OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Forever ago, Ju-On was playing in a local theater and I was doing a write-up on it for the DC alt weekly. So I was at home, at night, alone in my dark bedroom watching a VHS screener of of Ju-On. In the middle of the movie, one of my roommates came home--without me noticing--and immediately recognized what I was watching. So she snuck up the stairs and stood just outside my bedroom door and starting making the goddamned Onryo croaking/death-rattle noise and it scared the shit out of me and I screamed and she laughed and that's the story.
Punishable by death, imo.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I looooove horror....but the best horrors....I don’t need more than 1:4o in length unless it’s exceptional.

The Ring series.....meh.....first one solid....then it leaks oil badly.

Sinister was good. Love the Insidious/Annabelle world they’ve crafted with Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga playing the Warren couple.....

I watched some of that universe (Conjuring and Insidious mostly) but I haven't gotten around to the Annabelle ones or others? I heard that one of the Annabelle ones was actually good?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
From that list above with the heart rate experiment, I dont see how some of them were all that scary. Like A Quiet Place. I love John Krasinski ever since The Office and I enjoyed the movie, but that felt kind of like a sci fi action/thriller.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I watched some of that universe (Conjuring and Insidious mostly) but I haven't gotten around to the Annabelle ones or others? I heard that one of the Annabelle ones was actually good?

Annabelle Creation was my favorite horror in 2017....the whole world they have crafted, with the artifacts that couple has collected.....limitless possibilities...

Reactions: tenken00

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
From that list above with the heart rate experiment, I dont see how some of them were all that scary. Like A Quiet Place. I love John Krasinski ever since The Office and I enjoyed the movie, but that felt kind of like a sci fi action/thriller.

agreed....but it has monsters that terrorize and kill....so sub-genre again.....SYFY-Horror.

Ohh.....Horror comedies I love.....Netflix, The Babysitter and The Babysitter (2) Killer Queen......damn fun entertainment.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
My 4 favorite works of sci-fi are Star Trek The Next Generation, Fringe, the Planetary comic series, and The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Sword Art Online is on Netflix, great anime where players are trapped in an MMO and on life support IRL

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I have a lot of sci-fi movies I like but I saw The 5th Element again the other day. That’s a damn good movie.

My favorite horror/sci-fi movies are the first 2 Alien movies. I believe Alien was the first horror type movie I saw as a kid. To this day whenever my cat hisses at my dog it makes me jump ever so slightly.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Since we're in sci-fi talk I mentioned it just a few pages ago but Jurassic Park is a perfect movie. Great special effects, soundtrack, acting (Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough in particular), and the first scene with the T-rex is all-time iconic. Perfect elements of action, adventure, and horror.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Since we're in sci-fi talk I mentioned it just a few pages ago but Jurassic Park is a perfect movie. Great special effects, soundtrack, acting (Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough in particular), and the first scene with the T-rex is all-time iconic. Perfect elements of action, adventure, and horror.

Agreed. Jeff Goldblum stole the show in another pretty good sci-fi movie, Independence Day.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have a lot of sci-fi movies I like but I saw The 5th Element again the other day. That’s a damn good movie.

My favorite horror/sci-fi movies are the first 2 Alien movies. I believe Alien was the first horror type movie I saw as a kid. To this day whenever my cat hisses at my dog it makes me jump ever so slightly.

5th Element holds up so well. Tons of replay value.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The most times I've seen a movie in the theater was The Abyss..loved that movie. I believe it was seven times.

I think that’s where Ed Harris became one of my all time favorite actors.

in my head, I always have this running list of “if I was doing a movie, which actors would I absolutely want for any part, just to work with them”.....Ed Harris for sure on that list for me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. Jeff Goldblum stole the show in another pretty good sci-fi movie, Independence Day.

im sure you’ll get very mixed responses for Independence Day.

me....I love well done campy movies. Still love the President’s speech scene. Worst scene......subway with Vivica Fox and the dog leaping to avoid the doomsday type explosion......ahh well, can’t all be perfect....

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I like how Independence Day director Roland Emmerich was like, "We need a dramatic actor to play the President of the United States. How about that guy who played the male lead in Spaceballs?"

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
im sure you’ll get very mixed responses for Independence Day.

me....I love well done campy movies. Still love the President’s speech scene. Worst scene......subway with Vivica Fox and the dog leaping to avoid the doomsday type explosion......ahh well, can’t all be perfect....

Yes the acting at times was a bit much but the plot and graphics were great and Goldblum, the guy from Taxi and Randy Quaid were great.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Almost finished it about an eps and a half left but yeah its solid. Subtitled is the only way to fly.

solid acting.....I hate reading my TV/movies, but it’s the only way to enjoy the real acting.

Fauda, Narcos, must watches in the native tongue IMO.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
solid acting.....I hate reading my TV/movies, but it’s the only way to enjoy the real acting.

Fauda, Narcos, must watches in the native tongue IMO.

Barbarians did seem somewhat squeezed into only six episodes. Need moar gifs.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

f0412f97307c48477ba10a82fdce0b3a4207e152.gifv

960x0.jpg

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed....8 minimum, but damn....prefer 10 if good.

BTW....looks like The Last Kingdom season 5 is on its way....

We’re faced with that problem now, getting into season five where Uhtred is technically… I think he starts at 54 and ends up at 60 in the books,” he said. “That’s a problem right now because how do we make it look like Uhtred has aged without it looking comical? We’re working on it.”

Reactions: usiel

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Agreed....8 minimum, but damn....prefer 10 if good.

BTW....looks like The Last Kingdom season 5 is on its way....

We’re faced with that problem now, getting into season five where Uhtred is technically… I think he starts at 54 and ends up at 60 in the books,” he said. “That’s a problem right now because how do we make it look like Uhtred has aged without it looking comical? We’re working on it.”

Oh thanks for that update had not gotten around to see if it got renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->