Post-Game Talk: Capitals at Rangers - March 29 (Moderator advice in OP)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Really not that worried, everything thats gone wrong this weekend can be fixed. Getting outworked is nothing new for a team on top in March, we kicked the **** out of the Ducks and Sens within the last week while also putting on a couple stinkers. Its all about finding consistency at this point and tightening things up which is something this team is more than capable of doing.

Once we get MSL and Klein back things will settle out with the lines and D pairings.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Same formula we’ve seen. Big, heavy forecheck by players that can skate / aren’t total plugs is almost impossible to overcome.

Rangers dmen obviously struggle under pressure. What is a huge issue, that rarely gets brought up, is that the forwards at times are completely incapable of sustaining a forecheck. If passing lanes are clogged, they constantly turn the puck over. Would love to know what % of offense this year was generated on the rush.

Kreider and Fast had me pulling my hair out. But Yandle…honestly it was tough to tell the difference between him and Summers tonight. Awful.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Every stat predicted this. Can't sustain success when you're awful at zone exits. Defense needs to be addressed in the offseason, and McDonagh needs to forget this year ever happened.

Our defense is, for the most part, locked up long term (McDonagh, Staal, Girardi). I doubt Boyle is going to be sent packing, and Yandle (despite the terrible game today) is someone who should be kept. Klein is on a super-sweet deal.

How are we addressing the D? This our D for the foreseeable future.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Is it a bad stretch or is it just regressing to the mean? I guess we are going to find out. There's a reason I dont trust this team as much as last season.

tlallstar6

Jan 24, 2008
Need MSL back if only so Fast can get back to the 4th line so it actually has a positive impact on the game.

Klein...goes without saying.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
People need to remembee Klein and MSL are out. Once they return, stability will return to the lineup.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our defense is, for the most part, locked up long term (McDonagh, Staal, Girardi). I doubt Boyle is going to be sent packing, and Yandle (despite the terrible game today) is someone who should be kept. Klein is on a super-sweet deal.

How are we addressing the D? This our D for the foreseeable future.

Then that's a problem because they suck.

McDonagh returning to form is the biggest thing. He went from Drew Doughty lite to Drew Carey lite. But we've been waiting a whole season now, I just don't know if he's ever gonna be that player again.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Shades of the 05-06 team. An MVP level season from our number 1 gun, only to back into the playoffs on a losing streak. History lesson: we got swept in the first round that year.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Then that's a problem because they suck.

McDonagh returning to form is the biggest thing. He went from Drew Doughty lite to Drew Carey lite. But we've been waiting a whole season now, I just don't know if he's ever gonna be that player again.

Hold up. I agree with you. Staal and Girardi are weak in AVs system. Skjei is a defenseman who can presumably skate the puck out of the zone with gusto. If we are going to re-sign Yandle, and having McDonagh and Skjei, people might not be happy but Staal should be traded (I'd prefer Girardi, but we can't seem to hold on to/draft right handed defenseman).

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Shades of the 05-06 team. An MVP level season from our number 1 gun, only to back into the playoffs on a losing streak. History lesson: we got swept in the first round that year.

That 05/06 team shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Apples and oranges as this team actually has talent and a defense.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
At this point the player that is bothering me most is Dominic Moore... He stinks up the ice for his whole shift with the fourth line and then half of the next centers shift cuz he refuses to get off the ice... He lost all his good attributes from last year.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I really think what is just as bad for the Rangers' possession is that the forwards CAN NOT sustain a forecheck in the offensive zone.

It is create on the rush, or make a cross ice pass in the ozone...or turnover and back the other way. The pressure the Caps 4th line sustained is something the Rnagers really struggle to do.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Its been 2 ****ing games:laugh:

This place overreacted after back to back weekend losses against Boston and Philly last year. I expect more of the same now.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
at this point, just fast forward me to the PO and let's go from there.

Sincerely, Lerb.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I was hoping this kind of spell wouldn't happen but I sort of expected it. Other teams are more desperate than the Rangers right now. A slump was inevitable. Most other top teams have had or are having a similar streak.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
you guys cant' be serious? its the past few games we've looked like ****.. playing desperate teams are deadly and your not going to win every game some of you guys expect.. 82-0 has never been done.

they'll figure it out.. a little adversity is good

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I really think what is just as bad for the Rangers' possession is that the forwards CAN NOT sustain a forecheck in the offensive zone.

It is create on the rush, or make a cross ice pass in the ozone...or turnover and back the other way. The pressure the Caps 4th line sustained is something the Rnagers really struggle to do.

I completely agree with you. This team has become a one trick pony for lack of a better term. If you compare it to last season we had the 3rd and fourth lines which could play a cycle game and create offense off that, now we have 1 line that can do that, its a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad