Post-Game Talk: Capitals at Rangers - March 29 (Moderator advice in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
It bugs me that Boyle and Yandle were so good on the Sharks and Coyotes power plays respectively but can't do a thing to help the anemic Rangers PP...maybe our core group just sucks at it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Then that's a problem because they suck.

McDonagh returning to form is the biggest thing. He went from Drew Doughty lite to Drew Carey lite. But we've been waiting a whole season now, I just don't know if he's ever gonna be that player again.
:laugh:

Well at least Hayes scored lol

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Our defense is, for the most part, locked up long term (McDonagh, Staal, Girardi). I doubt Boyle is going to be sent packing, and Yandle (despite the terrible game today) is someone who should be kept. Klein is on a super-sweet deal.

How are we addressing the D? This our D for the foreseeable future.

Thank you well said. Our cap and all the trades have handcuffed us. This is the d we will have for a while. If we can't win with this defense this team will not come close to winning a cup because the d has to be our strength

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hold up. I agree with you. Staal and Girardi are weak in AVs system. Skjei is a defenseman who can presumably skate the puck out of the zone with gusto. If we are going to re-sign Yandle, and having McDonagh and Skjei, people might not be happy but Staal should be traded (I'd prefer Girardi, but we can't seem to hold on to/draft right handed defenseman).

I don't think Staal is an issue. He's a great suppressor and if paired with a mover, he's still effective. Boyle gives him that. Boyle is at 54.1% CF. Every other D-man on the team except Hunwick is below 50. So that pair has succeeded.

Yandle is the last thing we need. Sather tried to get a PMD and I commend him for recognizing the issue, but let's call a spade a spade, Yandle is afraid to get hit. As soon as he gets the puck he wants to toss it away. That also seems to be the issue with McDonagh ever since he got hurt. Neither one of them ever try to skate it out.

Moreover, every single regular forward on this team except Glass and Stepan are above 50% in CF. Every regular D-man but Boyle is below 50. That is the most damning condemnation of a defense I've ever seen.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Its been more than 2 games.

And also lets be frank we lost against 3 teams we despise and beat a team that we probably want to make playoffs and knock out either bruins or caps. Ironically we did the opposite lol

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
That 05/06 team shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Apples and oranges as this team actually has talent and a defense.

We were in first most of that season that year and lost it the last week of that same season. They nosedived at the worst time. That was Jags' MVP worthy season and Lundqvist's rookie year.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
This is the price we pay to the hockey gods in exchange for a Tanner Glass goal.

Moses warned us about this.

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Say to Aaron, 'Stretch out your hand with your staff over the rivers, over the streams and over the pools, and make frogs come up on the land of Egypt.'" So Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt, and the frogs came up and covered the land of Egypt.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
you guys cant' be serious? its the past few games we've looked like ****.. playing desperate teams are deadly and your not going to win every game some of you guys expect.. 82-0 has never been done.

they'll figure it out.. a little adversity is good

This, by the way some people are overreacting around here you would think people expected us to win every game down the stretch. A couple of slaps in the face by teams that are desperate is not at all a bad thing at all, come back down to earth and build it back up before the PO's.

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
I don't think Staal is an issue. He's a great suppressor and if paired with a mover, he's still effective. Boyle gives him that. Boyle is at 54.1% CF. Every other D-man on the team except Hunwick is below 50. So that pair has succeeded.

Yandle is the last thing we need. Sather tried to get a PMD and I commend him for recognizing the issue, but let's call a spade a spade, Yandle is afraid to get hit. As soon as he gets the puck he wants to toss it away. That also seems to be the issue with McDonagh ever since he got hurt. Neither one of them ever try to skate it out.

Moreover, every single regular forward on this team except Glass and Stepan are above 50% in CF. Every regular D-man but Boyle is below 50. That is the most damning condemnation of a defense I've ever seen.
Fuzzy math again. Forwards are above 50%, so what? They can't sustain a forecheck, you know real hockey ... :shakehead

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
This is the price we pay to the hockey gods in exchange for a Tanner Glass goal.

Moses warned us about this.

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Say to Aaron, 'Stretch out your hand with your staff over the rivers, over the streams and over the pools, and make frogs come up on the land of Egypt.'" So Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt, and the frogs came up and covered the land of Egypt.

Maybe the team was creeped out by AV's reaction to Glass' goal that night. :laugh:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Nobody should be worried. The team will bring it full force once the playoffs begin. It's only natural to let up a bit once you've clinched the playoffs. Guys don't want to get hurt, and don't go hard.

Its human nature. Once the playoffs start, all of that goes out of the window and it becomes a war.

Have faith, they will turn it on when it counts.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
That 05/06 team shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Apples and oranges as this team actually has talent and a defense.

Shouldn't have been in the playoffs? We were first in the division for a large portion of the season and lost it in the last game of the season IIRC. If not, it was very close to the end of the season. How would that be apples to oranges?

Also we had a deadly first line. I don't see how that's lacking talent.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Honestly...how does this even make sense? Are you talking 5v5? What shifts are Boyle and a Forward playing D to offset all the forwards other time spent playing with 2 dmen below 50%...?

Not even trying to be a smartass, I have no idea how this is possible unless it doesn't account for special teams.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The forwards vacant the zone to quickly looking for the stretch pass and when that doesn't work and the d men get forechecked hard it becomes a turn over fest

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Shouldn't have been in the playoffs? We were first in the division for a large portion of the season and lost it in the last game of the season IIRC. If not, it was very close to the end of the season. How would that be apples to oranges?

Also we had a deadly first line. I don't see how that's lacking talent.

That was a team that was riding a hot Jagr in the anti-obstruction crusade era. We were in our first year after the purge before the lockout, and we witnessed the arrival of Lundqvist.

We also finished 6th in the conference after hobbling in, and we were beat by Jersey in the playoffs for the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad