there now... where there was like maybe one good show every decade before. And the quality is so good now. Not just scifi but every genre. Its kind of overwhelming.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh....Black Company....Bought some combined release volume.....liked the first book, 2nd has been hard to get going....

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
finishes well...

Preacher is 4 seasons now? Its been awhile. The last thing I remember was the guy with the butthole for a mouth escaping hell with a nice guy version of Hitler. Maybe I watched past that but thats whats burned into my memory lol. I need to rewatch some parts to jog the old mushy brain. I was actually about to restart the rest of The Boys because of your previous post :laugh:.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
There is so much good sci fi content out there now... where there was like maybe one good show every decade before. And the quality is so good now. Not just scifi but every genre. Its kind of overwhelming.

Would definitely agree there just seems to be some real good stuff for the genre tv/movie. Not sure of the GoT tail chasing but Amazon's big move into the genre with Lotr and WoT was interesting.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Would definitely agree there just seems to be some real good stuff for the genre tv/movie. Not sure of the GoT tail chasing but Amazon's big move into the genre with Lotr and WoT was interesting.

Do you know when they are coming out? I remember Amazon announcing both to great fanfare but haven't heard much since.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I actually was holding off on it because I've read that the final book was supposed to be out soon and was just going to get the bundle.

I'm a huge fan of all those shows/series/games except not familiar with Black Company. I cant wait until the Mass Effect Trilogy comes out.

I've been a big ASOIAF fan since it came out, but the long years in between has kind of tired me out. I've already went through this with the Wheel of Time series and Robert Jordan's death. I havent even completed the show's 7th final season yet.

I remember when GoT was at the height of its popularity a few years back and I was at my friend's girlfriend's Halloween dress up party and these two nerdy 20 something year old kids dressed up as GoT characters were arguing in front of me about how long they have been fans of the series. Then one of them asked me how long I've been a fan and I just looked at them and deadpanned "1996". They just looked at me shocked with their mouths open and then ran off and I never saw them again.

Gotta admit I only read ASOIAF after watching the first season of GoT. Binge-read all the books my first semester in college. Absolutely loved it, but like you my enthusiasm for the series has definitely waned since then. The ending of the show didn't help. I'm sure you've heard it by now, but you're not missing anything by not having watched the final season.

Black Company is to LotR what The Boys is to DC/Marvel - a dark deconstruction of the genre told from the perspective of fairly ordinary assholes in a world where there are a bunch of even bigger assholes with god-like powers fighting each other and killing any ordinary people who get in the way. At least, it starts that way. There are three sets of books - the Books of the North, Books of the South, and Books of the Glittering Stone - that are sort of like seasons in a TV show. After the Books of the North it loses a lot of what makes it unique. I powered through the whole series cause I loved the first set so much, and I definitely recommend the Books of the North, but I wouldn't recommend the rest of the series unless you're really invested in the characters and want to see their stories come to a conclusion.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Do you know when they are coming out? I remember Amazon announcing both to great fanfare but haven't heard much since.
Amazon's Middle Earth series (it's not really LOTR, as it's not set in the 3rd age) is slated to debut in 2021, but we'll see if COVID eventually pushes that back.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I quite like the movie Interstellar (or at least I did when it was released, it's been a few years since I've seen it). That being said, not sure I'd chuck it into the "believable" category. It sets itself up as "hard sci fi" for much of the first two acts, but completely abandons that in the third act. And even among the hard sci fi bits, it just gets stuff entirely wrong at points. I won't bore people here, but I have a whole rant about the orbital mechanics of one of the scenes.

Bore us, please. Ain't much else to talk about these days.

I think most space/sci fi movies get most things wrong technically... I think The Martian with Matt Damon was one of the more technically accurate ones and even it was full of tech liberties.

Besides the simple impossibility of a "warp drive" like Star Trek and Star Wars rely on, one of my favorites is astronauts in open space with their face perfectly visible under the bubble glass of their helmets as if radiation in space just doesn't exist.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

I think most space/sci fi movies get most things wrong technically... I think The Martian with Matt Damon was one of the more technically accurate ones and even it was full of tech liberties.

Besides the simple impossibility of a "warp drive" like Star Trek and Star Wars rely on, one of my favorites is astronauts in open space with their face perfectly visible under the bubble glass of their helmets as if radiation in space just doesn't exist.

My favorite is that 80% of exoworlds have an oxygen-rich Earth-like atmosphere so sureee, take off that helmet buddy.

Reactions: kicksavedave

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

For scifi book/film/tv shows there is a level of 'suspension of belief' to not get too caught up in the minor things. Of course when it is blatant it just kills it.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I was watching season 1 of Star Trek TNG today and I said I can’t believe 2 years from this cheese they start putting out the best sci-fi ever

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For scifi book/film/tv shows there is a level of 'suspension of belief' to not get too caught up in the minor things. Of course when it is blatant it just kills it.

I think it can be important to distinguish between "hard science fiction" and science fantasy (or space operas, space westerns, soft science fiction, etc).

Criticizing the science behind plot elements in a hard sci-fi tends to be a lot more legitimate of a criticism than doing so in a science fantasy setting. When the creators of the sci-fi want you to intentionally feel that "this is a plausible future and these are the plausible consequences of these scientific advancements," the liberties taken with the science can more easily pierce the suspension of disbelief. Now obviously those criticisms have to be balanced against narratives and production needs. For instance, take The Martian. The whole premise of The Martian rests upon the windstorm at the beginning of the movie, yet the atmosphere on Mars is so thin compared to Earth that a windstorm would never have enough force to violently destroy their settlement and threaten to knock over their lander the way it does. It's a pretty significant scientific error in an otherwise pretty darn accurate movie. But, there wouldn't have been much of a plot without it. Similarly, how basically every movie lights space helmets is wrong (internal lighting would essentially blind the people in the suits), but the audience would struggle to see the actors without it, so it's worthy of a pass.

To start off, here's Chris Hadfield's take on a bunch of sci-fi. For Interstellar, he predominantly focused on the third act (where it's transitioned away from hard sci-fi to a softer take on what could happen inside of a black hole).

But my gripes (which aren't to say it's a bad movie, they're just gripes) are more with a few moments in the first couple acts in which the crew is taking time to explain the "science" of orbital mechanics/maneuvers, only for the following scenes to ignore those orbital mechanics.

For example, this scene is probably the worst offender.
VRsAr6L.jpg

During this scene, they realize they cannot get close to "Miller's Planet" due to the time dilation caused by its proximity to the black hole. So they instead opt to orbit the black hole at a greater distance, send a lander down, and then return (as diagrammed on the board there). All that is well and fine. However, during the landing mission, they get held up, and they eventually return later than planned (which results in a 23 year difference compared to orbit due to time dilation). The issue is that the spacecraft couldn't have been in the same place 23 years later. That's not how orbits work. In order for the spacecraft to be orbiting from a larger distance away from the black hole than the planet, it would have have to been moving much slower (the larger the orbit, the slower the orbital velocity). It's why Jupiter takes 12 times as long to rotate around our Sun than the Earth does, because it's orbiting from much further away. So in order for the spacecraft to be in the right position for the lander to return to, they would have either had to be incredibly lucky with the orbital periods (something that would have incredibly low odds, given that they didn't plan for the trip extension) or the spacecraft would have had to be burning fuel for that entire 23 year period (something that also wouldn't have worked with other plot points in the movie, as fuel is set up as a limited resource). The one remaining possibility is if they had "parked" the craft at the L2 Lagrange Point. However, this doesn't work with the time dilation plot point, since Lagrange points exist at points of equilibrium between the gravity of the larger bodies, and thus there would have been extreme amounts of gravity from the black hole at L2 (and thus extreme amounts of time dilation relative to Earth).

It's one of those things that's pretty easy to overlook and move on from, but when they have a scene explicitly to set up the science of a plot point only to get the science wrong, it's kinda frustrating.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

this man gets it....

if you’re one of those people who can’t suspend disbelief in the moment, or can’t ignore some things that contradict physics (or other known scientific principles)....you’re just not going to enjoy what you’re watching.

part of why I love Expanse so much.....they actually recognize G-force is a thing with spaceships!

You rarely see futuristic SYFY deal with it beyond “magical” machinery that typically overrides the laws of physics lol....

when it starts to get absurdly blatant, then yeah....my eyes start rolling at points....but it doesn’t usually tank a movie for me when they go over the top.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I consider “Smart SYFY’ it’s own very worthy sub-category in the SYFY genre.

The Martian was great for that.

Mission to Mars is another I like in that category. I think it’s criminally underrated on Rotten.

some others that quickly come to mind in the smart SYFY genre....

Interstellar
Primer
Sunshine
Moon
Contact
Gattaca

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I consider “Smart SYFY’ it’s own very worthy sub-category in the SYFY genre.

The Martian was great for that.

Mission to Mars is another I like in that category. I think it’s criminally underrated on Rotten.

some others that quickly come to mind in the smart SYFY genre....

Interstellar
Primer
Sunshine
Moon
Contact
Gattaca

I loved Sunshine, even with its weird ending. No one ever mentions it though.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad